Old 05-06-2010, 08:37 AM
Roger Mason

Default x86 boot failure

Hello all,

I just built a new machine (celeron 3 GHz) using a script that builds
the kernel using genkernel and a config that is copied from that of the
kernel on the install cd. The latter was downloaded and burned from a
very recent autobuild.

The build process appears to complete successfully, with nothing
untoward in the logs. However, the machine will not boot but hangs at
this point in the process:

root (hd0,0)

kernel /boot/kernel-genkernel-x86-2.6.32-gentoo-r7 root=/dev/ram0 init=linuxrc ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/sda3 vga=791

[Linux-bzImage, setup=0x3000, size=0x2a8d80]

This is the grub.conf:

default 0
timeout 5

title Gentoo genkernel-x86-2.6.32-gentoo-r7
root (hd0,0)

kernel /boot/kernel-genkernel-x86-2.6.32-gentoo-r7 root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/sda3 vga=791
initrd /boot/initramfs-genkernel-x86-2.6.32-gentoo-r7

I have verified that the names of the kernel and initrd on the disk
match those in grub.conf. In any case a wrong filename is usually
signalled as 'not found' during the boot process.

Can anyone suggest how to debug this?

Thanks,
Roger

Old 05-06-2010, 11:52 AM
Mick

On 6 May 2010 09:37, Roger Mason <rmason@mun.ca> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I just built a new machine (celeron 3 GHz) using a script that builds
> the kernel using genkernel and a config that is copied from that of the
> kernel on the install cd. *The latter was downloaded and burned from a
> very recent autobuild.
>
> The build process appears to complete successfully, with nothing
> untoward in the logs. *However, the machine will not boot but hangs at
> this point in the process:
>
> root (hd0,0)
>
> Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
> kernel /boot/kernel-genkernel-x86-2.6.32-gentoo-r7 root=/dev/ram0 init=linuxrc ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/sda3 vga=791
>
> [Linux-bzImage, setup=0x3000, size=0x2a8d80]
>
> This is the grub.conf:
>
> default 0
> timeout 5
>
> title Gentoo genkernel-x86-2.6.32-gentoo-r7
> root (hd0,0)
>
> kernel /boot/kernel-genkernel-x86-2.6.32-gentoo-r7 root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/sda3 vga=791
> initrd /boot/initramfs-genkernel-x86-2.6.32-gentoo-r7
>
> I have verified that the names of the kernel and initrd on the disk
> match those in grub.conf. *In any case a wrong filename is usually
> signalled as 'not found' during the boot process.
>
> Can anyone suggest how to debug this?

When I get problems like this I usually run grub in a terminal and
then use autocompletion to find out what grub sees:

root (hd <--tab

it will list all partitions and hopefully help you find your boot partition.

Then search for the kernel image: kernel /boot/ <--tab

If you have chosen the correct grub root partition you should find
your kernel image in there.
Mick

Old 05-06-2010, 12:38 PM
Roger Mason

Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> writes:

> On 6 May 2010 09:37, Roger Mason <rmason@mun.ca> wrote:
>>
>> Can anyone suggest how to debug this?
>
> When I get problems like this I usually run grub in a terminal and
> then use autocompletion to find out what grub sees:
>
> root (hd <--tab
>
> it will list all partitions and hopefully help you find your boot partition.
>
> Then search for the kernel image: kernel /boot/ <--tab
>
> If you have chosen the correct grub root partition you should find
> your kernel image in there.

I assume you mean to boot from the install CD then chroot into the new
install and run grub from bash?

Thanks,
Roger

Old 05-06-2010, 12:51 PM
Mick

On 6 May 2010 13:38, Roger Mason <rmason@mun.ca> wrote:
> Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On 6 May 2010 09:37, Roger Mason <rmason@mun.ca> wrote:
>>>
>>> Can anyone suggest how to debug this?
>>
>> When I get problems like this I usually run grub in a terminal and
>> then use autocompletion to find out what grub sees:
>>
>> root (hd * * *<--tab
>>
>> it will list all partitions and hopefully help you find your boot partition.
>>
>> Then search for the kernel image: *kernel /boot/ * * * <--tab
>>
>> If you have chosen the correct grub root partition you should find
>> your kernel image in there.
>
> I assume you mean to boot from the install CD then chroot into the new
> install and run grub from bash?

Yes, use a live CD, chroot, su to root and run grub from a terminal.
Mick

Old 05-06-2010, 01:03 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Thu, 06 May 2010 10:08:42 -0230, Roger Mason wrote:

> I assume you mean to boot from the install CD then chroot into the new
> install and run grub from bash?

Press c at the GRUB menu.

--
Neil Bothwick

The human mind ordinarily operates at only ten per cent of its
capacity ... the rest is overhead for the operating system.

Old 05-06-2010, 01:34 PM
Dale

Neil Bothwick wrote:

I assume you mean to boot from the install CD then chroot into the new
install and run grub from bash?

Press c at the GRUB menu.

Did you mean press e ?

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 05-06-2010, 02:06 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Thu, 06 May 2010 08:34:49 -0500, Dale wrote:

> > Press c at the GRUB menu.

> Did you mean press e ?

No.

--
Neil Bothwick

RAM DISK is NOT an installation procedure!

Old 05-06-2010, 02:19 PM
Roger Mason

Roger Mason <rmason@mun.ca> writes:

>>> Can anyone suggest how to debug this?

Egg on face. The processor is listed in the bios as Intel EM64T.

Does that mean I should re-build this as an amd64 system? If the answer
to that is yes, then I don't understand why the x86 install CD booted
without problems.

Cheers,
Roger

Old 05-06-2010, 02:25 PM