Old 05-07-2010, 11:30 AM
Helmut Jarausch

Default x86 boot failure

On 7 May, Roger Mason wrote:
> Hello Andrea,
>
> Andrea Conti <alyf@alyf.net> writes:
>
>> I would check the processor type setting (A 3GHz Celeron should be
>> P4-based) and/or muck around with ACPI. Also try disabling framebuffer
>> drivers and using a plain VGA console.
>>
>> Leave all advanced settings in your bios to their defaults.
>>
>> And no, EM64T just means it *can* run amd64 -- i686 is fine and IMO a
>> lot better for that kind of hardware if you do not absolutely need to
>> run 64-bit code for some reason.
>
> That is what I thought.
>
> I looked into the BIOS: no AHCI support. I edited the genkernel .config
> and set the various SATA drivers as built-in. There seemed to be
> nothing wrong with grub or its configuration (I rebuilt it anyway, just
> in case). In the end I gave up and installed the machine as an amd64.
> I may know today how that turned out: my install script shuts the
> machine down at the end and I'll need to get someone to re-boot it for
> me as I'm not in the office.
>
> I'll let you know what happened.
>
> Thanks Andrea and everyone else for your help.

One more hint (that I've got earlier on this list)

Boot from a rescue CD (preferably
http://www.sysresccd.org/
)

then execute
lspci -k

it shows you all drivers that have been selected during boot.

Good luck,
Helmut.

--
Helmut Jarausch

Lehrstuhl fuer Numerische Mathematik
RWTH - Aachen University
D 52056 Aachen, Germany

Old 05-07-2010, 01:33 PM
Roger Mason

Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@igpm.rwth-aachen.de> writes:

> One more hint (that I've got earlier on this list)

> Boot from a rescue CD (preferably
> http://www.sysresccd.org/
> )
>
> then execute
> lspci -k

> it shows you all drivers that have been selected during boot.

Many thanks fir the information.

Cheers,
Roger

Old 05-09-2010, 09:46 PM
"Walter Dnes"

On Thu, May 06, 2010 at 11:49:01AM -0230, Roger Mason wrote

> Egg on face. The processor is listed in the bios as Intel EM64T.
>
> Does that mean I should re-build this as an amd64 system?

No, it's not necessary. 64-bit Intel and AMD cpus will run 32-bit
mode without problems. It's your decision which one to use. General
rule of thumb...

- If you have 4 gigs or more of RAM, the 64-bit OS will take better
advantage of it than a 32-bit OS.

- If you have 3 gigs or less of RAM, stick with 32-bit.

I'm running 32-bit mode on an Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E4600 and it
works fine.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>