Old 05-06-2010, 03:25 PM
Neil Bothwick

Default x86 boot failure

On Thu, 06 May 2010 10:03:59 -0500, Dale wrote:

> >> Did you mean press e ?
> >>
> > No.

> I don't see anything in the man page about hitting the c key. What
> does that do? I've used e, b and such but never heard of c.

It drops you to the grub command line, it's documented on the GRUB menu
screen itself, just after it tells you about e.

--
Neil Bothwick

There was a young man from the border
Who had an attention disorder.
When he reached the last line
He would run out of time
And

Old 05-06-2010, 03:37 PM
Roger Mason

Stroller <stroller@stellar.eclipse.co.uk> writes:

> On 6 May 2010, at 09:37, Roger Mason wrote:
>> I just built a new machine (celeron 3 GHz) using a script that builds
>> the kernel using genkernel and a config that is copied from that of
>> the
>> kernel on the install cd.
>
> Are you sure ext[234] is compiled statically into the kernel in this
> .config?

Yes.

> Also the drivers for the EIDE / SATA controller.
>
> The liveCD configs I've seen generally store these as modules. I, too,
> usually take a copy of the config from a working LiveCD when I compile
> a kernel, but I *always* have to change something.

This what grep SATA kernel-config says:

# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE_SATA is not set
CONFIG_SATA_PMP=y
CONFIG_SATA_AHCI=m
CONFIG_SATA_SIL24=m
CONFIG_SATA_SVW=m
CONFIG_SATA_MV=m
CONFIG_SATA_NV=m
CONFIG_SATA_QSTOR=m
CONFIG_SATA_PROMISE=m
CONFIG_SATA_SX4=m
CONFIG_SATA_SIL=m
CONFIG_SATA_SIS=m
CONFIG_SATA_ULI=m
CONFIG_SATA_VIA=m
CONFIG_SATA_VITESSE=m
CONFIG_SATA_INIC162X=m

lspci says:
00:12.0 SATA controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB600 Non-Raid-5 SATA

So, what must I set?

Thanks for the help.

Roger

Old 05-06-2010, 04:03 PM
Dale

Neil Bothwick wrote:

I don't see anything in the man page about hitting the c key. What
does that do? I've used e, b and such but never heard of c.

It drops you to the grub command line, it's documented on the GRUB menu
screen itself, just after it tells you about e.

Oh OK. I didn't reboot and read that part. lol I learned something
today. Just hope I will remember it when I need it. ;-)

Thanks.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 05-06-2010, 04:03 PM
Helmut Jarausch

On 6 May, Roger Mason wrote:
> Stroller <stroller@stellar.eclipse.co.uk> writes:
>
>> On 6 May 2010, at 09:37, Roger Mason wrote:
>>> I just built a new machine (celeron 3 GHz) using a script that builds
>>> the kernel using genkernel and a config that is copied from that of
>>> the
>>> kernel on the install cd.
>>
>> Are you sure ext[234] is compiled statically into the kernel in this
>> .config?
>
> Yes.
>
>> Also the drivers for the EIDE / SATA controller.
>>
>> The liveCD configs I've seen generally store these as modules. I, too,
>> usually take a copy of the config from a working LiveCD when I compile
>> a kernel, but I *always* have to change something.
>
> This what grep SATA kernel-config says:
>
> # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE_SATA is not set
> CONFIG_SATA_PMP=y
> CONFIG_SATA_AHCI=m
> CONFIG_SATA_SIL24=m
> CONFIG_SATA_SVW=m
> CONFIG_SATA_MV=m
> CONFIG_SATA_NV=m
> CONFIG_SATA_QSTOR=m
> CONFIG_SATA_PROMISE=m
> CONFIG_SATA_SX4=m
> CONFIG_SATA_SIL=m
> CONFIG_SATA_SIS=m
> CONFIG_SATA_ULI=m
> CONFIG_SATA_VIA=m
> CONFIG_SATA_VITESSE=m
> CONFIG_SATA_INIC162X=m
>
> lspci says:
> 00:12.0 SATA controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB600 Non-Raid-5 SATA
>
> So, what must I set?
>
> Thanks for the help.

Check the BIOS if it supports AHCI SATA. Select it if possible.
Then set CONFIG_SATA_AHCI=y (not m, since the kernel must be
able to access the disk to load any module).

Helmut.

Old 05-06-2010, 04:48 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Thu, 06 May 2010 13:07:37 -0230, Roger Mason wrote:

> This what grep SATA kernel-config says:
>
> # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE_SATA is not set
> CONFIG_SATA_PMP=y
> CONFIG_SATA_AHCI=m
> CONFIG_SATA_SIL24=m
> CONFIG_SATA_SVW=m
> CONFIG_SATA_MV=m
> CONFIG_SATA_NV=m
> CONFIG_SATA_QSTOR=m
> CONFIG_SATA_PROMISE=m
> CONFIG_SATA_SX4=m
> CONFIG_SATA_SIL=m
> CONFIG_SATA_SIS=m
> CONFIG_SATA_ULI=m
> CONFIG_SATA_VIA=m
> CONFIG_SATA_VITESSE=m
> CONFIG_SATA_INIC162X=m
>
> lspci says:
> 00:12.0 SATA controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB600 Non-Raid-5 SATA
>
> So, what must I set?

Read the help for each one, if still unsure enable them all. Or, as
Helmut suggested, switch your BIOS to use AHCI.

--
Neil Bothwick

NOTE: In order to control energy costs the light at the end
of the tunnel has been shut off until further notice...

Old 05-07-2010, 06:28 AM
Mick

On Thursday 06 May 2010 17:03:54 Dale wrote:
> Neil Bothwick wrote:

> >> I don't see anything in the man page about hitting the c key. What
> >> does that do? I've used e, b and such but never heard of c.
> >
> > It drops you to the grub command line, it's documented on the GRUB menu
> > screen itself, just after it tells you about e.
>
> Oh OK. I didn't reboot and read that part. lol I learned something
> today. Just hope I will remember it when I need it. ;-)

'c' is good as long as the error is only with the GRUB entry. I usually find
that on new installs the causes of failure to boot may be deeper and I will
need to chroot back into the installation to fix things; e.g. reconfigure the
kernel, add drivers and what not.
Mick

Old 05-07-2010, 07:07 AM
Andrea Conti

> Are you sure ext[234] is compiled statically into the kernel in this
> .config?
> Also the drivers for the EIDE / SATA controller.

Missing FS and/or controller drivers will result in a regular kernel
boot with a panic at the end, when it's time to mount root and load init.

In this case grubs seems to load the kernel image, but the kernel hangs
before printing anything.

I would check the processor type setting (A 3GHz Celeron should be
P4-based) and/or muck around with ACPI. Also try disabling framebuffer
drivers and using a plain VGA console.

Leave all advanced settings in your bios to their defaults.

And no, EM64T just means it *can* run amd64 -- i686 is fine and IMO a
lot better for that kind of hardware if you do not absolutely need to
run 64-bit code for some reason.

andrea

Old 05-07-2010, 08:22 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Fri, 7 May 2010 07:28:00 +0100, Mick wrote:

> > > It drops you to the grub command line, it's documented on the GRUB
> > > menu screen itself, just after it tells you about e.
> >
> > Oh OK. I didn't reboot and read that part. lol I learned something
> > today. Just hope I will remember it when I need it. ;-)
>
> 'c' is good as long as the error is only with the GRUB entry. I
> usually find that on new installs the causes of failure to boot may be
> deeper and I will need to chroot back into the installation to fix
> things; e.g. reconfigure the kernel, add drivers and what not.

Indeed, but in this case the question was about getting to a grub
proompt, and pressing c is a lot simpler than digging out a live CD,
rebooting and setting up a chroot.

--
Neil Bothwick

I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder.

Old 05-07-2010, 08:51 AM
Peter Humphrey

On Thursday 06 May 2010 12:52:55 Mick wrote:

> When I get problems like this I usually run grub in a terminal and
> then use autocompletion to find out what grub sees:
>
> root (hd <--tab
>
> it will list all partitions and hopefully help you find your boot
> partition.
>
> Then search for the kernel image: kernel /boot/ <--tab
>
> If you have chosen the correct grub root partition you should find
> your kernel image in there.

The problem with that is that grub in a running system may detect the
disks in a different order from the booting grub. Better would be to
interrupt the boot with e or (as Neil suggested) c. Either will allow
you to use the Tab key to find disks, partitions and images.

--
Rgds
Peter.

Old 05-07-2010, 10:03 AM
Roger Mason

Hello Andrea,

Andrea Conti <alyf@alyf.net> writes:

> I would check the processor type setting (A 3GHz Celeron should be
> P4-based) and/or muck around with ACPI. Also try disabling framebuffer
> drivers and using a plain VGA console.
>
> Leave all advanced settings in your bios to their defaults.
>
> And no, EM64T just means it *can* run amd64 -- i686 is fine and IMO a
> lot better for that kind of hardware if you do not absolutely need to
> run 64-bit code for some reason.

That is what I thought.

I looked into the BIOS: no AHCI support. I edited the genkernel .config
and set the various SATA drivers as built-in. There seemed to be
nothing wrong with grub or its configuration (I rebuilt it anyway, just
in case). In the end I gave up and installed the machine as an amd64.
I may know today how that turned out: my install script shuts the
machine down at the end and I'll need to get someone to re-boot it for
me as I'm not in the office.

I'll let you know what happened.

Thanks Andrea and everyone else for your help.

Roger