Old 05-05-2010, 04:42 PM
KH

Default samba vs. cifs

Hi List,

I just ran in a problem:

net-fs/mount-cifs ("net-fs/mount-cifs" is blocking net-fs/samba-3.4.6)

Somba is pulled in by the samba use-flag. The PC only is "client" to a
server running samba. Do I need samba for this anymore? More specific
(don't want to hear "moo"): Will I be able to mount a samba partition
without setting the samba use flag and after unmerging samba?

Regards
kh

Old 05-05-2010, 05:08 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Wed, 05 May 2010 18:42:09 +0200, KH wrote:

> net-fs/mount-cifs ("net-fs/mount-cifs" is blocking net-fs/samba-3.4.6)

mount.cifs is now provided by Samba.

> Somba is pulled in by the samba use-flag. The PC only is "client" to a
> server running samba. Do I need samba for this anymore? More specific
> (don't want to hear "moo"): Will I be able to mount a samba partition
> without setting the samba use flag and after unmerging samba?

Samba is the server. The client tools used to be a separate package but
it now looks like you should emerge samba with USE="-server smbclient".

--
Neil Bothwick

Home is where you hang your @.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:17 PM
Matt Harrison

On Wed, May 05, 2010 at 06:42:09PM +0200, KH wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> I just ran in a problem:
>
> net-fs/mount-cifs ("net-fs/mount-cifs" is blocking net-fs/samba-3.4.6)
>
> Somba is pulled in by the samba use-flag. The PC only is "client" to a
> server running samba. Do I need samba for this anymore? More specific
> (don't want to hear "moo"): Will I be able to mount a samba partition
> without setting the samba use flag and after unmerging samba?
>
> Regards
> kh

I just enable cifs in the kernel and install the mount-cifs script. That lets me mount
remote shares with no trouble at all.

HTH

Matt

Old 05-05-2010, 10:25 PM
David W Noon

On Wed, 05 May 2010 23:20:01 +0200, Matt Harrison wrote about Re:
[gentoo-user] samba vs. cifs:

>On Wed, May 05, 2010 at 06:42:09PM +0200, KH wrote:
[snip]
>> specific (don't want to hear "moo"): Will I be able to mount a samba
>> partition without setting the samba use flag and after unmerging
>> samba?
>>
>> Regards
>> kh
>
>I just enable cifs in the kernel and install the mount-cifs script.
>That lets me mount remote shares with no trouble at all.

I don't even install the mount-cifs script. I simply put the share
definition in /etc/fstab on the client, and then use the vanilla mount
command. E.g.,

//192.168.0.2/backups /usr/local/remote_backups cifs
noauto,noexec,noatime,nodiratime,user=root,pass=ee toot 0 0

[The above should be on 1 line.]

Note that my real password for root is not "eetoot"; that is simply a
fake password I set up for Samba shares.

Whenever I need to transfer a backup archive to the server, I simply
issue:
mount /usr/local/remote_backups
and then copy the data across.

Dave [RLU #314465]
dwnoon@ntlworld.com (David W Noon)

Old 05-17-2010, 06:56 AM
KH

On Wed, 05 May 2010 23:20:01 +0200, Matt Harrison wrote about Re:
[gentoo-user] samba vs. cifs:

>On Wed, May 05, 2010 at 06:42:09PM +0200, KH wrote:
[snip]
>> specific (don't want to hear "moo"): Will I be able to mount a samba
>> partition without setting the samba use flag and after unmerging
>> samba?
>>
>> Regards
>> kh
>
>I just enable cifs in the kernel and install the mount-cifs script.
>That lets me mount remote shares with no trouble at all.

I don't even install the mount-cifs script. I simply put the share
definition in /etc/fstab on the client, and then use the vanilla mount
command. E.g.,

//192.168.0.2/backups /usr/local/remote_backups cifs
noauto,noexec,noatime,nodiratime,user=root,pass=ee toot 0 0

[The above should be on 1 line.]

Note that my real password for root is not "eetoot"; that is simply a
fake password I set up for Samba shares.

Whenever I need to transfer a backup archive to the server, I simply
issue:
mount /usr/local/remote_backups
and then copy the data across.

Dave [RLU #314465]
dwnoon@... (David W Noon)

just want to answer to that old mail.

I have it done as follows:

//way/2/otherpc /mnt/mountpoint cifs
noatime,credentials=/root/.credentials,uid=1000,umask=000,user 0 0

and the file /.credentials can only be read by root. In there is my
password and username:

username=myusername
password=mypswd

Regards
kh

Old 05-17-2010, 06:59 AM
KH

Am 17.05.2010 08:56, schrieb KH:

On Wed, 05 May 2010 23:20:01 +0200, Matt Harrison wrote about Re:
[gentoo-user] samba vs. cifs:

>On Wed, May 05, 2010 at 06:42:09PM +0200, KH wrote:
[snip]
>> specific (don't want to hear "moo"): Will I be able to mount a samba
>> partition without setting the samba use flag and after unmerging
>> samba?
>>
>> Regards
>> kh
>
>I just enable cifs in the kernel and install the mount-cifs script.
>That lets me mount remote shares with no trouble at all.

I don't even install the mount-cifs script. I simply put the share
definition in /etc/fstab on the client, and then use the vanilla mount
command. E.g.,

//192.168.0.2/backups /usr/local/remote_backups cifs
noauto,noexec,noatime,nodiratime,user=root,pass=ee toot 0 0

[The above should be on 1 line.]

Note that my real password for root is not "eetoot"; that is simply a
fake password I set up for Samba shares.

Whenever I need to transfer a backup archive to the server, I simply
issue:
mount /usr/local/remote_backups
and then copy the data across.

Well that didn't look the way I wanted it to look like. Shouldn't be a
sig. So again:

Hi,