Old 05-04-2010, 11:06 PM
Alan McKinnon

Default Receiving mail from crontab

On Wednesday 05 May 2010 00:17:09 Mick wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am getting a bit confused from the messages that I receive in my gmail
> account sent from my crontab.
>
> First, is related to the title which is:
>
> Cron <root@mylaptop> test -x /usr/sbin/run-crons && /usr/sbin/run-crons
>
> I am not sure what this "test -x" part represents?
>

> The second question is related to the output of chkrootkit, which is run by
> the cron.weekly and emails stuff that don't make much sense to me:
> $Ld$ Ll$(Lt$0H8AWAVAUIATUSHHHAHHL$MITMt$(Htd fDIt$
> Htm(Ht8fLHITHHLHHH(It$
> HuIMI(HuDH1[]AA]A^A_LLLH5H421oDDS1HH;H[Cop
> yright (C) the VideoLAN VLC media player developersLicensed under the terms
> of the GNU General Public License, version 2 or later.Freebox TV listing
> (French ISP free.fr services)http/shout-
> winamp://www.shoutcast.com/sbin/newxml.phtmlhttp/shout-
> winamp://www.shoutcast.com/sbin/newtvlister.phtml?alltv=1http://mafreebox.f
> reebox.fr/freeboxtv/playlist.m3uhttp://www.canalplus.fr/index.php?pid=1784s
> houtshoutcast- limitShoutcastShoutcast radio
> listingsservices_discoveryshoutcastShoutcastTVShou tcast TV
> listingsshoutcasttvfrenchtvFrench TVFreeboxfreeboxStarting FreeboxStarting
> FrenchTVStarting ShoutTVStarting ShoutRadiono-playlist-
> autostartItemAddedShoutcast RadioShoutcast TVFreebox TVvlc://nopCanal +Les
> Guignolshttp-forward-cookieszRLACF0lsJG ,A,A,A)AOG0$OL@4DBBB
> E(A0A8D@| GCC: (Gentoo 4.3.4 p1.0, pie-10.1.5)
> 4.3.4.symtab.strtab.shstrtab.rela.text.data.bss.ro data.str1.8.rodata.str1.1
> .rela.data.rel.ro.local.rela.eh_frame.comment.note .GNU- stack @&12@2s
>
> Now I happened to notice that the above legible references to vlc are from
> the "services discovery" list that the vlc player shows under
> Media/Services. Not sure what they are doing in chckrootkit ... is it
> telling me that it just scanned all such content? When I run it manually
> it looks just the same and follows a long output following "Searching for
> suspect PHP files..." I am not sure I understand why chkrootkit is
> emailing these to me and if I need to do something about it.

cron captures the output from any program it runs. If there is any output at
all, it will mail it to you. In this case, something launched by run-crons is
spewing something to STDOUT and you are getting it in your inbox.

As to what it means, well it looks like garbage. So you will have to run the
chkrootkit program yourself and debug how it is going wrong and fix it. This,
of course, has nothing whatsoever to do with cron itself.

The output looks like standard banner garbage that apps often write to the
terminal when launched. I suspect an omitted "> /dev/null" somewhere

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 05-05-2010, 05:45 AM
Mick

On Tuesday 04 May 2010 23:40:20 Alex Schuster wrote:
> Mick writes:
> > I am getting a bit confused from the messages that I receive in my
> > gmail account sent from my crontab.
> >
> > First, is related to the title which is:
> >
> > Cron <root@mylaptop> test -x /usr/sbin/run-crons &&
> > /usr/sbin/run-crons
> >
> > I am not sure what this "test -x" part represents?
>
> It means: If /usr/sbin/run-crons is executable, execute it. It could also
> be written as
> [ -x /usr/sbin/run-crons ] && /usr/sbin/run-crons
> or
> f=/usr/sbin/run-crons
> if [ -x $f ]
> then
> $f
> fi

Thank you, I understand what the test does. What I am not sure is why this is
printed on the title of the email. Where is what is printed on the email
title controlled from? Is it editable?

Mick

Old 05-05-2010, 07:02 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Wednesday 05 May 2010 07:45:24 Mick wrote:
> On Tuesday 04 May 2010 23:40:20 Alex Schuster wrote:
> > Mick writes:
> > > I am getting a bit confused from the messages that I receive in my
> > > gmail account sent from my crontab.
> > >
> > > First, is related to the title which is:
> > > Cron <root@mylaptop> test -x /usr/sbin/run-crons &&
> > >
> > > /usr/sbin/run-crons
> > >
> > > I am not sure what this "test -x" part represents?
> >
> > It means: If /usr/sbin/run-crons is executable, execute it. It could also
> > be written as
> >
> > [ -x /usr/sbin/run-crons ] && /usr/sbin/run-crons
> >
> > or
> >
> > f=/usr/sbin/run-crons
> > if [ -x $f ]
> > then
> >
> > $f
> >
> > fi
>
> Thank you, I understand what the test does. What I am not sure is why this
> is printed on the title of the email. Where is what is printed on the
> email title controlled from? Is it editable?

It's cron's default. If it sends a mail, by default it does this:

The subject is the program field in the crontab
The body is the output from the program.

You can't normally change that. What you do is edit your called script to
intelligently mail you the information you do want, and send all output to
devnull to suppress cron's default mailer settings

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 05-05-2010, 07:39 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Wed, 5 May 2010 01:06:21 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> The output looks like standard banner garbage that apps often write to
> the terminal when launched. I suspect an omitted "> /dev/null" somewhere

Or maybe a --quiet option to suppress this but keep useful information.

--
Neil Bothwick

MIPS: Meaningless Indication of Processor Speed

Old 05-05-2010, 06:22 PM
Mick

On Wednesday 05 May 2010 08:39:33 Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Wed, 5 May 2010 01:06:21 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > The output looks like standard banner garbage that apps often write to
> > the terminal when launched. I suspect an omitted "> /dev/null" somewhere
>
> Or maybe a --quiet option to suppress this but keep useful information.

Hmm ... chkrootkit is being run as:

exec /usr/sbin/chkrootkit -q

from /etc/cron.weekly/chkrootkit so I was not sure it all this garbage was
something that I should ignore.
Mick