Old 05-04-2010, 10:09 AM
Helmut Jarausch

Default emerge --update - why doesn't it update my kde packages

On 4 May, Bert Swart wrote:
> On Tue, May 04, 2010 at 10:57:10AM +0200, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
>> Hi,
>> the following situation puzzles me a lot.
>>
>> My 'standard' way of updating is
>> emerge --keep-going -j4 -1 --ask --update --newuse --deep --tree @system @world
>>
>> but it didn't update anything.
>>
>> Still, eix confirmed there were quite a lot of kde packages which have
>> newer versions, and indeed,
>> emerge -auv1 -j4 --keep-going $(qlist -IC kde-base/)
>> upgraded 24 packages.
>>
>> Where does this discrepancy come from?
> Do you have --with-bdep set in /etc/make.conf?

No. Are you saying that
emerge --keep-going -j4 -1 --ask --update --newuse --deep --tree --with-bdeps y @system @world
would have updated my kde packages, as well?

Thanks,
Helmut.

--
Helmut Jarausch

Lehrstuhl fuer Numerische Mathematik
RWTH - Aachen University
D 52056 Aachen, Germany

Old 05-04-2010, 10:17 AM
Bert Swart

On Tue, May 04, 2010 at 12:09:25PM +0200, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
> On 4 May, Bert Swart wrote:
> > On Tue, May 04, 2010 at 10:57:10AM +0200, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >> the following situation puzzles me a lot.
> >>
> >> My 'standard' way of updating is
> >> emerge --keep-going -j4 -1 --ask --update --newuse --deep --tree @system @world
> >>
> >> but it didn't update anything.
> >>
> >> Still, eix confirmed there were quite a lot of kde packages which have
> >> newer versions, and indeed,
> >> emerge -auv1 -j4 --keep-going $(qlist -IC kde-base/)
> >> upgraded 24 packages.
> >>
> >> Where does this discrepancy come from?
> > Do you have --with-bdep set in /etc/make.conf?
>
> No. Are you saying that
> emerge --keep-going -j4 -1 --ask --update --newuse --deep --tree --with-bdeps y @system @world
> would have updated my kde packages, as well?
Probably. Sometimes, not all packages are included as dependency
if they are not strictly required. If you do want them to be
upgraded, add --with-bdeps to EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS in
/etc/make.conf. Or, like you did, upgrade them manually...
See also http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/portage/doc/faq.xml

Old 05-04-2010, 10:29 AM
KH

On 4 May, Bert Swart wrote:

[...]

Those are packages only required during buildtime. You could unmerge
them after upgrading without loosing a funktion. Adding --with-bdeps to
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS might only wast some time and energy. You can also
run depclean --with-bdeps (yes/no or something like that) to savely
remove them.

My point is: If glsa doesn't list one of those packages I don't touch them.

Regards
kh

Thanks,
Helmut.

Old 05-04-2010, 02:59 PM
David W Noon

On Tue, 04 May 2010 11:00:01 +0200, Helmut Jarausch wrote about
[gentoo-user] emerge --update - why doesn't it update my kde packages:

[snip]
>Still, eix confirmed there were quite a lot of kde packages which have
>newer versions, and indeed,
>emerge -auv1 -j4 --keep-going $(qlist -IC kde-base/)
>upgraded 24 packages.
>
>Where does this discrepancy come from?

I think Portage does not consider packages that are not in your world
file, if the update is on world (or system).

To overcome this, I wrote a little script, called update_orphans.sh.
Here it is:

<-------cut-----------> update_orphans.sh <----------cut------------->
#!/bin/sh

eix -u | gawk '/^[u] / { print $2; }' | xargs -r emerge -v1uD

exit $?
<-------cut-----------><--------cut------><----------cut------------->

I run it immediately after the main emerge, when I have rsync'ed the
Portage tree.

Dave [RLU #314465]
dwnoon@ntlworld.com (David W Noon)

Old 05-04-2010, 03:48 PM
KH

Am 04.05.2010 16:59, schrieb David W Noon:

[...]

No. --with-bdeps is not default anymore because it is considered to be a
bug if portage updates packages not used in any way. This is only if a
package is needed for buildtime.

Program A is version 1.5. To build it, it needs program B which at this
time is version 4.7

B is not needed for anything else!

Now there is an update to B-4.9 . Portage will not update B as long as
there is no update to A.

B is not in the world file. It is not a runtime dependency nore is it a
orphan.

kh

Old 05-04-2010, 07:41 PM
Dale

KH wrote:

[...]

I have with-bdeps set in my make.conf so that it is enabled each time.
I just ran the command given above and it found over 40 packages that
need to be upgraded. I'm not even going to claim that I understand all
the chicken scratch in that command but apparently stuff needed to be
upgraded on my system that was being missed.

It appears to do something good even if it is not related to the OPs
problem.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 05-04-2010, 11:10 PM
Alex Schuster

KH writes:

> Am 04.05.2010 21:41, schrieb Dale:

> > I have with-bdeps set in my make.conf so that it is enabled each
> > time. I just ran the command given above and it found over 40
> > packages that need to be upgraded. I'm not even going to claim that
> > I understand all the chicken scratch in that command but apparently
> > stuff needed to be upgraded on my system that was being missed.

If a deep @system @world upgrade with --with-bdeps=y does not upgrade the
packages, then I think that they are either unnecessary packages that
should be depcleaned, or they should go into the world file. This
update_orphans.sh script is nice and I used a similar one when I had the
problem that a world update did not work due to blockers or something, but
normally it should not be necessary. And I believe these problems should
better be fixed another way.

> For me it does try to update the same packages as --with-bdeps, but it
> tries to pull in like 39 new packages.
>
> How and where have you integrated with-bdeps in make.conf?

From /usr/share/portage/config/make.conf.example:

# EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS allows emerge to act as if certain options are
# specified on every run. Useful options include --ask, --verbose,
# --usepkg and many others. Options that are not useful, such as --help,
# are not filtered.
#EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS=""

I have it set like this: EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--with-bdeps y"

Wonko

Old 05-05-2010, 12:23 AM
Dale

Alex Schuster wrote:

KH writes:

Am 04.05.2010 21:41, schrieb Dale:

I have with-bdeps set in my make.conf so that it is enabled each
time. I just ran the command given above and it found over 40
packages that need to be upgraded. I'm not even going to claim that
I understand all the chicken scratch in that command but apparently
stuff needed to be upgraded on my system that was being missed.

If a deep @system @world upgrade with --with-bdeps=y does not upgrade the
packages, then I think that they are either unnecessary packages that
should be depcleaned, or they should go into the world file. This
update_orphans.sh script is nice and I used a similar one when I had the
problem that a world update did not work due to blockers or something, but
normally it should not be necessary. And I believe these problems should
better be fixed another way.

I run emerge -a --depclean on a regular basis and they do not need to be
removed according to it. Something somewhere depends on them or at
least portage thinks it does. Point is, it updated them when portage
didn't for some reason.

For me it does try to update the same packages as --with-bdeps, but it
tries to pull in like 39 new packages.

How and where have you integrated with-bdeps in make.conf?

From /usr/share/portage/config/make.conf.example:

# EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS allows emerge to act as if certain options are
# specified on every run. Useful options include --ask, --verbose,
# --usepkg and many others. Options that are not useful, such as --help,
# are not filtered.
#EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS=""

I have it set like this: EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--with-bdeps y"

Wonko

I think mine is the same as yours. Mine is:

EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--with-bdeps y"

It's been there for a good long while.

Dale

:-) :-)