Old 05-03-2010, 01:31 PM
Colleen Beamer

Default Frozen after Upgrade

Hi,
Yesterday, I updated my system. On reboot, I get to my login screen,
but then everything is frozen - the cursor blinks in the box where I
am supposed to enter my password, but the keyboard doesn't work and my
mouse is frozen. I don't know if this has something do do with the
xorg update that happened in connection with my nvidia driver.

I can't even kill X because, stupid me didn't configure the
Ctrl-Alt-Backspace when it was no longer automatically configured.

Right now, I have booted from a Kubuntu live CD so was able to get
into the system to write this.

Is there a way I can fix this without having to do a complete reinstall?

Old 05-03-2010, 01:40 PM
Hazen Valliant-Saunders

Disable your xdm login script;

Regards,
Hazen.

--
Hazen Valliant-Saunders
IT/IS Consultant

Old 05-03-2010, 01:41 PM
Indexer

On 03/05/2010, at 11:01 PM, Colleen Beamer wrote:

> Hi,
> Yesterday, I updated my system. On reboot, I get to my login screen,
> but then everything is frozen - the cursor blinks in the box where I
> am supposed to enter my password, but the keyboard doesn't work and my
> mouse is frozen. I don't know if this has something do do with the
> xorg update that happened in connection with my nvidia driver.
>
> I can't even kill X because, stupid me didn't configure the
> Ctrl-Alt-Backspace when it was no longer automatically configured.
>
> Right now, I have booted from a Kubuntu live CD so was able to get
> into the system to write this.
>
> Is there a way I can fix this without having to do a complete reinstall?

I would be checking my Xorg.conf to see if you have evdev enabled, set evdev in your make.conf just in case, and make sure you have hald set to start on boot as xorg now needs it for keyboard and mouse.

William

Old 05-03-2010, 01:44 PM
Colleen Beamer

On 5/3/10, Hazen Valliant-Saunders <hazenvs@gmail.com> wrote:
> Disable your xdm login script;

I can't disable my xdm login script. My computer boots to the login
screen and the keyboard doesn't work so I can'l login to get a
terminal session.

Old 05-03-2010, 01:45 PM
Remy Blank

> Is there a way I can fix this without having to do a complete reinstall?

I would start by re-emerging xf86-input-keyboard and xf86-input-mouse,
as suggested in the xorg-server ebuild messages.

-- Remy

Old 05-03-2010, 01:47 PM
Colleen Beamer

On 5/3/10, Indexer <indexer@internode.on.net> wrote:

> On 03/05/2010, at 11:01 PM, Colleen Beamer wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> Yesterday, I updated my system. On reboot, I get to my login screen,
>> but then everything is frozen - the cursor blinks in the box where I
>> am supposed to enter my password, but the keyboard doesn't work and my
>> mouse is frozen. I don't know if this has something do do with the
>> xorg update that happened in connection with my nvidia driver.
>>
>> I can't even kill X because, stupid me didn't configure the
>> Ctrl-Alt-Backspace when it was no longer automatically configured.
>>
>> Right now, I have booted from a Kubuntu live CD so was able to get
>> into the system to write this.
>>
>> Is there a way I can fix this without having to do a complete reinstall?
>>

> I would be checking my Xorg.conf to see if you have evdev enabled, set evdev
> in your make.conf just in case, and make sure you have hald set to start on
> boot as xorg now needs it for keyboard and mouse.

This would be good if I could get to a terminal seesion, but I can't.
The keyboard doesn't work and I can't login.

Right now, I am using a Kubuntu live CD and mounting is disabled.

Old 05-03-2010, 01:49 PM
Colleen Beamer

On 5/3/10, Remy Blank <remy.blank@pobox.com> wrote:
>> Is there a way I can fix this without having to do a complete reinstall?
>
> I would start by re-emerging xf86-input-keyboard and xf86-input-mouse,
> as suggested in the xorg-server ebuild messages.
>
> -- Remy

How am I supposed to do this when I can't login and I can't kill X?

Old 05-03-2010, 01:57 PM
Philip Webb

100503 Colleen Beamer wrote:
> I can't disable my xdm login script.
> My computer boots to the login screen
> and the keyboard doesn't work so I can'l login to get a terminal session.

Yes, it happened to me long ago,
after which I decided always to boot to a raw terminal, then do 'startx'.

You need to use System Rescue or similar to get into the box,
then change your boot procedure to boot to a raw terminal.

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb

Old 05-03-2010, 01:58 PM
Indexer

On 03/05/2010, at 11:17 PM, Colleen Beamer wrote:

> On 5/3/10, Indexer <indexer@internode.on.net> wrote:
>>
>> On 03/05/2010, at 11:01 PM, Colleen Beamer wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> Yesterday, I updated my system. On reboot, I get to my login screen,
>>> but then everything is frozen - the cursor blinks in the box where I
>>> am supposed to enter my password, but the keyboard doesn't work and my
>>> mouse is frozen. I don't know if this has something do do with the
>>> xorg update that happened in connection with my nvidia driver.
>>>
>>> I can't even kill X because, stupid me didn't configure the
>>> Ctrl-Alt-Backspace when it was no longer automatically configured.
>>>
>>> Right now, I have booted from a Kubuntu live CD so was able to get
>>> into the system to write this.
>>>
>>> Is there a way I can fix this without having to do a complete reinstall?
>>>

>> I would be checking my Xorg.conf to see if you have evdev enabled, set evdev
>> in your make.conf just in case, and make sure you have hald set to start on
>> boot as xorg now needs it for keyboard and mouse.
>
> This would be good if I could get to a terminal seesion, but I can't.
> The keyboard doesn't work and I can't login.
>
> Right now, I am using a Kubuntu live CD and mounting is disabled.

How do you mean mounting is disabled? Open a terminal and type sudo mount /dev/sd<blah> ???

From there you can either chroot in, or you can manually stop xdm by removing the file /etc/runlevels/default/xdm (instead of using rc-update)

Old 05-03-2010, 02:04 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Monday 03 May 2010 15:47:41 Colleen Beamer wrote:
> On 5/3/10, Indexer <indexer@internode.on.net> wrote:
> > On 03/05/2010, at 11:01 PM, Colleen Beamer wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >> Yesterday, I updated my system. On reboot, I get to my login screen,
> >> but then everything is frozen - the cursor blinks in the box where I
> >> am supposed to enter my password, but the keyboard doesn't work and my
> >> mouse is frozen. I don't know if this has something do do with the
> >> xorg update that happened in connection with my nvidia driver.
> >>
> >> I can't even kill X because, stupid me didn't configure the
> >> Ctrl-Alt-Backspace when it was no longer automatically configured.
> >>
> >> Right now, I have booted from a Kubuntu live CD so was able to get
> >> into the system to write this.
> >>
> >> Is there a way I can fix this without having to do a complete reinstall?
> >
> > I would be checking my Xorg.conf to see if you have evdev enabled, set
> > evdev in your make.conf just in case, and make sure you have hald set to
> > start on boot as xorg now needs it for keyboard and mouse.
>
> This would be good if I could get to a terminal seesion, but I can't.
> The keyboard doesn't work and I can't login.
>
> Right now, I am using a Kubuntu live CD and mounting is disabled.

You said you did a system upgrade. Did this involve a kernel upgrade too?

If so, you are likely running into missing nvidia drivers in your new
/lib/modules/. So:

- reboot to single user maintenance mode.
- disable /etc/init.d/xdm
- remerge nvidia-drivers, making sure that /usr/src/linux point s to the new
kernel that is to be configured
- reboot
- enable /etc/init.d/xdm
- start xdm