Old 05-03-2010, 04:04 PM
Frank Steinmetzger

Default Frozen after Upgrade

Am Montag, 3. Mai 2010 schrieb Colleen Beamer:
> On 5/3/10, Remy Blank <remy.blank@pobox.com> wrote:
> >> Is there a way I can fix this without having to do a complete reinstall?
> >
> > I would start by re-emerging xf86-input-keyboard and xf86-input-mouse,
> > as suggested in the xorg-server ebuild messages.
> >
> > -- Remy
>
> How am I supposed to do this when I can't login and I can't kill X?

Dale already told you a way I also do it if my laptop hangs at X:
during the boot process it tells you "hit I to enter interactive mode".
Then, just say no when it asks you whether to start xdm/kdm/whatever.

Also, you can chroot into your system from your kubuntu cd just like it's done
in the installation handbook. Start your live cd, open a konsole, mount your
system and chroot into it.
env-update && source /etc/profile and you're goot to go for emerging stuff.
--
Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
Windows: reboot. Linux: be root.

Old 05-03-2010, 04:22 PM
Willie Wong

On Mon, May 03, 2010 at 04:56:04PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > I don't understand what you mean by booting to a single user
> > maintenance mode. How do I do that?
>
> At the grub menu, select the kernel you wish to boot.
> Press "e"
> Move cursor to the "kernel" line
> Press "e"
> Move cursor to the end of the line. Append " 1" or " single"

Uh, I thought that, per discussions a few weeks ago, we've concluded
that in Gentoo that will still land you in the default runlevel.
Instead you should append
softlevel=single
to the end of the line, and continue from hereon.

> Press <enter>
> Press "b"

Cheers,

Willie W. Wong wwong@math.princeton.edu
et vice versa ~~~ I. Newton

Old 05-03-2010, 04:41 PM
Dale

Willie Wong wrote:

I don't understand what you mean by booting to a single user
maintenance mode. How do I do that?

At the grub menu, select the kernel you wish to boot.
Press "e"
Move cursor to the "kernel" line
Press "e"
Move cursor to the end of the line. Append " 1" or " single"

Uh, I thought that, per discussions a few weeks ago, we've concluded
that in Gentoo that will still land you in the default runlevel.
Instead you should append
softlevel=single
to the end of the line, and continue from hereon.

Press<enter>
Press "b"

Cheers,

I had trouble with that a while back to but I think it was fixed. Of
course, this may only be true if you updated whatever it is that fixed
it. ;-)

I am up to date here as of last night and softlevel=single worked a
couple weeks ago and has worked for several months. I guess you could
always just try it and see which one works. If one of them doesn't
work, it needs to be reported I guess. I would be willing to bet that
Alan's way will work. Adding init=/bin/bash always works from my
experience. Just keep in mind that you have to reboot when done and
make sure you are mounted rw instead of ro.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 05-03-2010, 08:13 PM
CJoeB

On 05/03/10 10:10, Dale wrote:

> I think there is a interactive mode or something too. It is done by
> hitting the "I" key during the first part of the boot up. Just say No
> to xdm or whatever starts your GUI.
>
> Lots of options here. lol
>
> Dale
Thanks, Dale, for the figurative "whack in the head"! I knew about
interactive mode, but never even thought of it. Doing this, I was able
to boot to a command line. Then, I took Remy's advise and re-emerged
xf86-input-keyboard and xf86-keyboard-mouse. Turns out that they both
needed updating. This fixed everything.

Sorry, if I was a little terse. I panicked. I keep all responses to
problems I've posted in case I run into the same thing again. So thanks
guys for coming though for me as always!

Regards,

Colleen

--

Registered Linux User #411143 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org

Old 05-03-2010, 10:53 PM
Dale

CJoeB wrote:

On 05/03/10 10:10, Dale wrote:

I think there is a interactive mode or something too. It is done by
hitting the "I" key during the first part of the boot up. Just say No
to xdm or whatever starts your GUI.

Lots of options here. lol

Dale

Thanks, Dale, for the figurative "whack in the head"! I knew about
interactive mode, but never even thought of it. Doing this, I was able
to boot to a command line. Then, I took Remy's advise and re-emerged
xf86-input-keyboard and xf86-keyboard-mouse. Turns out that they both
needed updating. This fixed everything.

Sorry, if I was a little terse. I panicked. I keep all responses to
problems I've posted in case I run into the same thing again. So thanks
guys for coming though for me as always!

Regards,

Colleen

Oh trust me, I knew where you were. I been there. Anyone want me to
start talking about the xorg-server upgrade with hal enabled?

I think most people missed the point that your keyboard would not allow
you to do anything. I noticed that and knew exactly what position you
were in. You also need to make a note about the alt sysrq key sequence
as well. That can be a HUGE life saver. It will at least keep you from
having to do a hard shutdown. I have had a couple times that I was
stuck at the login screen and nothing else would get me back to a
console. If you use the alt sysrq sequence, it will at least give you a
sane shutdown, even if it is done blindly.

Glad you got it working.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 05-04-2010, 09:56 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Mon, 3 May 2010 13:44:50 +0000, Colleen Beamer wrote:

> I can't disable my xdm login script. My computer boots to the login
> screen and the keyboard doesn't work so I can'l login to get a
> terminal session.

At the GRUB menu, add "gentoo=nox" to the kernel options, using the
method explained by Alan. The advantage of this method is that it gives
you a fully working system, running everything in your default runlevel
except xdm. When you have made the changes and want to test
them, /etc/init.d/xdm restart fires up X with no need to reboot.

Note for the pedants: The xdm init script is run, but it checks for the
nox flag and exits without starting X, that's why to need to restart it
to run X.