Old 05-03-2010, 02:07 PM
Dale

Default Frozen after Upgrade

Colleen Beamer wrote:

On 5/3/10, Indexer<indexer@internode.on.net> wrote:

On 03/05/2010, at 11:01 PM, Colleen Beamer wrote:

Hi,
Yesterday, I updated my system. On reboot, I get to my login screen,
but then everything is frozen - the cursor blinks in the box where I
am supposed to enter my password, but the keyboard doesn't work and my
mouse is frozen. I don't know if this has something do do with the
xorg update that happened in connection with my nvidia driver.

I can't even kill X because, stupid me didn't configure the
Ctrl-Alt-Backspace when it was no longer automatically configured.

Right now, I have booted from a Kubuntu live CD so was able to get
into the system to write this.

Is there a way I can fix this without having to do a complete reinstall?

I would be checking my Xorg.conf to see if you have evdev enabled, set evdev
in your make.conf just in case, and make sure you have hald set to start on
boot as xorg now needs it for keyboard and mouse.

This would be good if I could get to a terminal seesion, but I can't.
The keyboard doesn't work and I can't login.

Right now, I am using a Kubuntu live CD and mounting is disabled.

William

Try this:

Hold down Atl, hold down SysRq, press each of the keys in turn. The usual
full sequence is R-E-I-S-U-B

Reboot
Even
If
System
Utterly
Broken

When I had this issue, I would get a console when I got to the E or I. This is what each keystroke does tho:

e sends TERM to all processes (except init)
i kills all processes (except init)
s syncs partitions
u remounts everything ro
b boots a box
o turns off a box
k saks a box - kills all processes on that vt
r unraws the keyboard - takes it away from X.

I hope that will get you back to a console at least. Then you can start doing the things others have suggested you try.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 05-03-2010, 02:10 PM
Dale

Philip Webb wrote:

100503 Colleen Beamer wrote:

I can't disable my xdm login script.
My computer boots to the login screen
and the keyboard doesn't work so I can'l login to get a terminal session.

Yes, it happened to me long ago,
after which I decided always to boot to a raw terminal, then do 'startx'.

You need to use System Rescue or similar to get into the box,
then change your boot procedure to boot to a raw terminal.

Or add softlevel=single to the boot line in grub. That would be, edit
the grub line before booting.

I think there is a interactive mode or something too. It is done by
hitting the "I" key during the first part of the boot up. Just say No
to xdm or whatever starts your GUI.

Lots of options here. lol

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 05-03-2010, 02:26 PM
Colleen Beamer

On 5/3/10, Philip Webb <purslow@ca.inter.net> wrote:
> 100503 Colleen Beamer wrote:
>> I can't disable my xdm login script.
>> My computer boots to the login screen
>> and the keyboard doesn't work so I can'l login to get a terminal session.
>
> Yes, it happened to me long ago,
> after which I decided always to boot to a raw terminal, then do 'startx'.
>
> You need to use System Rescue or similar to get into the box,
> then change your boot procedure to boot to a raw terminal.

How do I do that?

Regards,

Colleen

Old 05-03-2010, 02:30 PM
Colleen Beamer

On 5/3/10, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Monday 03 May 2010 15:47:41 Colleen Beamer wrote:

>> > I would be checking my Xorg.conf to see if you have evdev enabled, set
>> > evdev in your make.conf just in case, and make sure you have hald set to
>> > start on boot as xorg now needs it for keyboard and mouse.
>>
>> This would be good if I could get to a terminal seesion, but I can't.
>> The keyboard doesn't work and I can't login.
>>
>> Right now, I am using a Kubuntu live CD and mounting is disabled.
>

> You said you did a system upgrade. Did this involve a kernel upgrade too?
>
> If so, you are likely running into missing nvidia drivers in your new
> /lib/modules/. So:
>
> - reboot to single user maintenance mode.
> - disable /etc/init.d/xdm
> - remerge nvidia-drivers, making sure that /usr/src/linux point s to the new
> kernel that is to be configured
> - reboot
> - enable /etc/init.d/xdm
> - start xdm

New kernel was downloaded, but I did not upgrade the kernel. If that
was the situation, I wouldn't be able to load to my login screen - I
would be booted back to the command line. I get to the login screen,
but then, everything is frozen - keyboard and mouse.

I don't understand what you mean by booting to a single user
maintenance mode. How do I do that?

Colleen

Old 05-03-2010, 02:40 PM
Remy Blank

Colleen Beamer wrote:
> How am I supposed to do this when I can't login and I can't kill X?

Boot from a live CD, then perform a chroot into your system as described
in the Gentoo handbook[1] or on the Gentoo wiki[2], then you should be
able to emerge as if you were running your system normally.

-- Remy

[1] http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=6
[2] http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Chroot_from_a_livecd

Old 05-03-2010, 02:56 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Monday 03 May 2010 16:30:53 Colleen Beamer wrote:
> > You said you did a system upgrade. Did this involve a kernel upgrade too?
> >
> > If so, you are likely running into missing nvidia drivers in your new
> > /lib/modules/. So:
> >
> > - reboot to single user maintenance mode.
> > - disable /etc/init.d/xdm
> > - remerge nvidia-drivers, making sure that /usr/src/linux point s to the
> > new kernel that is to be configured
> > - reboot
> > - enable /etc/init.d/xdm
> > - start xdm
>
> New kernel was downloaded, but I did not upgrade the kernel. If that
> was the situation, I wouldn't be able to load to my login screen - I
> would be booted back to the command line. I get to the login screen,
> but then, everything is frozen - keyboard and mouse.

Oh yes, of course. Obvious in retrospect

> I don't understand what you mean by booting to a single user
> maintenance mode. How do I do that?

At the grub menu, select the kernel you wish to boot.
Press "e"
Move cursor to the "kernel" line
Press "e"
Move cursor to the end of the line. Append " 1" or " single"
Press <enter>
Press "b"

This will load the kernel and run a modified start-up sequence (not the
regular init command). You get a root shell which is quite limited but usually
adequate for repairing broken system.

In a way, it's very similar to booting into a LiveCD without having to go and
find the CD first

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 05-03-2010, 02:56 PM
Hazen Valliant-Saunders

Singe User (is from the kernel) you select the boot option via grub

People refer to this as "Maintenance Mode" although to be frank every gentoo system is always in maintenence mode (kinda like perpetual beta)

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-7.3-Manual/custom-guide/s1-rescuemode-booting-single.html

It's the same idea just a diffrent distro;

Once you are in single user mode verify all mounted partitions:
#mount

Then navigate to your xorg.conf; (under /etc/)
and edit it to fix your issues or

Navigate to your home directory
/home/~username# and change the way you login by editing the approriate files (depending on your x display manager)

Or conversly, if you are using a live cd:

1. mount your partitions a

2. ch root into your Gentoo install (you are now in single user mode)
3. Make the appropriate edits

as always your milage may vary; HTH

IT/IS Consultant
(613) 355-5977

Old 05-03-2010, 03:06 PM
KH

I don't understand what you mean by booting to a single user
maintenance mode. How do I do that?

At the grub menu, select the kernel you wish to boot.
Press "e"
Move cursor to the "kernel" line
Press "e"
Move cursor to the end of the line. Append " 1" or " single"
Press<enter>
Press "b"

This will load the kernel and run a modified start-up sequence (not the
regular init command). You get a root shell which is quite limited but usually
adequate for repairing broken system.

In a way, it's very similar to booting into a LiveCD without having to go and
find the CD first

Hi,

and again I learnd something I didn't know, jet.

Anyway I also would try to follow Dales advise with pressing "i" during
boot.

Also some time ago I had a problem after an upgrade with my keyboard.
Changing to usb was the workaround for me (the keyboard has usb and the
ps2?). Anyway I never fixed the problem.

Regards
kh

Old 05-03-2010, 03:09 PM
Peter Humphrey

On Monday 03 May 2010 14:49:24 Colleen Beamer wrote:
> On 5/3/10, Remy Blank <remy.blank@pobox.com> wrote:
> >> Is there a way I can fix this without having to do a complete
> >> reinstall?
> >
> > I would start by re-emerging xf86-input-keyboard and
> > xf86-input-mouse, as suggested in the xorg-server ebuild messages.
> >
> > -- Remy
>
> How am I supposed to do this when I can't login and I can't kill X?

I sense your frustration! We've all been in a tight spot like this.
Here's my suggestion:

Don't allow X to start at boot time. When you see the grub boot menu,
select the kernel you want to boot and press "e" for Edit. Then select
the kernel command line and press "e" again to edit it. Add
softlevel=nonetwork
to the end of the line, press Enter and then B. You will then start up
with a full set of six VTs (consoles), at which you can do the remerging
that's been suggested.

Personally, I'd do this: emerge -av1 `qlist -I -C x11-drivers`

With any luck you'll then be able to reboot and run as usual.

HTH

--
Rgds
Peter.

Old 05-03-2010, 03:10 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Monday 03 May 2010 17:06:19 KH wrote:
> Am 03.05.2010 16:56, schrieb Alan McKinnon:
> > On Monday 03 May 2010 16:30:53 Colleen Beamer wrote:
> [...]
>
> >> I don't understand what you mean by booting to a single user
> >> maintenance mode. How do I do that?
> >
> > At the grub menu, select the kernel you wish to boot.
> > Press "e"
> > Move cursor to the "kernel" line
> > Press "e"
> > Move cursor to the end of the line. Append " 1" or " single"
> > Press<enter>
> > Press "b"
> >
> > This will load the kernel and run a modified start-up sequence (not the
> > regular init command). You get a root shell which is quite limited but
> > usually adequate for repairing broken system.
> >
> > In a way, it's very similar to booting into a LiveCD without having to go
> > and find the CD first
>
> Hi,
>
> and again I learnd something I didn't know, jet.
>
> Anyway I also would try to follow Dales advise with pressing "i" during
> boot.

There's all kinds of neat tricks you can do when booting or starting up. grub
passes parameters and options to the kernel just like your shell passes
parameters and options to a program you start. There's docs about it in
/usr/src/linux/Documentation but be warned - they are written by kernel devs
and most of them seem to assume the reader also knows as much as a kernel dev.
So it can be hard going sometimes.

A neat trick I use often is to append "init=/bin/bash" to the grub line. This
runs bash after the kernel is loaded, not the usual init. You can't logout as
normal though - try it and see :-)

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com