Old 05-03-2010, 01:21 AM
Grant Edwards

Default qt3support: only in /etc/make.conf, never in /etc/portage/package.use

I probably shouldn't admit this in public, but I've been fighting with
Portage over qt3 support for a long time (at least a year). I was
constantly being told by Portage to either enable or disable the
qt3support use flag for some package or other. I usually just gave up
and uninstalled all of the apps that needed qt3 support (until I
needed that app the next time -- then the fight started all over
again).

After stumbling around this issue on several machines for way too
long, I finally stumbled across the solution: don't enable/disable
qt3support on a per-package basis. If you want qt3support put it in
/etc/make.conf. Despite the fact that portage will tell you to enable
qt3support for package XYZ, doing just that won't work.

Perhaps this sounds obvious, but it sure took me a long time to figure
it out...

--
Grant

Old 05-03-2010, 02:21 AM
Dale

Grant Edwards wrote:

I probably shouldn't admit this in public, but I've been fighting with
Portage over qt3 support for a long time (at least a year). I was
constantly being told by Portage to either enable or disable the
qt3support use flag for some package or other. I usually just gave up
and uninstalled all of the apps that needed qt3 support (until I
needed that app the next time -- then the fight started all over
again).

After stumbling around this issue on several machines for way too
long, I finally stumbled across the solution: don't enable/disable
qt3support on a per-package basis. If you want qt3support put it in
/etc/make.conf. Despite the fact that portage will tell you to enable
qt3support for package XYZ, doing just that won't work.

Perhaps this sounds obvious, but it sure took me a long time to figure
it out...

I rarely put a USE flag in anything but make.conf. Usually, if I need
support for something, it is more than one package or that one package
will want the support enabled for other packages it builds on as well.

I have disabled a USE flag in package.use before tho. That seems to
work OK almost all the time. -doc and -hal come to mind without even
looking at the file.

Glad you got it figured out tho. At least by learning it the hard way,
you won't forget it. ;-)

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 05-03-2010, 03:00 AM
Grant Edwards

On 2010-05-03, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:

>> After stumbling around this issue on several machines for way too
>> long, I finally stumbled across the solution: don't enable/disable
>> qt3support on a per-package basis. If you want qt3support put it in
>> /etc/make.conf.
[...]

> I rarely put a USE flag in anything but make.conf.

I tend to -- probably misleading myself that I'm "saving" on something
(disk space, update time, who knows).

> Usually, if I need support for something, it is more than one package
> or that one package will want the support enabled for other packages
> it builds on as well.

I'll have to remember that -- it will probably avoid similar problems
with other subsystems.

> Glad you got it figured out tho. At least by learning it the hard way,
> you won't forget it. ;-)

Sad to say, but I probably will. Hopefully google will find my post.

Honestly, that's happend to me a couple times: I trip over a problem,
and when looking for the solution Google finds a 6 year old thread (I
started) from the first time I ran into the problem. It's really
embarassing when your working with somebody else on the problem and
_they_ stumble across that old thread containing the solution.

--
Grant

Old 05-03-2010, 10:17 AM
Peter Humphrey

On Monday 03 May 2010 03:21:29 Dale wrote:

> I rarely put a USE flag in anything but make.conf. Usually, if I
> need support for something, it is more than one package or that one
> package will want the support enabled for other packages it builds
> on as well.

One exception I suggest is mysql. If you put that USE flag in make.conf,
every application you install that can use a database back-end will be
built with it, adding unneeded complexity.

> I have disabled a USE flag in package.use before tho. That seems to
> work OK almost all the time. -doc and -hal come to mind without even
> looking at the file.

And I have this in package.use:
www-client/links -X -jpeg -png -tiff -directfb -fbcon -sdl

That's most useful during system installation, but as I only use links
at a VT I don't bother to change its flags later.

--
Rgds
Peter.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:20 AM
David W Noon

On Mon, 03 May 2010 03:30:02 +0200, Grant Edwards wrote about
[gentoo-user] qt3support: only in /etc/make.conf, never
in /etc/portage/package.use:

>qt3support on a per-package basis. If you want qt3support put it in
>/etc/make.conf. Despite the fact that portage will tell you to enable
>qt3support for package XYZ, doing just that won't work.

The qt3support USE flag only applies to the Qt packages, not to those
packages that might require Qt 3.x support. Specifically, it applies to:

x11-libs/qt-core
x11-libs/qt-gui
x11-libs/qt-opengl
x11-libs/qt-sql

Enable it for all 4 and you will have Qt 3.x support for all Qt app's
that are satisfied by the backwards compatibility support in Qt 4.x.

Dave [RLU #314465]
dwnoon@ntlworld.com (David W Noon)

Old 05-03-2010, 02:30 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2010-05-03, David W Noon <dwnoon@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 03 May 2010 03:30:02 +0200, Grant Edwards wrote about
> [gentoo-user] qt3support: only in /etc/make.conf, never
> in /etc/portage/package.use:
>
>>qt3support on a per-package basis. If you want qt3support put it in
>>/etc/make.conf. Despite the fact that portage will tell you to enable
>>qt3support for package XYZ, doing just that won't work.
>
> The qt3support USE flag only applies to the Qt packages, not to those
> packages that might require Qt 3.x support.

I know.

> Specifically, it applies to:
>
> x11-libs/qt-core
> x11-libs/qt-gui
> x11-libs/qt-opengl
> x11-libs/qt-sql
>
> Enable it for all 4 and you will have Qt 3.x support for all Qt app's
> that are satisfied by the backwards compatibility support in Qt 4.x.

The problem is that if you don't have qt3 support, Portage tells you
to enable qt3support for _one_ of those packages. If you do exactly
what portage tells you (enable it for that one package), then portage
will complain and tell you to disable it for that package. At least
that's what always seemed to happen for me.

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! I'm in direct contact
at with many advanced fun

Old 05-03-2010, 04:06 PM
David W Noon

On Mon, 03 May 2010 17:30:02 +0200, Grant Edwards wrote about
[gentoo-user] Re: qt3support: only in /etc/make.conf, never
in /etc/portage/package.use:

>On 2010-05-03, David W Noon <dwnoon@ntlworld.com> wrote:
[snip]
>> Specifically, it applies to:
>>
>> x11-libs/qt-core
>> x11-libs/qt-gui
>> x11-libs/qt-opengl
>> x11-libs/qt-sql
>>
>> Enable it for all 4 and you will have Qt 3.x support for all Qt app's
>> that are satisfied by the backwards compatibility support in Qt 4.x.
>
>The problem is that if you don't have qt3 support, Portage tells you
>to enable qt3support for _one_ of those packages. If you do exactly
>what portage tells you (enable it for that one package), then portage
>will complain and tell you to disable it for that package. At least
>that's what always seemed to happen for me.

I think you need to install the euses command, if you have not already
done so; its package name is the same as its command name. If you then
run:
euses qt3support
it will tell you exactly which packages are candidates for the USE
flag. It sorts out lots of Portage's vagaries in this area.