Old 04-30-2010, 01:24 PM
Kraus Philipp

Default two glibcs with different version

Hello,

I must test a software with a older version of the glibc. I run the
2.11.1 now but for one tool I need a previous version (2.6.1).
How can I compile the glibc without changing my system glibc. I would
like to set the previous glibc with the LD_PATH.
Can I run two different versions or is a better solution to downgrade
the system glib?

Thanks

Phil

Old 04-30-2010, 11:21 PM
walt

On 04/30/2010 06:24 AM, Kraus Philipp wrote:

Hello,

I must test a software with a older version of the glibc. I run the 2.11.1

> now but for one tool I need a previous version (2.6.1).

How can I compile the glibc without changing my system glibc. I would like

> to set the previous glibc with the LD_PATH.

Can I run two different versions or is a better solution to downgrade the

> system glib?

I know just barely enough to tell you to STOP and wait for expert advice
before you attempt ANYTHING. I can't give you any correct advice except
that you should make a complete backup of your entire system NOW because
your chances of doing what you want are very slim before you destroy your
operating system.

For now, just make complete backups of everything -- and then do nothing
more until an expert gives you better advice than mine.

No, really, don't do it yet. Really! (And burn a bootable gentoo rescue
CD/DVD while your machine is still working.)

Any experts out there who can give better advice?

Old 05-01-2010, 07:48 AM
Graham Murray

Kraus Philipp <philipp.kraus@flashpixx.de> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I must test a software with a older version of the glibc. I run the
> 2.11.1 now but for one tool I need a previous version (2.6.1).
> How can I compile the glibc without changing my system glibc. I would
> like to set the previous glibc with the LD_PATH.
> Can I run two different versions or is a better solution to downgrade
> the system glib?

I think that the only way you can do this is to create a chroot jail,
in which you build everything using the old version of glibc (in a very
similar way to building a new Gentoo system) and run your application in
that.

Old 05-01-2010, 08:31 AM
Kraus Philipp

I think that the only way you can do this is to create a chroot jail,
in which you build everything using the old version of glibc (in a
very
similar way to building a new Gentoo system) and run your
application in

that.

That's a very goog idea, because the programm is a network service.
Do you know a tutorial for creating root jails in this way?

Thanks

Old 05-01-2010, 08:32 AM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Samstag 01 Mai 2010, Graham Murray wrote:
> Kraus Philipp <philipp.kraus@flashpixx.de> writes:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I must test a software with a older version of the glibc. I run the
> > 2.11.1 now but for one tool I need a previous version (2.6.1).
> > How can I compile the glibc without changing my system glibc. I would
> > like to set the previous glibc with the LD_PATH.
> > Can I run two different versions or is a better solution to downgrade
> > the system glib?
>
> I think that the only way you can do this is to create a chroot jail,
> in which you build everything using the old version of glibc (in a very
> similar way to building a new Gentoo system) and run your application in
> that.

no, you can install glibc in /usr/local and then tell apps to either use the
libs in /usr/local or /usr.

It is just not easy because it easily breaks stuff in horrrible to fix ways.

Old 05-01-2010, 08:57 AM
Kraus Philipp

I must test a software with a older version of the glibc. I run the
2.11.1 now but for one tool I need a previous version (2.6.1).
How can I compile the glibc without changing my system glibc. I would
like to set the previous glibc with the LD_PATH.
Can I run two different versions or is a better solution to downgrade
the system glib?

I think that the only way you can do this is to create a chroot jail,
in which you build everything using the old version of glibc (in a very
similar way to building a new Gentoo system) and run your application in
that.

no, you can install glibc in /usr/local and then tell apps to either use the
libs in /usr/local or /usr.

It is just not easy because it easily breaks stuff in horrrible to fix ways.

Okay, can I downgrade my glibc? My Gentoo isn't a big system, it's a serverinstallation, so I can recompile the whole system. I had forgotten to mask theglibc on the last update. I have add a line to the portage.mask but emerge saysthat it can't compile the older version, because will damage the system.

Old 05-01-2010, 09:48 AM
William Kenworthy

On Sat, 2010-05-01 at 10:57 +0200, Kraus Philipp wrote:

> On 01.05.2010 um 10:32 wrote Volker Armin Hemmann:

> > > I think that the only way you can do this is to create a chroot
> > > jail,
> > > in which you build everything using the old version of glibc (in a
> > > very
> > > similar way to building a new Gentoo system) and run your
> > > application in
> > > that.
> >
> > no, you can install glibc in /usr/local and then tell apps to either
> > use the
> > libs in /usr/local or /usr.
> >
> > It is just not easy because it easily breaks stuff in horrrible to
> > fix ways.
> >

> Okay, can I downgrade my glibc? My Gentoo isn't a big system, it's a
> server
> installation, so I can recompile the whole system. I had forgotten to
> mask the
> glibc on the last update. I have add a line to the portage.mask but
> emerge says
> that it can't compile the older version, because will damage the
> system.

Would LD_PRELOAD solve your problem? - worked for me when needing to run
a legacy redhat app in the past on a more up-to-date gentoo system.

There is also a LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable. Get a binary copy of the libs
you need and put em somewhere convenient and let the rest of the system
stay as is.

google for LD_PRELOAD.

BillK

Old 05-01-2010, 10:25 AM
Kraus Philipp

[...]

I think that can solve my problem, because it's only this one lib all other libswork very well. *

There is also a LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable. *Get a binary copy of the libs
you need and put em somewhere convenient and let the rest of the system
stay as is.
I don't have the glibc binary. I can't emerge it and if I try to compile from the sources.The configure script says:*These critical programs are missing or too old: as ld
How I can compile the from the sources (http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/glibc/glibc-2.10.1.tar.gz) ?
Thanks
Phil

Old 05-01-2010, 10:40 AM
William Kenworthy

On Sat, 2010-05-01 at 12:25 +0200, Kraus Philipp wrote:

> Am 01.05.2010 um 11:48 schrieb William Kenworthy:

> > > Okay, can I downgrade my glibc? My Gentoo isn't a big system, it's
> > > server
> > > installation, so I can recompile the whole system. I had forgotten
> > > mask the
> > > glibc on the last update. I have add a line to the portage.mask
> > > but
> > > emerge says
> > > that it can't compile the older version, because will damage the
> > > system.
> > >

> > Would LD_PRELOAD solve your problem? - worked for me when needing to
> > run
> > a legacy redhat app in the past on a more up-to-date gentoo system.
> >

> I think that can solve my problem, because it's only this one lib all
> other libs
> work very well.
>
> > There is also a LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable. Get a binary copy of the
> > libs
> > you need and put em somewhere convenient and let the rest of the
> > system
> > stay as is.
>

> I don't have the glibc binary. I can't emerge it and if I try to
> compile from the sources.
> The configure script says: These critical programs are missing or too
> old: as ld
>

> How I can compile the from the sources
> (http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/glibc/glibc-2.10.1.tar.gz) ?
>

> Thanks
>

> Phil

You can use ebuild to build a package, but not install it - then just
un-compress it and grab the wanted libs. Or if you tell us what arch,
someone (me if its compatible) can create a binary pkg for you using
quickpkg. It might also be on the livecd/install medium as well - dont
have one here to check.

BillK

--
William Kenworthy <billk@iinet.net.au>
Home in Perth!

Old 05-01-2010, 10:52 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Saturday 01 May 2010 10:57:31 Kraus Philipp wrote:
> On 01.05.2010 um 10:32 wrote Volker Armin Hemmann:

> >> I think that the only way you can do this is to create a chroot jail,
> >> in which you build everything using the old version of glibc (in a
> >> very
> >> similar way to building a new Gentoo system) and run your
> >> application in
> >> that.
> >
> > no, you can install glibc in /usr/local and then tell apps to either
> > use the
> > libs in /usr/local or /usr.
> >
> > It is just not easy because it easily breaks stuff in horrrible to
> > fix ways.
>
> Okay, can I downgrade my glibc? My Gentoo isn't a big system, it's a
> server
> installation, so I can recompile the whole system. I had forgotten to
> mask the
> glibc on the last update. I have add a line to the portage.mask but
> emerge says
> that it can't compile the older version, because will damage the system.

There is a way to downgrade, but it's far from bullet proof. You might end up
with mutually incompatible code versions that makes the recompile world freak
out.

First, quickpkg your existing glibc
Then read the glibc ebuild. You can bypass the version checks, IIRC its an
envvar something like "I_AM_VERY_STUPID_OR_VERY_BRAVE". Failing that, just
comment out the version checks, redigest the ebuild and run it.
The rebuild world

Obviously, this is not for the faint of heart.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com