Old 01-13-2008, 06:12 PM
Florian Philipp

Default Create mutli-file .zip archives from the command line?

> Am Sonntag, 13. Januar 2008 schrieb Stroller:
> > I know I could do this by using RAR - or some other untility -
> > instead, but that would require me to install additional software on
> > the PC, which I'd rather not do.
> You could use 7-Zip e.g. from portableapps.com So you don't need to install
> it.
>
> > Besides, I'm surprised to find that
> > app-arch/zip - nor any other utility I can immediately find in
> > Portage - doesn't seem to handle this.
> Well, there is zipsplit which belongs to app-arch/zip. But I never used it.
> Maybe it does the trick for you.
>

> Regards,
> Jens

7zip / p7zip can also create splitted zip-archives which you can unzip
with any normal zip. Or you could create self extracting versions. 7z
can create these, too (although I never tried).

Old 01-13-2008, 06:15 PM
Florian Philipp

On Sun, 2008-01-13 at 16:13 +0100, Jesús Guerrero wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 15:59:04 +0100
> Renat Golubchyk <ragermany@gmx.net> wrote:
>
> > Hi!
> >
> > On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 14:21:30 +0000 Stroller
> > <stroller@stellar.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:
> > > What I thought to do was to break the .iso into a multi-part .zip
> > > archive, transfer the separate files over to the Windows PC and then
> > > unzip them back into the original big file using Explorer's built-in
>
> The problem is that fat32 can't handle files that are larger than
> 4gb-1byte. So, will still be unable to unzip or unrar that iso image.
[...]
> You have many other alternatives: use ntfs or even ext3/2. I know that
> there are drivers to use these filesystems on windows, I don't know
> how good or bad they are, though.
>
> --

Ext2 is supposed to be on the same level with fat32 in terms of speed
and stability. It doesn't care much about own and mod but that's it.

AFAIK there is no ext3 driver,yet. But you can still mount these as
ext2.

Reiserfs is readonly.