Old 04-26-2010, 10:11 PM
Dale

Default elogviewer and something odd with equery

Alex Schuster wrote:

Dale writes:

Again, I am using Konsole for this. This may be a KDE thing. I know
it worked fine in KDE3 but then again, a LOT of things worked fine in
KDE3.

It's probably not a KDE thing. I'm also using konsole in KDE4, and after
becoming root (via su or su -) I have no Problems starting X applications.

I'm no expert at X authorization stuff. But I know that in the past I also
had trouble when becoming root. Why it works for me and not for you - I
don't know.

Workarounds you might try:
- Emerge sux, and use sux instead of su. Worked for me in the past.
- ssh -Y root@localhost

Wonko

I don't use su. When I open the Konsole, it asks for a password. It
just uses the konsole command but it is told to run as root. This is
pretty much how it did in KDE3 tho. When I open it, it pops up a window
and asks for the root password. Then it opens Konsole. This is done
from the little K menu thingy.

That make sense?

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 04-26-2010, 10:42 PM
walt

Again, I am using Konsole for this. This may be a KDE thing. I know
it worked fine in KDE3 but then again, a LOT of things worked fine in
KDE3.

It's probably not a KDE thing. I'm also using konsole in KDE4, and after
becoming root (via su or su -) I have no Problems starting X applications.

I'm no expert at X authorization stuff. But I know that in the past I also
had trouble when becoming root. Why it works for me and not for you - I
don't know.

Workarounds you might try:
- Emerge sux, and use sux instead of su. Worked for me in the past.
- ssh -Y root@localhost

Wonko

I don't use su. When I open the Konsole, it asks for a password.

Does that mean you are not using the standard konsole, rather a special
icon intended to open a root terminal? Must be, otherwise it wouldn't
ask for the root password.

Try opening a standard user konsole and just use su instead. (Or even,
heaven forbid, an xterm instead of konsole.) That should detect a KDE
problem if it exists.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:58 PM
Dale