Old 04-24-2010, 02:40 AM
billyd

Default No longer getting elog messages

Thanks for the reply, Alan.

My hard drive space is adequate with at least 50% space available on the
partition where /var lives.

There are 2 versions of python installed but 2.6.5-r1 is the active one.
dev-lang/python: 2.6.5-r1, 3.1.2-r2

The Portage version is 2.1.8.3.

I have attached results of my emerge --info for reference also.

I am very perplexed about this especially since I had not made any changes to
my systems. Recall that this happened to all 3 of my Gentoo installs, not on
just one. One install is on a different computer. The 2 on the same computer
use different partitions.

I estimate the problem began about 2 weeks ago, but I can't be sure. I am
aware that not all emerged packages generate error, log or warn messages. I
just realized that nothing was being written to /var/log/portage/elog on any
of my 3 Gentoo installs. Then I noticed that duplicate emerge logs were being
written to /var/log/portage for each package that was emerge with # uNDv
world. I had never seen that before.

I suspect that some package that was emerged approximately 2 weeks ago has
caused this change, but I still haven't found what has happened. If this were
only on one of my Gentoo installs, I would suspect something with that
computer. But when I update with -uNDv world, I do it on all 3 the same day.
Now all 3 have the same identical problem.

For what it is worth, I am the only one with access to these computers so I
know it is nothing I have done. I must have missed some message or warning.

Also, when I do the # emerge -uNDv world, and the emerge finishes, there are
no errors reported in the Terminal - just a clean finish.

I have seen some posts on the forums about people having problems with this:

PORTAGE_ELOG_SYSTEM="save mail"

However, I don't use mail there - my entry in /etc/make.conf is:

PORTAGE_ELOG_SYSTEM="save"

I wonder if this could be a portage issue - maybe I should downgrade to a
previous portage version.

This is all very strange to me.

Thanks again.

billyd
Portage 2.1.8.3 (default/linux/amd64/10.0/no-multilib, gcc-4.4.3, glibc-2.11-r1, 2.6.33-gentoo-r1 x86_64)
System uname: Linux-2.6.33-gentoo-r1-x86_64-Intel-R-_Core-TM-_i7_CPU_920_@_2.67GHz-with-gentoo-2.0.1
Timestamp of tree: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 15:15:03 +0000
app-shells/bash: 4.1_p5
dev-lang/python: 2.6.5-r1, 3.1.2-r2
dev-util/cmake: 2.8.1-r1
sys-apps/baselayout: 2.0.1
sys-apps/openrc: 0.6.1-r1
sys-apps/sandbox: 2.2
sys-devel/autoconf: 2.65
sys-devel/automake: 1.8.5-r4, 1.9.6-r3, 1.10.3, 1.11.1
sys-devel/binutils: 2.20.1
sys-devel/gcc: 4.4.3
sys-devel/gcc-config: 1.4.1
sys-devel/libtool: 2.2.6b
virtual/os-headers: 2.6.33
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64 ~amd64"
ACCEPT_LICENSE="* -@EULA"
CBUILD="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-O2 -march=core2 -msse4 -pipe"
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/share/X11/xkb /usr/share/config"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/ca-certificates.conf /etc/env.d /etc/fonts/fonts.conf /etc/gconf /etc/gentoo-release /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/sandbox.d /etc/terminfo"
CXXFLAGS="-O2 -march=core2 -msse4 -pipe"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="assume-digests distlocks fixpackages news parallel-fetch protect-owned sandbox sfperms strict unmerge-logs unmerge-orphans userfetch"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://gentoo.chem.wisc.edu/gentoo/ http://gentoo.osuosl.org/ http://gentoo.cites.uiuc.edu/pub/gentoo/ ftp://ftp.ussg.iu.edu/pub/linux/gentoo http://gentoo.mirrors.pair.com/ http://gentoo.mirrors.tds.net/gentoo http://gentoo.mirrors.easynews.com/linux/gentoo/ "
LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1"
LINGUAS="en"
MAKEOPTS="-j5"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT="/"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --stats --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
SYNC="rsync://192.168.1.15/gentoo-portage"
USE="X a52 aac aalib acl acpi alsa amd64 apm audiofile berkdb branding bzip2 cairo cdr cli cracklib cups cxx dbus dri dvd dvdr dvdread exif ffmpeg flac foomaticdb fortran gdbm gif glib glitz gnutls gpm hal iconv imlib ipv6 jpeg jpeg2k kde lcms libcaca libnotify libwww logrotate lzma mad mikmod mmx mng modules mp3 mp4 mpeg mudflap mysql ncurses nls nptl nptlonly nsplugin nvidia ogg opengl openmp pam pcre pdf perl plasma png ppds python qt3support qt4 quicktime readline reflection sdl semantic-desktop session smp sndfile spell spl sql sqlite sse sse2 sse3 sse4 ssl startup-notification svg sysfs tcl tcpd tiff tk truetype type1 udev unicode usb vorbis webkit x264 xine xml xorg xscreensaver xulrunner xv xvid zlib" ALSA_CARDS="hda-intel" ALSA_PCM_PLUGINS="adpcm alaw asym copy dmix dshare dsnoop empty extplug file hooks iec958 ioplug ladspa lfloat linear meter mmap_emul mulaw multi null plug rate route share shm softvol" ELIBC="glibc" INPUT_DEVICES="evdev keyboard mouse" KERNEL="linux" LCD_DEVICES="ncurses text" LINGUAS="en" RUBY_TARGETS="ruby18" SANE_BACKENDS="hp" USERLAND="GNU" VIDEO_CARDS="nv vesa nvidia"
Unset: CPPFLAGS, CTARGET, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, FFLAGS, INSTALL_MASK, LC_ALL, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS, PORTDIR_OVERLAY

Old 04-24-2010, 03:02 AM
Nikos Chantziaras

My hard drive space is adequate with at least 50% space available on the
partition where /var lives.

Can you post the output of "df -i"? Free space is only one
consideration. The other is free inodes.

Old 04-24-2010, 08:51 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Saturday 24 April 2010 04:40:55 billyd wrote:
> Thanks for the reply, Alan.
>
> My hard drive space is adequate with at least 50% space available on the
> partition where /var lives.
>
> There are 2 versions of python installed but 2.6.5-r1 is the active one.
> dev-lang/python: 2.6.5-r1, 3.1.2-r2
>
> The Portage version is 2.1.8.3.
>
> I have attached results of my emerge --info for reference also.

That all looks fine - I didn't really think that would be the problem, but one
has to check ;-)

Do you have genlop installed? That will tell you what got updated about two
weeks ago. Determine the most recent dated file in elog/ and adapt this
command as appropriate:

genlop -l --date "8 Apr 2010" --date "12 Apr 2010"

Downgrade everything related one package at a time.

When you say you get duplicate files in /var/log/portage, do you mean they are
identical in every way? I also get two files, but one is the build summary and
the other is a complete detailed build log.

You are using unstable python and stable portage. You might want to upgrade to
unstable portage to gain the benefits in the 2.2 branch

My system here works fine with the following software:

portage-2.2_rc67
python-2.6.5-r1
python-3.1.2-r2

$ grep LOG /etc/make.conf
PORT_LOGDIR=/var/log/portage
PORTAGE_ELOG_CLASSES="warn error log qa"
PORTAGE_ELOG_SYSTEM="save"

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com