Old 04-23-2010, 05:12 PM
billyd

Default No longer getting elog messages

Hi, all:

I used to get info, error and warn messages in /var/log/portage/elog after
emerging packages or doing emerge -uNDvp world. Beginning about 2 weeks
ago, I noticed I am no longer getting those elog entries. Additionally, I
noticed that I am getting duplicate entries for each package that is emerged
in /var/log/portage (of course, these are the compile logs).

I have Gentoo installed on 2 computers, both using arch ~amd64. All 3
installations have KDE 4 (latest in portage for ~amd64 arch).

PC #1 uses this profile: default/linux/amd64/10.0/desktop/kde
PC #2 has two installs:

Install #1 uses profile: default/linux/amd64/10.0/desktop
Install #2 uses profile: default/linux/amd64/10.0/no-multilib

This problem is happening on all 3 of my Gentoo installations and all started
at the same time. The only changes have been through doing updates. I sync
nearly every day followed my # emerge -uNDvp world. Other than issues with
xorg-server 1.8.0 and the nvidia-drivers, all my updates have been successful.

Note: I have masked xorg-server 1.8.0 in /etc/portage/package.mask until the
nvidia-drivers catch up.

I have searched the forums, checked bugzilla and googled on this topic and
have yet to find a solution. My Gentoo installs are working just fine except
for this issue.

I have attached /etc/make.conf from only one of the installs as they are all
the same. Here are the 3 lines I have in my make.conf files as they relate to
logging the elog messages:

PORT_LOGDIR="/var/log/portage"
PORTAGE_ELOG_CLASSES="log warn error"
PORTAGE_ELOG_SYSTEM="save"

Thank you for the help.

billyd

# These settings were set by the catalyst build script that automatically
# built this stage.
# Please consult /usr/share/portage/config/make.conf.example for a more
# detailed example.
CFLAGS="-O2 -march=core2 -msse4 -pipe"
CXXFLAGS="-O2 -march=core2 -msse4 -pipe"
# WARNING: Changing your CHOST is not something that should be done lightly.
# Please consult http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/change-chost.xml before changing.
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
# These are the USE flags that were used in addition to what is provided by the
# profile used for building.
MAKEOPTS="-j5"
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~amd64"
LINGUAS="en"

PORT_LOGDIR="/var/log/portage"
PORTAGE_ELOG_CLASSES="log warn error"
PORTAGE_ELOG_SYSTEM="save"

GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://gentoo.chem.wisc.edu/gentoo/ http://gentoo.osuosl.org/ http://gentoo.cites.uiuc.edu/pub/gentoo/ ftp://ftp.ussg.iu.edu/pub/linux/gentoo http://gentoo.mirrors.pair.com/ http://gentoo.mirrors.tds.net/gentoo http://gentoo.mirrors.easynews.com/linux/gentoo/ "

SYNC="rsync://192.168.1.15/gentoo-portage"
#SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
#SYNC="rsync://rsync.namerica.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"

USE="X a52 aac aalib acpi alsa apm audiofile branding cairo cdr consolekit
cups dbus dvd dvdr dvdread exif ffmpeg flac foomaticdb gif glib glitz gnutls
gpm hal imlib jpeg jpeg2k kde lcms libcaca libnotify libwww logrotate lzma mad
mikmod mmx mng mp3 mp4 mpeg mysql nsplugin nvidia ogg opengl pdf plasma png
ppds qt3support qt4 quicktime sdl semantic-desktop smp sndfile spell sql
sqlite sse sse2 sse3 sse4 startup-notification svg tcl tiff tk truetype
type1 udev usb vorbis webkit x264 xine xml xscreensaver xulrunner xv xvid
-consolekit -crypt -pppd"

ALSA_CARDS="hda-intel"
INPUT_DEVICES="evdev keyboard mouse"
VIDEO_CARDS="nv vesa nvidia"
APACHE2_MODULES=""
LCD_DEVICES="ncurses text"
SANE_BACKENDS="hp"

Old 04-23-2010, 10:37 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Friday 23 April 2010 19:12:45 billyd wrote:
> Hi, all:
>
> I used to get info, error and warn messages in /var/log/portage/elog after
> emerging packages or doing emerge -uNDvp world. Beginning about 2 weeks
> ago, I noticed I am no longer getting those elog entries. Additionally, I
> noticed that I am getting duplicate entries for each package that is
> emerged in /var/log/portage (of course, these are the compile logs).

Have you checked the obvious things, like sufficient disk space in elog/ ?

What version of portage and python are you running?

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com