Old 04-20-2010, 11:05 PM
john

Default xorg-server upgrade

Hello,
After updating my machine which included upgrading
xorg-server-1.7.6. I was left with a none working mouse and
keyboard. After an hour or so of checking I decided to
re-emerge xorg-server again to discover a message to rebuild
x11-drivers. I rebuilt x11-drivers/xf86-input-evdev and mouse
and keyboard worked again.

Question 1
Should x11-drivers/xf86-input-evdev be rebuilt automatically
after xorg-server upgrade?

Linux/Gentoo appaers to be moving away from xorg.conf and
towards hal/policices. When using proprietary graphics
drivers you also need xorg.conf.

Question 2
Is it possible to use proprietary ati-drivers and
nvidia-drivers wthout having to use xorg.conf. Can this
be done through hal and will this change in the future?

I have tried using x11 radeon driver with built in kernel
direct rendering. The performance of this was relatively poor.
Stellarium would not work, a few games would barely
function. ati-drivers-8.7.2 works well with xorg-server-1.7.6
and cured all these issues but this required unmasking hard
masked package.

Question 3
Sould I expect x11 radeon driver with built in kernel dri to be
as good as fglrx? Direct rendering was running (glxinfo).

Thanks. Hope this is clear
--------------
John D Maunder
john@arcticwolf.myzen.co.uk

Old 04-20-2010, 11:33 PM
Mark Knecht

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 4:05 PM, john <john@arcticwolf.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> Hello,
> * * * *After updating my machine which included upgrading
> * * * *xorg-server-1.7.6. I was left with a none working mouse and
> * * * *keyboard. After an hour or so of checking I decided to
> * * * *re-emerge xorg-server again to discover a message to rebuild
> * * * *x11-drivers. I rebuilt x11-drivers/xf86-input-evdev and mouse
> * * * *and keyboard worked again.
>
> * * * *Question 1
> * * * *Should x11-drivers/xf86-input-evdev be rebuilt automatically
> * * * *after xorg-server upgrade?

Check out module-rebuild. You put a list of packages in it - evdev,
keyboard, nvidia-drivers, vmware-modules, etc., and then just run it
after an xorg-server upgrade or a kernel change. Once you set it up
you don't have to remember too much about which packages need to be
rebuilt. I just run

module-rebuild -X rebuild

and it all gets done for me.

Hope this helps,
Mark

Old 04-21-2010, 12:05 AM
Peter Humphrey

On Wednesday 21 April 2010 00:33:19 Mark Knecht wrote:

> Check out module-rebuild. You put a list of packages in it

How and where does one do that?

--
Rgds
Peter.