Old 04-20-2010, 05:47 PM
Jarry

Default In which order services are started?

Hi,
$SUBJECT says it all:

Is there any way to find out in which order services are
started during boot-up (except for looking at boot-up
screen and making notes)?

I tried to figure it out looking into /etc/init.d scripts,
but there are a lot of depend/need/use/before statements,
so I quicky lost trace...

Jarry

Old 04-20-2010, 06:20 PM
Bartosz Szatkowski

Dnia 2010-04-20, wto o godzinie 19:47 +0200, Jarry pisze:
> Hi,
> $SUBJECT says it all:
>
> Is there any way to find out in which order services are
> started during boot-up (except for looking at boot-up
> screen and making notes)?
>
> I tried to figure it out looking into /etc/init.d scripts,
> but there are a lot of depend/need/use/before statements,
> so I quicky lost trace...
>
> Jarry

You could use the "interactive way" so you will be prompted to accept
every service starts. You can do this by pouching "I" during OpenRC
start (or something like this - there is some kind of message, during
OpenRC start, something like "Press "I" for interactive mode")

--
Bartosz Szatkowski
KeyFP: 1568 D5A7 B14C 0727 1C61 ACFB ABDE C08A DDB7 1F70

The freedom to study how a program works, and adapt it to your needs
(freedom 1)

Old 04-20-2010, 07:28 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 19:47:55 +0200, Jarry wrote:

> Is there any way to find out in which order services are
> started during boot-up (except for looking at boot-up
> screen and making notes)?

You could turn on boot logging in rc.conf and look at /var/log/rc.log.

--
Neil Bothwick

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

Old 04-21-2010, 12:01 AM
Peter Humphrey

On Tuesday 20 April 2010 20:28:42 Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 19:47:55 +0200, Jarry wrote:
> > Is there any way to find out in which order services are
> > started during boot-up (except for looking at boot-up
> > screen and making notes)?
>
> You could turn on boot logging in rc.conf and look at
> /var/log/rc.log.

I think Jarry wanted to know what to tweak to change the order. I wanted
to know this as well not long ago, but I didn't have the energy to chase
it. (I wanted gpm to be started earlier in the sequence but without
putting it in the boot run level.)

--
Rgds
Peter.

Old 04-21-2010, 07:50 AM
Florian Philipp

Am 20.04.2010 21:28, schrieb Neil Bothwick:
> On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 19:47:55 +0200, Jarry wrote:
>
>> Is there any way to find out in which order services are
>> started during boot-up (except for looking at boot-up
>> screen and making notes)?
>
> You could turn on boot logging in rc.conf and look at /var/log/rc.log.

How do I do this?
My rc.conf doesn't contain anything that looks like a fitting parameter.
There is no man-page for rc.conf, either.

Thanks in advance,
Florian Philipp

Old 04-21-2010, 07:59 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 09:50:07 +0200, Florian Philipp wrote:

> > You could turn on boot logging in rc.conf and look at /var/log/rc.log.

> How do I do this?
> My rc.conf doesn't contain anything that looks like a fitting parameter.
> There is no man-page for rc.conf, either.

rc_logger="YES"

in /etc/rc.conf for openrc. Baselayout1 has a similar setting somewhere.

--
Neil Bothwick

If Microsoft made cars:
"The airbag system would ask "are you sure?" before deploying."

Old 04-21-2010, 08:04 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 01:01:00 +0100, Peter Humphrey wrote:

> > > Is there any way to find out in which order services are
> > > started during boot-up (except for looking at boot-up
> > > screen and making notes)?
> >
> > You could turn on boot logging in rc.conf and look at
> > /var/log/rc.log.
>
> I think Jarry wanted to know what to tweak to change the order. I
> wanted to know this as well not long ago, but I didn't have the energy
> to chase it. (I wanted gpm to be started earlier in the sequence but
> without putting it in the boot run level.)

If he did, that's not what he asked. You change the order by adding
before/after statements to the scripts in /etc/init.d. I believe with
openrc you can have a similar effect by setting rc_after or rc_before in
the corresponding file in /etc/conf.d. I've never tried this but it is
documented in /etc/rc.conf.

--
Neil Bothwick

IBM: Itty Bitty Mentality

Old 04-21-2010, 09:24 AM
Alex Schuster

Jarry writes:

> Is there any way to find out in which order services are
> started during boot-up (except for looking at boot-up
> screen and making notes)?

I think the output of 'rc-status' shows the services in the right order.

Wonko

Old 04-21-2010, 10:05 AM
Dale

Alex Schuster wrote:

Jarry writes:

Is there any way to find out in which order services are
started during boot-up (except for looking at boot-up
screen and making notes)?

I think the output of 'rc-status' shows the services in the right order.

Wonko

It may be a coincidence but mine are alphabetical. Also, mine only
shows the ones in the current runlevel, default at the moment. It does
not list the ones in the boot runlevel.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 04-21-2010, 10:21 AM
YoYo siska

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 05:05:46AM -0500, Dale wrote:
> Alex Schuster wrote:
>> Jarry writes:
>>

>>> Is there any way to find out in which order services are
>>> started during boot-up (except for looking at boot-up
>>> screen and making notes)?
>>>
>> I think the output of 'rc-status' shows the services in the right order.
>>
>> Wonko
>>

> It may be a coincidence but mine are alphabetical. Also, mine only
> shows the ones in the current runlevel, default at the moment. It does
> not list the ones in the boot runlevel.

rc-status --all

yoyo