Old 04-20-2010, 08:59 AM
Daniel Pielmeier

Default hplip recompiled with scanner use flag now scanning works, printing does not.

2010/4/19 ubiquitous1980 <nixuser1980@gmail.com>:
> Recompiled hplip for use with C5180 with new use flag: scanner.* Now
> scanning works, printing does not.* Recompiled with new-hpcups use flag.
> Still not working.* Output from cups web interface:
> "/usr/libexec/cups/backend/hp failed"

Is it connected via network or usb? Which hplip version? Which cups version?

--
Daniel Pielmeier

Old 04-20-2010, 03:03 PM
Paul Hartman

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 5:58 AM, ubiquitous1980 <nixuser1980@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Daniel
>
> The all-in-one printer is connected via USB. The following versions are
> installed:
>
> net-print/hplip-3.9.12-r1
> net-print/cups-1.3.11-r1

Try to blacklist & rmmod the usblp module. I had to do that for my HP
USB printer to work. Whenever usblp module was loaded, printing
failed... I don't know if it applies to your printer as well, but it's
something easy to try.

Old 04-20-2010, 05:26 PM
Daniel Pielmeier

Paul Hartman schrieb am 20.04.2010 17:03:
> On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 5:58 AM, ubiquitous1980 <nixuser1980@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello Daniel
>>
>> The all-in-one printer is connected via USB. The following versions are
>> installed:
>>
>> net-print/hplip-3.9.12-r1
>> net-print/cups-1.3.11-r1
>
> Try to blacklist & rmmod the usblp module. I had to do that for my HP
> USB printer to work. Whenever usblp module was loaded, printing
> failed... I don't know if it applies to your printer as well, but it's
> something easy to try.

I do not own an all-in-one printer so I can not test, but if Paul's suggestions
do not work can you tell me the permissions of your device.

lsusb
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 03f0:1712 Hewlett-Packard Printing Support
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

lsusb tells you to which bus the printer is attached. In my case it is Bus 001
and Device 002 so I have the following device /dev/bus/usb/001/002

ls -al /dev/bus/usb/001/002
crw-rw-r-- 1 root lp 189, 1 20. Apr 19:05 /dev/bus/usb/001/002

There should also be a /dev/usb/lp0

ls -al /dev/usb/lp0
crw-rw---- 1 root lp 180, 0 20. Apr 19:05 /dev/usb/lp0

Do you have the same permissions or do they differ?

--
Daniel Pielmeier

Old 04-23-2010, 11:51 AM
Daniel Pielmeier

2010/4/23 ubiquitous1980 <nixuser1980@gmail.com>:
> Daniel,
>
> Some additional info in the log file:

So your device uses the scanner group where mine uses the lp group.
From your log file I see you are in the scanner and the lp group, so
you should have the appropriate permissions to access the device.

Nevertheless can you post the the groups your user is in by entering
"groups" on the commandline

Also did you add your printer through the cups webinterface or hp-setup?

--
Daniel Pielmeier

Old 04-23-2010, 04:03 PM
Daniel Pielmeier

2010/4/23 ubiquitous1980 <nixuser1980@gmail.com>:
> Hello Daniel,
>
> I have tried both cups webinterface and hp-setup with the same results.
> My groups are as follows:
>
> adm disk lp wheel uucp audio cdrom dialout video games cdrw usb users
> haldaemon plugdev gdm ubiquitous1980 polkituser scanner

Hm I am out of ideas now. You can try a newer version of hplip maybe
this solves your issue.
There is also a forum post [1] where a user had a similar problem and
solved it by adding the lp user to the scanner group. See the last
comment of the thread.

[1] https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-822795.html?sid=f4214ab346ef56e607623918801d5764

--
Daniel Pielmeier