Old 04-21-2010, 09:59 AM
Alan McKinnon

Default sys-kernel/ck-sources - why should I use them?

On Tuesday 20 April 2010 16:41:03 Helmut Jarausch wrote:
> On 20 Apr, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> > On Dienstag 20 April 2010, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> has anybody experience with these new sys-kernel/ck-sources?
> >> I could only see they have additional patches (in addition to those
> >> of gentoo-sources).
> >> But I didn't find which patches and why these have only been applied to
> >> ck-sources?
> >>
> >> Thanks for your opinion,
> >> Helmut.
> >
> > if you have more than 2 cores, you shouldn't use them
>
> Why, it's said to scale well up to 16 cores (at least)?

Does ck-sources apply the bfs patches?

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 04-21-2010, 10:08 AM
Nikos Chantziaras

On 04/21/2010 12:59 PM, Alan McKinnon wrote:

On Tuesday 20 April 2010 16:41:03 Helmut Jarausch wrote:

On 20 Apr, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:

On Dienstag 20 April 2010, Helmut Jarausch wrote:

Hi,

has anybody experience with these new sys-kernel/ck-sources?
I could only see they have additional patches (in addition to those
of gentoo-sources).
But I didn't find which patches and why these have only been applied to
ck-sources?

Thanks for your opinion,
Helmut.

if you have more than 2 cores, you shouldn't use them

Why, it's said to scale well up to 16 cores (at least)?

Does ck-sources apply the bfs patches?

Yes. Though it applies everything, not just BFS, and I'm not sure if
this a good idea or not.

Old 04-21-2010, 10:26 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Wednesday 21 April 2010 12:08:47 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> On 04/21/2010 12:59 PM, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> >> Why, it's said to scale well up to 16 cores (at least)?
> >
> > Does ck-sources apply the bfs patches?
>
> Yes. Though it applies everything, not just BFS, and I'm not sure if
> this a good idea or not.

How is ck-sources different from zen-sources?

zen-sources seems to be a gigantic mixing pot of every possible patch set ever
written that might be useful to someone somewhere...

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 04-21-2010, 10:39 AM
Nikos Chantziaras

has anybody experience with these new sys-kernel/ck-sources?
I could only see they have additional patches (in addition to those
of gentoo-sources).
But I didn't find which patches and why these have only been applied
to ck-sources?

Thanks for your opinion,
Helmut.

if you have more than 2 cores, you shouldn't use them

Why, it's said to scale well up to 16 cores (at least)?

Does ck-sources apply the bfs patches?

Yes. Though it applies everything, not just BFS, and I'm not sure if
this a good idea or not.

How is ck-sources different from zen-sources?

ck-sources only applies CK's patches.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:14 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 12:26:13 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> > Yes. Though it applies everything, not just BFS, and I'm not sure if
> > this a good idea or not.
>
> How is ck-sources different from zen-sources?
>
> zen-sources seems to be a gigantic mixing pot of every possible patch
> set ever written that might be useful to someone somewhere...

Maybe some sort of super-sources package, with the various patches
controlled by USE flags would be a good idea. Then we could have a kernel
with just the patches we want, like:

USE="gentoo reiser4 -bfs" emerge super-sources

--
Neil Bothwick

What do you have when you have six lawyers buried up to their necks in
sand? Not enough sand.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:17 AM
KH

Maybe some sort of super-sources package, with the various patches
controlled by USE flags would be a good idea. Then we could have a kernel
with just the patches we want, like:

USE="gentoo reiser4 -bfs" emerge super-sources

Are we too late for google summer of code 2010?

kh