Old 04-20-2010, 02:33 AM
"Walter Dnes"

Default Wifi connectivity redux

It's so easy once you know how. I did some web surfing yesterday on
my netbook at the Toronto Public Library (North York Centre). The main
problem turned out to be that I had to drop my firewall for a few
seconds during authentication, then I could bring it back up. There is
an initial redirect to a EULA webpage of sorts, in the 10.x.x.x range,
which I have blocked.

Anyhow, for the benefit of anyone else trying to do the same, here is
my successful setup. I have an ath5k-driven Wifi chip, and ath5k is
built as a module. It is *NOT* loaded at bootup. wpa_supplicant is the
client software I use (command-line only).

/etc/conf.d/net
===============
config_eth0="192.168.123.249 broadcast 192.168.123.255 netmask
255.255.255.248 mtu 1452"
routes_eth0=(
"default via 192.168.123.254 metric 2"
"192.168.123.248/29 via 192.168.123.254 metric 0"
)
modules=( "wpa_supplicant" )
config_wlan0=( "null" )
wpa_supplicant_wlan0="-Dwext"
wpa_timeout_wlan0=15

I do *NOT* have /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf This causes wpa_supplicant
to *NOT* load. This is deliberate. /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf.open is
the file name I use for open access points...

/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf.open
=============================
ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant

# Connect to an open AP
network={
ssid="Toronto Public Library"
key_mgmt=NONE
priority=9
}

network={
key_mgmt=NONE
priority=-9
}

And finally, a script ~/bin/wi_open that ties it all together.
Remember to put appropriate lines in /etc/sudoers

~/bin/wi_open
=============
#!/bin/bash
sudo /sbin/modprobe ath5k
sudo /etc/init.d/net.wlan0 restart
sudo /sbin/ifconfig wlan0 up
sudo /sbin/iwconfig wlan0 essid any channel auto
sudo /usr/sbin/wpa_supplicant -B -iwlan0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf.open
sudo /sbin/dhcpcd wlan0

If you have a different chip, you'll need a different module. Having
gotten that to work, my next adventure will be getting the netbook to
work with a wireless router in WPA mode.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>