Old 11-23-2007, 01:52 PM
Philip Webb

Default new box working well: 2 small problems

My new machine is working well & thanks again for various advice
(see earlier msgs for details of hardware etc).
I set up LVM & had to enable a few things in the kernel,
but the only real obstacle was the graphics chip -- Intel on the mobo -- ,
whose driver is simply not ready yet, so I bought an Nvidia card.
The system is the same (except 64-bit), except that I'm using Firefox
after finding it required 50 pkgs to install Epiphany (grimace).
On average, CPU-intensive tasks take 40 % as long as previously
(Intel E6750 + 1066 MHz memory now, AMD Athlon 2500+ + 400 MHz before).

2 small irritants remain. (1) CPU temperatures are inaccurate:
when I start from cold in a room at 26 C (by my everyday thermometer),
BIOS shows both CPUs at 8 C : the graphics chip is also misread,
but the other direction, showing 44 C ; clearly, both sb room-temperature.
Currently, both are showing 23 C in Gkrellm (room is 28 C ).
I can correct the GPU in Gkrellm, but the CPU temperatures defy change:
settings boxes are grey & editing ~/.gkrellm2/sensor-config has no effect.
Moreover, there is a warning in the kernel messages ('dmesg'):

CPU0: Thermal monitoring enabled (TM2)
CPU1: Thermal monitoring enabled (TM2)
coretemp coretemp.0: Using undocumented features,
absolute temperature might be wrong!
coretemp coretemp.1: Using undocumented features,
absolute temperature might be wrong!

I searched the Forum & tried Google without much success
& 'coretemp' does not appear as a 'chip' in /etc/sensors.conf .
It looks like a driver problem, perhaps compounded by Gkrellm.

(2) I'm having random freezes when using the diskette (floppy) drive:
insert a disk, enter an Mtools cmd & the only way out is the reset button.
I swapped drive+cable with the previous box without any effect.
'Alt-SysRq-K' has no effect. It has not happened before going back to 2000.
Hald detects the drive on start-up with a distinct "clunk" from the box.
Might it be a mobo defect ? -- perhaps they don't test floppies much today.

Has anyone else encountered either of these problems or have a suggestion ?

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb : purslow@chass.utoronto.ca
ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Centre for Urban & Community Studies
TRANSIT `-O----------O---' University of Toronto