Old 04-18-2010, 09:28 PM
Mick

Default Where's my wireless AP?

Last night I was connected wirelessly to my access point and all worked fine.
Well, towards the end the connection was bobbing up and down as far as my
unreliable broadcom NIC is concerned (nothing wrong with the router). I
decided to shut it down and go to bed.

Today the AP is just not there! Not there as far as this stupid broadcom
wireless NIC is concerned. The same machine booted into MSWindows has no
problem seeing the AP and associating with it. Another laptop can also see
the AP and connect to it.

How come the broadcom cannot see it in Gentoo, but it can see all the
neighbours APs which have a much weaker signal and even associate and get an
IP address from one of them?! I am lost as to what might be causing this.

Could it be some lock file that was not removed when the machine is rebooted
or the wlan0 interface taken down? Any ideas how I can troubleshoot this?
Mick

Old 04-18-2010, 10:35 PM
Mick

On 18 April 2010 22:28, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:
> Last night I was connected wirelessly to my access point and all worked fine.
> Well, towards the end the connection was bobbing up and down as far as my
> unreliable broadcom NIC is concerned (nothing wrong with the router). *I
> decided to shut it down and go to bed.
>
> Today the AP is just not there! *Not there as far as this stupid broadcom
> wireless NIC is concerned. *The same machine booted into MSWindows has no
> problem seeing the AP and associating with it. *Another laptop can also see
> the AP and connect to it.
>
> How come the broadcom cannot see it in Gentoo, but it can see all the
> neighbours APs which have a much weaker signal and even associate and get an
> IP address from one of them?! *I am lost as to what might be causing this.
>
> Could it be some lock file that was not removed when the machine is rebooted
> or the wlan0 interface taken down? *Any ideas how I can troubleshoot this?

OK, I found what the problem was ... the AP is currently transmitting
on channel 13, which it seems is outside the capabilities of the b43
driver. I am blaming the driver here because the Windows 7 OS has no
problem using channel 13, while iwlist wlan0 in Gentoo shows only up
to channel 11. :-(

Will need to wait for the driver to hopefully improve.
Mick

Old 04-19-2010, 05:26 PM
Stroller