Old 04-18-2010, 09:07 PM
Harry Putnam

Default I want my Ctrl+Alt+Backspace back

I've seen on this group some time back a few ways, or at least more
than 1 as I recall to retain the ability to leave X with
Ctrl+Alt_+BKSPC.

I'm not finding it now readily.

Can someone tell me where that setting may be made.

If it has something to do with new way of starting X where we don't
need an xorg.conf file... I should say that I still use
/etc/X11/xorg.conf (In case that makes a difference)

I find trying to leave X with the `logout' menu item provided on the
Xfce4 destop, that if X has been running a while is seems to take a
very long time to get out of X that way, and possibly not only long
but even ever, short of:

kill -TERM `ps wwaux|awk '/X.*-nolisten tc[p]/{print $2}'`

Or killing the pid some other way.

The Ctrl+alt+bkspc was a much nicer fallback.

Old 04-18-2010, 09:15 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

I've seen on this group some time back a few ways, or at least more
than 1 as I recall to retain the ability to leave X with
Ctrl+Alt_+BKSPC.

I'm not finding it now readily.

Can someone tell me where that setting may be made.

If it has something to do with new way of starting X where we don't
need an xorg.conf file... I should say that I still use
/etc/X11/xorg.conf (In case that makes a difference)

I find trying to leave X with the `logout' menu item provided on the
Xfce4 destop, that if X has been running a while is seems to take a
very long time to get out of X that way, and possibly not only long
but even ever, short of:

kill -TERM `ps wwaux|awk '/X.*-nolisten tc[p]/{print $2}'`

Or killing the pid some other way.

The Ctrl+alt+bkspc was a much nicer fallback.

The only way I could find that works was an option for it in KDE4's
keyboard layout settings. KDE was nice enough to explain what it is
doing under the hood though, which is adding:

-option terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp

to the "setxkbmap" command it uses to apply the keyboard settings.

Old 04-18-2010, 09:47 PM
Mick

On Sunday 18 April 2010 22:15:34 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> On 04/19/2010 12:07 AM, Harry Putnam wrote:
> > I've seen on this group some time back a few ways, or at least more
> > than 1 as I recall to retain the ability to leave X with
> > Ctrl+Alt_+BKSPC.
> >
> > I'm not finding it now readily.
> >
> > Can someone tell me where that setting may be made.
> >
> > If it has something to do with new way of starting X where we don't
> > need an xorg.conf file... I should say that I still use
> > /etc/X11/xorg.conf (In case that makes a difference)
> >
> > I find trying to leave X with the `logout' menu item provided on the
> > Xfce4 destop, that if X has been running a while is seems to take a
> > very long time to get out of X that way, and possibly not only long
> > but even ever, short of:
> >
> > kill -TERM `ps wwaux|awk '/X.*-nolisten tc[p]/{print $2}'`
> >
> > Or killing the pid some other way.
> >
> > The Ctrl+alt+bkspc was a much nicer fallback.
>
> The only way I could find that works was an option for it in KDE4's
> keyboard layout settings. KDE was nice enough to explain what it is
> doing under the hood though, which is adding:
>
> -option terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp
>
> to the "setxkbmap" command it uses to apply the keyboard settings.

In your xorg.conf you need:

Section "InputDevice"
[snip ...]
Option "XkbOptions" "terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"
EndSection

The 'new' way of setting it up without a xorg.conf file is to set it up in
your /etc/hal/fdi/policy/10-keymap.fdi like so:

<merge key="input.xkb.options" type="string">terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp</merge>

Read more details here:

http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/desktop/x/x11/xorg-server-1.6-upgrade-guide.xml

Mick