Old 04-18-2010, 08:28 PM
Tanstaafl

Default Recompile system but omit package?

On 2010-04-18 1:58 PM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 11:00:40 -0400, Tanstaafl wrote:
>
>> After masking gcc (and glibc - same argument there), I get:
>>
>> emerge -pev world
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> Total: 351 packages (351 reinstalls), Size of downloads: 5 kB
>> Portage tree and overlays:
>> [0] /usr/portage
>> [?] indicates that the source repository could not be determined
>>
>> !!! The following installed packages are masked:
>> - sys-devel/gcc-4.1.2 (masked by: package.mask)
>> - sys-libs/glibc-2.10.1-r1 (masked by: package.mask)
>> - sys-devel/gcc-4.3.4 (masked by: package.mask)
>> For more information, see the MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge
>> man page or refer to the Gentoo Handbook.

> You could put it in /etc/portage/profile/package.provided too, so the
> system knows it is there. But what's the big deal anyway, you could have
> re-emerge gcc tens of times over in the time this thread has been running.
>
> It's not as though you can't use your computer for other things while gcc
> is compiling.

I know, its more an exercise for my own knowledge. I learned a few
things today that will save me time in the future, and every little bit
helps...

Thanks a lot for the feedback...

--

Charles

Old 04-18-2010, 10:36 PM
Peter Humphrey

On Sunday 18 April 2010 17:29:12 YoYo siska wrote:

> You can still break the emerge (for example with ctrl-c) when it
> starts to emerge gcc, the continue the emerge process with emerge
> --resume --skipfirst
>
> that's what I usually do with openoffice and similar apps when I do a
> "quick" update and fail to notice the large app in there..

I assume you aren't specifying --jobs=[2,3,4,...]. Very useful
embellishment of emerge: gets things done in half the time.

--
Rgds
Peter.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:43 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 23:36:54 +0100, Peter Humphrey wrote:

> I assume you aren't specifying --jobs=[2,3,4,...]. Very useful
> embellishment of emerge: gets things done in half the time.

--jobs=2 doubles the number of ebuilds being merged, not the number of
cores in your processor :-O

It is faster, but not by that much, unless you use MAKEOPTS=-j1

--
Neil Bothwick

Top Oxymorons Number 22: Childproof