Old 04-18-2010, 04:52 PM
Tanstaafl

Default Recompile system but omit package?

On 2010-04-18 12:29 PM, YoYo siska wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 11:57:48AM -0400, Tanstaafl wrote:
>> On 2010-04-18 11:45 AM, Johannes Kimmel wrote:
>>> well... you could use --keep-going and kill something when gcc
>>> compiles. not very nice, but will work without breaking
>>> anything.

>> Dang - I already started the emerge...

> You can still break the emerge (for example with ctrl-c) when it
> starts to emerge gcc, the continue the emerge process with emerge
> --resume --skipfirst

To clarify - I can do this with the currently running emerge (that did
not specify --keep-going)?

So, when it gets to gcc (its on package # 181 of 355 now, hasn't hit
either of the gcc's or glibc yet), hit ctrl-c, then:

emerge --resume --skipfirst

? Do I need to add the -ev world in there? Or does emerge just know
where to pick up all by itself?

This is good info to have.

Also - is it ok to do this during the actual compile? Or do I need to
catch it before the actual compiling starts?

> that's what I usually do with openoffice and similar apps when I do a
> "quick" update and fail to notice the large app in there..

Many thanks YoYo - this could save me a lot of time this afternoon!

--

Charles

Old 04-18-2010, 04:56 PM
YoYo siska

On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 04:59:07PM -0400, Tanstaafl wrote:
> Is there a way to emerge, say, system, but omit one package in it?
>
> For example, I've already recompiled gcc 4.3.4 with itself... is there a
> way to now do something like:
>
> emerge system -gcc (where '-gcc' serves to tell portage to compile
> everything *but* gcc)?
>
> Its not a big deal, I'm just curious...
>
> --
>
> Charles

You can do something like:

emerge -pe world | sed -e "/^.ebuild/ ! d; s/.*] /=/; s/ .*//; " > list

... edit "list" and remove anything you don't want to reinstall ...

emerge -av1 `cat list`

the -1 (or --oneshot), means that the packages won't be added to the world
file (they would normally because you are listing them all on the
commandline)

yoyo

Old 04-18-2010, 05:09 PM
YoYo siska

On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 12:52:26PM -0400, Tanstaafl wrote:
> On 2010-04-18 12:29 PM, YoYo siska wrote:
>
> >> Dang - I already started the emerge...
>
> > You can still break the emerge (for example with ctrl-c) when it
> > starts to emerge gcc, the continue the emerge process with emerge
> > --resume --skipfirst
>
> To clarify - I can do this with the currently running emerge (that did
> not specify --keep-going)?
>
> So, when it gets to gcc (its on package # 181 of 355 now, hasn't hit
> either of the gcc's or glibc yet), hit ctrl-c, then:
>
> emerge --resume --skipfirst
>
> ? Do I need to add the -ev world in there? Or does emerge just know
> where to pick up all by itself?

yes, it knows what the last emerge was, so you just say --resume
but if you do another emerge in between, it will forget the previous interrupted one

--resume just "resumes" the last interrupted (or failed) emerge , starting with the package that was interrupted,
so that you can fix the problem if it was a compilation failure, and then continue... no need to give
any special args to the first emerge.

--skipfirst makes it skip the first package - the one that was interrupted
handy when the emerge fails on a packages that isn't a depency of something other, you can just skip it then,
very much like a "manual" --keep-going

> This is good info to have.
>
> Also - is it ok to do this during the actual compile? Or do I need to
> catch it before the actual compiling starts?

you can break it whenever you want.. --resume than starts the package
again from beginning so you just "waste" the time/work it allready did...
which does not really matter if you are going to do --skipfirst

yoyo

Old 04-18-2010, 05:11 PM
Vincent Launchbury

On 04/18/10 11:00, Tanstaafl wrote:
> Crap, doesn't look like this will work...
>
> After masking gcc (and glibc - same argument there), I get:
>
> emerge -pev world

<snip>

> !!! All ebuilds that could satisfy "virtual/libc" have been masked.
> !!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your
> request:
> - sys-libs/glibc-2.11-r1 (masked by: package.mask, ~amd64 keyword)
> - sys-libs/glibc-2.11 (masked by: package.mask, ~amd64 keyword)
<snip>
> For more information, see the MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge
> man page or refer to the Gentoo Handbook.
>
> myhost : Sun Apr 18, 10:56:51 : ~
> #
>
> Any other ideas?

This is normal, it's informing you that those packages are masked, but
not actually blocking the other updates. If you do:

#emerge -e world -av

i.e ask instead of pretend, it will output those warnings, and then ask
you if you want to proceed with updating the rest. I'm using the
unstable portage, but I'm pretty sure it's worked like this for quite a
while on the stable branch too.

Good luck .

Old 04-18-2010, 05:25 PM
Tanstaafl

On 2010-04-18 1:11 PM, Vincent Launchbury wrote:
> On 04/18/10 11:00, Tanstaafl wrote:
>> Crap, doesn't look like this will work...
>>
>> After masking gcc (and glibc - same argument there), I get:
>>
>> emerge -pev world
>> <snip>
>>
>> !!! All ebuilds that could satisfy "virtual/libc" have been masked.
>> !!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your
>> request:
>> - sys-libs/glibc-2.11-r1 (masked by: package.mask, ~amd64 keyword)
>> - sys-libs/glibc-2.11 (masked by: package.mask, ~amd64 keyword)
>> <snip>
>> For more information, see the MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge
>> man page or refer to the Gentoo Handbook.
>>
>> myhost : Sun Apr 18, 10:56:51 : ~
>> #
>>
>> Any other ideas?

> This is normal, it's informing you that those packages are masked, but
> not actually blocking the other updates. If you do:
>
> #emerge -e world -av
>
> i.e ask instead of pretend, it will output those warnings, and then ask
> you if you want to proceed with updating the rest.

Well of all the... !

Thanks Vincent... I guess that makes sense. The way those errors were
formatted though, it resembled the [b] blocking errors I've encountered
in the past, so I thought it meant they needed to be fixed first...

Anyway, I learned a few things (--resume --skipfirst, how to output a
list of packages to a file then emerge them, etc), so it wasn't wasted
bandwidth, for me at least...

Thanks guys...

--

Charles

Old 04-18-2010, 05:58 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 11:00:40 -0400, Tanstaafl wrote:

> After masking gcc (and glibc - same argument there), I get:
>
> emerge -pev world
>
> <snip>
>
> Total: 351 packages (351 reinstalls), Size of downloads: 5 kB
> Portage tree and overlays:
> [0] /usr/portage
> [?] indicates that the source repository could not be determined
>
> !!! The following installed packages are masked:
> - sys-devel/gcc-4.1.2 (masked by: package.mask)
> - sys-libs/glibc-2.10.1-r1 (masked by: package.mask)
> - sys-devel/gcc-4.3.4 (masked by: package.mask)
> For more information, see the MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge
> man page or refer to the Gentoo Handbook.

You could put it in /etc/portage/profile/package.provided too, so the
system knows it is there. But what's the big deal anyway, you could have
re-emerge gcc tens of times over in the time this thread has been running.

It's not as though you can't use your computer for other things while gcc
is compiling.

--
Neil Bothwick

I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder.

Old 04-18-2010, 07:49 PM
Tanstaafl

On 2010-04-18 1:09 PM, YoYo siska wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 12:52:26PM -0400, Tanstaafl wrote:

>>> You can still break the emerge (for example with ctrl-c) when it
>>> starts to emerge gcc, the continue the emerge process with emerge
>>> --resume --skipfirst

Worked a treat, many thanks! Saved me at least an hour of compile time...

--

Charles

Old 04-18-2010, 07:54 PM
Tanstaafl

On 2010-04-18 3:49 PM, Tanstaafl wrote:
> On 2010-04-18 1:09 PM, YoYo siska wrote:

> Worked a treat, many thanks! Saved me at least an hour of compile time...

Hmmm... one last question...

Will etc-update still prompt for all necessary changes for config files
for *all* of the installs done, considering I did ctrl-c 3 times (glibc,
and both gcc's)?

--

Charles

Old 04-18-2010, 07:57 PM
YoYo siska

On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 03:54:38PM -0400, Tanstaafl wrote:
> On 2010-04-18 3:49 PM, Tanstaafl wrote:

> > Worked a treat, many thanks! Saved me at least an hour of compile time...
>
> Hmmm... one last question...
>
> Will etc-update still prompt for all necessary changes for config files
> for *all* of the installs done, considering I did ctrl-c 3 times (glibc,
> and both gcc's)?

yes, if new config files got installed, etc-update will show them
(I think it uses 'find' to find them

yoyo

Old 04-18-2010, 08:11 PM
Tanstaafl

On 2010-04-18 3:57 PM, YoYo siska wrote:
>> Will etc-update still prompt for all necessary changes for config
>> files for *all* of the installs done, considering I did ctrl-c 3
>> times (glibc, and both gcc's)?

> yes, if new config files got installed, etc-update will show them (I
> think it uses 'find' to find them

Yep, I posed the question before the last package was done, but then it
finished, and etc-update went smooth...

Thanks again... and I just read that gcc 4.5 just went gold, so I guess
it won't be all that long before 4.4 is stabilized and I'll have to do
some of this again - but at least I know I may not always have to emerge
-e system/world every time...

--

Charles