Old 04-19-2010, 11:27 AM
"Ciprian Dorin, Craciun"

Default initramfs & RAID at boot time

On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 11:16, Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 09:57:38 +0300, Ciprian Dorin, Craciun wrote:
>
>> * * Also a question for about /boot on RAID1... I didn't manage to
>> make it work... Could you Neil please tell me exactly how you did
>> this? I'm most interested in how you've convinced Grub to work...
>
> You just don't tell GRUB that it's working with one half of a RAID1
> array. Unlike all other RAID level, with 1 you can also access the
> individual disks.
>
> --
> Neil Bothwick

Well I've tried exactly that: I've aggregated two partitions in
RAID1, made the file system, then tried to install Grub on them (as in
run grub-setup or grub-install or grub and then from the shell the
setup)... And I didn't succeeded. I've tried the following:
* try to install Grub on the MD as it would have been a partition
-- failed (as expected as the MD device is not on a hard-drive);
* stopped the MD, and then tried to install grub on each partition
individually -- it worked to install, but from a reason I don't
remember right now it failed to boot;

So what intrigues me is how you've initialized the MBR, how you've
runned grub-setup?

(In the end I am more pleased with two boot partitions, as if I
miss-configure one, I'll have the other one to boot from. I've also
cross-referenced the grub menu to chain-load the other disk.)

Thanks,
Ciprian.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:51 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 14:27:15 +0300, Ciprian Dorin, Craciun wrote:

> Well I've tried exactly that: I've aggregated two partitions in
> RAID1, made the file system, then tried to install Grub on them (as in
> run grub-setup or grub-install or grub and then from the shell the
> setup)... And I didn't succeeded. I've tried the following:
> * try to install Grub on the MD as it would have been a partition
> -- failed (as expected as the MD device is not on a hard-drive);
> * stopped the MD, and then tried to install grub on each partition
> individually -- it worked to install, but from a reason I don't
> remember right now it failed to boot;
>
> So what intrigues me is how you've initialized the MBR, how you've
> runned grub-setup?

I don't use grub-setup, just run grub and do
root (hd0,4)
setup (hd0)
quit

and repeat for each disk.

--
Neil Bothwick

My friends went to alt.california, and all they brought
me was this lousy sig.