Old 04-16-2010, 12:20 PM
Mick

Default Setting up a fall back ISP SMTP in sendmail

Hi All,

Is there a (native) way to configure sendmail to send messages via a
secondary smtp account, if dor some reason the primary ISP smtp is
down, without some bespoke DIY script?
Mick

Old 04-16-2010, 11:51 PM
Harry Putnam

Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi All,
>
> Is there a (native) way to configure sendmail to send messages via a
> secondary smtp account, if dor some reason the primary ISP smtp is
> down, without some bespoke DIY script?

Not give you the runaround, and there may well be some sendmail
experts here... but I think your question is more likely to get a
really helpful response if you put it on comp.mail.sendmail.

You might get an answer from Per Hedlund or one of the other heavy
hitters there.

I've used sendmail for yrs but just on homeboy little local lans.

I'd be surprised if there is not some well trod way to do what you are
asking. Sendmail is probably the most widely used MTA around so it
seem really likely that problem has been dealt with in some way.

Old 04-17-2010, 09:33 AM
Mick

On Saturday 17 April 2010 00:51:39 Harry Putnam wrote:
> comp.mail.sendmail

Thank you Harry, I will. Just thought that there may be a Gentoo user who's
already tried this - plus this is my favorite list alright. ;-)
Mick

Old 04-17-2010, 12:01 PM
Mick

On Saturday 17 April 2010 00:51:39 Harry Putnam wrote:
> Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> writes:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Is there a (native) way to configure sendmail to send messages via a
> > secondary smtp account, if dor some reason the primary ISP smtp is
> > down, without some bespoke DIY script?
>
> Not give you the runaround, and there may well be some sendmail
> experts here... but I think your question is more likely to get a
> really helpful response if you put it on comp.mail.sendmail.
>
> You might get an answer from Per Hedlund or one of the other heavy
> hitters there.
>
> I've used sendmail for yrs but just on homeboy little local lans.
>
> I'd be surprised if there is not some well trod way to do what you are
> asking. Sendmail is probably the most widely used MTA around so it
> seem really likely that problem has been dealt with in some way.

For the purpose of posterity:

The way to set up a fall back host is to use confFALLBACK_SMARTHOST to define
a fall back smtp server.
Mick

Old 04-18-2010, 03:14 PM
Harry Putnam

Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> writes:

> For the purpose of posterity:
>
> The way to set up a fall back host is to use confFALLBACK_SMARTHOST to define
> a fall back smtp server.

Thanks Mick... Instead of asking for help, you ended up giving help.

Did someone answer your question privately?

Old 04-18-2010, 09:06 PM
Mick

On Sunday 18 April 2010 16:14:50 Harry Putnam wrote:
> Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> writes:
> > For the purpose of posterity:
> >
> > The way to set up a fall back host is to use confFALLBACK_SMARTHOST to
> > define a fall back smtp server.
>
> Thanks Mick... Instead of asking for help, you ended up giving help.
>
> Did someone answer your question privately?

No, I spent sometime on IRC #sendmail where I was given help and was pointed
to the manuals. Of course I was reminded that I do not understand sendmail
enough for my liking. :-p

Will need to read some more because there's things I can improve on my
configuration (although it currently works as is).
Mick

Old 04-18-2010, 10:27 PM
Peter Humphrey

On Sunday 18 April 2010 22:06:44 Mick wrote:

> I was reminded that I do not understand sendmail enough for my liking.

Does anybody?

--
Rgds
Peter.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:05 AM
Tanstaafl

On 2010-04-18 6:27 PM, Peter Humphrey wrote:
> On Sunday 18 April 2010 22:06:44 Mick wrote:
>
>> I was reminded that I do not understand sendmail enough for my liking.
>
> Does anybody?

<flame-protect>
That's why Wietse invented postfix.
</flame-protect>

--

Charles

Old 04-19-2010, 02:49 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2010-04-19, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@libertytrek.org> wrote:
> On 2010-04-18 6:27 PM, Peter Humphrey wrote:
>> On Sunday 18 April 2010 22:06:44 Mick wrote:
>>
>>> I was reminded that I do not understand sendmail enough for my liking.
>>
>> Does anybody?
>
><flame-protect>
> That's why Wietse invented postfix.
></flame-protect>

I gave up on sendmail about 12 years ago and switched to qmail and/or
postfix. I didn't know anybody was still using sendmail. Is it the
default MTA for any of the popular Linux distros?

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! I'm having a RELIGIOUS
at EXPERIENCE ... and I don't

Old 04-19-2010, 07:07 PM
Mick

On Monday 19 April 2010 15:49:34 Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2010-04-19, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@libertytrek.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> Does anybody?
> >
> ><flame-protect>
> > That's why Wietse invented postfix.
> ></flame-protect>
>
> I gave up on sendmail about 12 years ago and switched to qmail and/or
> postfix. I didn't know anybody was still using sendmail. Is it the
> default MTA for any of the popular Linux distros?

I am not sure if it is a default MTA but I have a CentOS server which comes
with it. I guess it's one of these masochistic things that either decide to
completely avoid learning (like emacs?!) or once you start you don't want to
let it beat you! :-))
Mick