Old 04-15-2010, 11:48 AM
Xi Shen

Default i cannot browser if the system is up too long

hi,

if you system is up for many days, sometimes i will not be able to
browser web site. but the BT download still works. i can also ping the
web site. i really have no idea how to troubleshoot this. even 'curl'
cannot get the web page. it feels like all tcp connections are
blocked.

my system is gentoo amd64, kde 4.4.

--
Best Regards,
David Shen

http://twitter.com/davidshen84/

Old 04-15-2010, 12:43 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

I get something like this, but just logging off and on again seems to fix it.* For me, anyway.***********
* it's 2x Xeon, Kde 4

if you system is up for many days, sometimes i will not be able to

browser web site. but the BT download still works. i can also ping the

web site. i really have no idea how to troubleshoot this. even 'curl'

cannot get the web page. it feels like all tcp connections are

blocked.

my system is gentoo amd64, kde 4.4.

--

Best Regards,

David Shen

http://twitter.com/davidshen84/

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 04-15-2010, 01:22 PM
Xi Shen

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 8:43 PM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@gmail.com> wrote:
> I get something like this, but just logging off and on again seems to fix
> it.* For me, anyway.
> * it's 2x Xeon, Kde 4

any idea what is the cause? this is really a annoying bug.

Old 04-15-2010, 06:55 PM
Stroller

if you system is up for many days, sometimes i will not be able to
browser web site. but the BT download still works. i can also ping the
web site. i really have no idea how to troubleshoot this. even 'curl'
cannot get the web page. it feels like all tcp connections are
blocked.

my system is gentoo amd64, kde 4.4.

How are you connecting to the net?

Are you sure this isn't the router? Have you tried switching it off
and back on again? (seriously)

There is a tendency in BitTorrent to fill up the NAT tables of routers
with insufficient RAM. I cannot explain why this would appear not to
affect ping.

Stroller.

Old 04-16-2010, 02:06 AM
Xi Shen

On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 2:55 AM, Stroller
<stroller@stellar.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:

> How are you connecting to the net?

yes, i connect to the net through a router. and i share the router
with my roommates.

> Are you sure this isn't the router? Have you tried switching it off and back
> on again? (seriously)

i do not think so. if it is the router has the problem, all people
using that router will suffer the same problem. but it is only me have
this problem.

> There is a tendency in BitTorrent to fill up the NAT tables of routers with
> insufficient RAM. I cannot explain why this would appear not to affect ping.

my BT client use a fix port to connect to the net, and i guess it
cannot configure the NAT table of the router.

Old 04-16-2010, 06:51 AM
"J. Roeleveld"

On Friday 16 April 2010 04:06:37 Xi Shen wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 2:55 AM, Stroller
>
> <stroller@stellar.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:
> > How are you connecting to the net?
>
> yes, i connect to the net through a router. and i share the router
> with my roommates.
>
> > Are you sure this isn't the router? Have you tried switching it off and
> > back on again? (seriously)
>
> i do not think so. if it is the router has the problem, all people
> using that router will suffer the same problem. but it is only me have
> this problem.

Not necessarily, it might have a limited NAT-table per host, rather then a
single one.

> > There is a tendency in BitTorrent to fill up the NAT tables of routers
> > with insufficient RAM. I cannot explain why this would appear not to
> > affect ping.
>
> my BT client use a fix port to connect to the net, and i guess it
> cannot configure the NAT table of the router.

The NAT-table is automatically filled with all the running connections to the
outside world.
This table is how the router keeps track of which packets need to be forwarded
to which machine behind the NAT-router.
Not all routers clear the cache quickly enough and most have a tendency to get
filled with these.

It's exactly because of this that I refuse to use a "plug-n-pray" router and
use a Linux box for this purpose.

I would still try Stroller's suggestion and turn the router off and on (But
leave your computer running). It will only affect the connection briefly and if
it resolves the issue, it will then be clear the problem is the router.
If the problem then still exists, the issue is somewhere else and we can try
to find it.

--
Joost

Old 04-19-2010, 02:17 AM
Xi Shen

thanks for your suggestion. i will try it.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:13 PM
Xi Shen

i met this issue today, and i have tried all your suggestions, restart
router, log off, restart my network interface. but none of this work.
i still cannot get http connections to work until i restarted my
system.