FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-12-2008, 04:46 PM
"Naiani Rosa de Barros"
 
Default TTF Fonts

Hi everyone.
I'd like to know if these instructions here
http://www.madeinclay.net/?p=8 are still valid for adding ttf fonts to
Gentoo. I don't remember what I did last time (more than 1 yr ago),
but I don't think it was the same procedure. The article on
Gentoo-Wiki seems outdated to me, so I'd appreciate if anyone could
tell me if this is the right way.

Thanks!

Naiani
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 01-12-2008, 06:35 PM
zou
 
Default TTF Fonts

I think you could do this right by adding the fonts to fonts:/// (or
something like this)


Naiani Rosa de Barros wrote:

Hi everyone.
I'd like to know if these instructions here
http://www.madeinclay.net/?p=8 are still valid for adding ttf fonts to
Gentoo. I don't remember what I did last time (more than 1 yr ago),
but I don't think it was the same procedure. The article on
Gentoo-Wiki seems outdated to me, so I'd appreciate if anyone could
tell me if this is the right way.

Thanks!

Naiani

--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 01-13-2008, 11:05 AM
Michal 'vorner' Vaner
 
Default TTF Fonts

Hello

On Sat, Jan 12, 2008 at 01:46:20PM -0400, Naiani Rosa de Barros wrote:
> Hi everyone.
> I'd like to know if these instructions here
> http://www.madeinclay.net/?p=8 are still valid for adding ttf fonts to
> Gentoo. I don't remember what I did last time (more than 1 yr ago),
> but I don't think it was the same procedure. The article on
> Gentoo-Wiki seems outdated to me, so I'd appreciate if anyone could
> tell me if this is the right way.

You can install many fonts by just emerging them.

--
Fragile. Do not turn umop ap1sdn!

Michal 'vorner' Vaner
 
Old 01-13-2008, 11:09 AM
"b.n."
 
Default TTF Fonts

zou ha scritto:
> I think you could do this right by adding the fonts to fonts:/// (or
> something like this)

More specifically, I usually install them via Konqueror:
- Start Konqueror
- Type fonts:// on the address bar
- Start another Konqueror window/tab and copy TTF files to the fonts://
window.

I am sincerely extremly ignorant about what does this mean system wise
(but it works), so if someoen can enlighten us I'd be happy.

m.
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 01-13-2008, 02:00 PM
"Naiani Rosa de Barros"
 
Default TTF Fonts

Well, the location fonts:/// does not exist on Xfce, so the
installation has to be manual.
I ended up finding this other article on Gentoo-Wiki,
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_XFS_and_Custom_Fonts , which works well.
The only thing I don't like is having to run ttmkfdir > fonts.scale,
mkfontdir, /etc/init.d/xfs restart everytime I want to add a new font.
But I guess it's a small price to pay.
Thank you guys!

Naiani

On Jan 13, 2008 8:05 AM, Michal 'vorner' Vaner <vorner@ucw.cz> wrote:
> Hello
>
>
> On Sat, Jan 12, 2008 at 01:46:20PM -0400, Naiani Rosa de Barros wrote:
> > Hi everyone.
> > I'd like to know if these instructions here
> > http://www.madeinclay.net/?p=8 are still valid for adding ttf fonts to
> > Gentoo. I don't remember what I did last time (more than 1 yr ago),
> > but I don't think it was the same procedure. The article on
> > Gentoo-Wiki seems outdated to me, so I'd appreciate if anyone could
> > tell me if this is the right way.
>
> You can install many fonts by just emerging them.
>
> --
> Fragile. Do not turn umop ap1sdn!
>
> Michal 'vorner' Vaner
>
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 01-13-2008, 02:26 PM
Jesús Guerrero
 
Default TTF Fonts

On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 13:46:20 -0400
"Naiani Rosa de Barros" <naiani.princess@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone.
> I'd like to know if these instructions here
> http://www.madeinclay.net/?p=8 are still valid for adding ttf fonts to
> Gentoo. I don't remember what I did last time (more than 1 yr ago),
> but I don't think it was the same procedure. The article on
> Gentoo-Wiki seems outdated to me, so I'd appreciate if anyone could
> tell me if this is the right way.

I just emerge them. If I need to install any font just for an user,
I just put it into ~/.fonts/.

--
Jesús Guerrero <i92guboj@terra.es>
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 01-13-2008, 02:27 PM
Jesús Guerrero
 
Default TTF Fonts

On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 13:09:39 +0100
"b.n." <brullonulla@gmail.com> wrote:

> zou ha scritto:
> > I think you could do this right by adding the fonts to fonts:/// (or
> > something like this)
>
> More specifically, I usually install them via Konqueror:
> - Start Konqueror
> - Type fonts:// on the address bar
> - Start another Konqueror window/tab and copy TTF files to the fonts://
> window.
>
> I am sincerely extremly ignorant about what does this mean system wise
> (but it works), so if someoen can enlighten us I'd be happy.

On a previous level of this thread I tell how to install fonts for
just the current user: you put them into ~/.fonts/

What konqueror does is the same thing, but hidding the concrete details
to the user (that is what kio-slaves are all about: abstraction, which
can be good or bad, as you can see now).
--
Jesús Guerrero <i92guboj@terra.es>
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 01-13-2008, 02:33 PM
Jesús Guerrero
 
Default TTF Fonts

On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 11:00:57 -0400
"Naiani Rosa de Barros" <naiani.princess@gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, the location fonts:/// does not exist on Xfce, so the
> installation has to be manual.
> I ended up finding this other article on Gentoo-Wiki,
> http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_XFS_and_Custom_Fonts , which works well.
> The only thing I don't like is having to run ttmkfdir > fonts.scale,
> mkfontdir, /etc/init.d/xfs restart everytime I want to add a new font.
> But I guess it's a small price to pay.
> Thank you guys!
>

You usually don't need to. Kde should pick the fonts just the same
moment you install them. Other X programs need a re-building of the
font cache. That is done when X is restarted, but you can also do it
manually on a term with something like this:

xset fp rehash

That will re-read all the font dirs (the default gentoo configuration
include system dirs and also local dirs, like ~/.fonts/). If you want
to add a font path, you need to issue this other command before the
one above:

xset +fp /new/path
of
xset fp+ /new/path

To prepend or append a new path, then rehash it as shown above.

The xfs solution is something that is mostly deprecated, and it is a
resource waste and a completely useless thing on a desktop machine. I
don't recommend the xfs stuff at all.
--
Jesús Guerrero <i92guboj@terra.es>
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 01-13-2008, 09:24 PM
"Naiani Rosa de Barros"
 
Default TTF Fonts

On Jan 13, 2008 11:33 AM, Jesús Guerrero <i92guboj@terra.es> wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 11:00:57 -0400
> "Naiani Rosa de Barros" <naiani.princess@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Well, the location fonts:/// does not exist on Xfce, so the
> > installation has to be manual.
> > I ended up finding this other article on Gentoo-Wiki,
> > http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_XFS_and_Custom_Fonts , which works well.
> > The only thing I don't like is having to run ttmkfdir > fonts.scale,
> > mkfontdir, /etc/init.d/xfs restart everytime I want to add a new font.
> > But I guess it's a small price to pay.
> > Thank you guys!
> >
>
> You usually don't need to. Kde should pick the fonts just the same
> moment you install them. Other X programs need a re-building of the
> font cache. That is done when X is restarted, but you can also do it
> manually on a term with something like this:
>
> xset fp rehash
>
> That will re-read all the font dirs (the default gentoo configuration
> include system dirs and also local dirs, like ~/.fonts/). If you want
> to add a font path, you need to issue this other command before the
> one above:
>
> xset +fp /new/path
> of
> xset fp+ /new/path
>
> To prepend or append a new path, then rehash it as shown above.
>
> The xfs solution is something that is mostly deprecated, and it is a
> resource waste and a completely useless thing on a desktop machine. I
> don't recommend the xfs stuff at all.
>
> --
> Jesús Guerrero <i92guboj@terra.es>
> --
> gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
>
>

Thanks for the tip, I didn't know xfs was deprecated. I used this
solution because it was the only one I could find. Xfce doesn't have a
font utility, so I need to do it manually. I'll try this other way and
see what I can get.

Naiani
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 01-13-2008, 11:30 PM
"b.n."
 
Default TTF Fonts

Jesús Guerrero ha scritto:

> On a previous level of this thread I tell how to install fonts for
> just the current user: you put them into ~/.fonts/
>
> What konqueror does is the same thing, but hidding the concrete details
> to the user (that is what kio-slaves are all about: abstraction, which
> can be good or bad, as you can see now).

Excellent, thank you.
I like abstraction, but I also like to know what's behind. Now I can
still use my Konqueror comfortably, but aware. Thanks.

m.
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:56 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org