Old 04-05-2010, 03:15 AM

Default ZSH: Gentoo-completion...how to modifiy?

Hi,

adding Gentoo/emerge related stuff to the completion system of the zsh
is nice...but getting a dark blue color for parts of the prompt with
that is not.

Where can I tuirn what to modifiy the color or get back my previous
prompt?

Best regards,
mcc

Old 04-19-2010, 11:34 AM
Gregory SACRE

Hi,

You have 2 choices here.

1. You can change the default terminal colours in you .Xdefaults.

As an example, for rxvt-unicode (a.k.a. urxvt), you can put this in
you .Xdefaults:

! tangoesque scheme
urxvt*background: #111111
urxvt*foreground: #babdb6
! Black (not tango) + DarkGrey
urxvt*color0: #000000
urxvt*color8: #555753
! DarkRed + Red
urxvt*color1: #ff6565
urxvt*color9: #ff8d8d
! DarkGreen + Green
urxvt*color2: #93d44f
urxvt*color10: #c8e7a8
! DarkYellow + Yellow
urxvt*color3: #eab93d
urxvt*color11: #ffc123
! DarkBlue + Blue
urxvt*color4: #204a87
urxvt*color12: #3465a4
! DarkMangenta + Mangenta
urxvt*color5: #ce5c00
urxvt*color13: #f57900
!DarkCyan + Cyan (both not tango)
urxvt*color6: #89b6e2
urxvt*color14: #46a4ff
! LightGrey + White
urxvt*color7: #cccccc
urxvt*color15: #ffffff

(This was taken from
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xdefaults#Terminal_colors, but you
can find example all around).

I suggest you also to check what colour it outputs by using simple
tools like gcolor2 and if you don't like how they go, just change them
or check another "theme" somewhere. I would advise you to keep the
"type" of colours as such: meaning if you want to change the dark
yellow and the bright yellow, keep them in the yellow range. Maybe
make them a less coloured yellow or more orange-ish, but don't make
them green.
Programs rely on these 16 colours for their output, at least the
numbers, and you could end up with something unreadable (as you
suggest in your mail).

2. change your PS1 variable (maybe the easiest)

Do "echo $PS1" in a terminal, and see where the faulty colour is.
Then, change it in your .zshrc file.
You can also check this page
(http://stevelosh.com/blog/2010/02/my-extravagant-zsh-prompt/) or this
one (http://aperiodic.net/phil/prompt/) to get an idea of what you