Old 03-30-2010, 01:19 AM
Dale

Default Can't get a DVD to burn.

Hi,

I been using k3b, it has been a while tho, and now it won't burn a DVD.
It's not a ISO, it just contains a backup tarball. This is the
"debugging" output.

Burned media

-----------------------

DVD+RW

Devices

-----------------------

Optiarc DVD RW AD-7200A 1.05 (/dev/hdd, CD-R, CD-RW, CD-ROM, DVD-ROM,
DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD-R DL, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD+R DL) [DVD-ROM, DVD-R
Sequential, DVD-R Dual Layer Sequential, DVD-R Dual Layer Jump, DVD-RAM,
DVD-RW Restricted Overwrite, DVD-RW Sequential, DVD+RW, DVD+R, DVD+R
Dual Layer, CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW] [SAO, TAO, RAW, SAO/R96P, SAO/R96R,
RAW/R16, RAW/R96P, RAW/R96R, Restricted Overwrite, Layer Jump] [%7]

K3b::IsoImager

-----------------------

mkisofs print size result: 2097493 (4295665664 bytes)

System

-----------------------

K3b Version: 1.91.0

KDE Version: 4.4.1 (KDE 4.4.1)

QT Version: 4.6.2

Kernel: 2.6.30-gentoo-r8

Used versions

-----------------------

mkisofs: 2.1.1a77

growisofs: 7.1

growisofs

-----------------------

WARNING: /dev/hdd already carries isofs!

About to execute 'builtin_dd if=/dev/fd/0 of=/dev/hdd obs=32k seek=0'

/dev/hdd: "Current Write Speed" is 4.1x1352KBps.

0/4295665664 ( 0.0%) @0x, remaining ??:?? RBU 100.0% UBU 0.0%

=== last message repeated 4 times. ===

:-[ WRITE@LBA=0h failed with SK=3h/POWER CALIBRATION AREA ERROR]:
Input/output error

:-( write failed: Input/output error

growisofs command:

-----------------------

/usr/bin/growisofs -Z /dev/hdd=/dev/fd/0 -use-the-force-luke=notray
-use-the-force-luke=tty -use-the-force-luke=4gms
-use-the-force-luke=tracksize:2097493 -speed=4
-use-the-force-luke=bufsize:32m

mkisofs

-----------------------

2097493

/usr/bin/mkisofs: Warning: Cannot add inode hints with -no-cache-inodes.

=== last message repeated 2 times. ===

0.02% done, estimate finish Mon Mar 29 20:09:24 2010

0.05% done, estimate finish Mon Mar 29 20:09:24 2010

0.07% done, estimate finish Mon Mar 29 20:32:37 2010

0.10% done, estimate finish Mon Mar 29 20:26:52 2010

0.12% done, estimate finish Mon Mar 29 20:23:18 2010

0.14% done, estimate finish Mon Mar 29 20:21:01 2010

0.17% done, estimate finish Mon Mar 29 20:19:22 2010

0.19% done, estimate finish Mon Mar 29 20:18:08 2010

0.22% done, estimate finish Mon Mar 29 20:17:08 2010

0.24% done, estimate finish Mon Mar 29 20:16:22 2010

0.26% done, estimate finish Mon Mar 29 20:15:45 2010

0.29% done, estimate finish Mon Mar 29 20:15:13 2010

0.31% done, estimate finish Mon Mar 29 20:14:46 2010

0.33% done, estimate finish Mon Mar 29 20:14:23 2010

0.36% done, estimate finish Mon Mar 29 20:14:03 2010

0.38% done, estimate finish Mon Mar 29 20:13:46 2010

0.41% done, estimate finish Mon Mar 29 20:13:30 2010

0.43% done, estimate finish Mon Mar 29 20:13:16 2010

0.45% done, estimate finish Mon Mar 29 20:13:04 2010

0.48% done, estimate finish Mon Mar 29 20:12:53 2010

0.50% done, estimate finish Mon Mar 29 20:12:43 2010

0.52% done, estimate finish Mon Mar 29 20:12:34 2010

0.55% done, estimate finish Mon Mar 29 20:12:26 2010

0.57% done, estimate finish Mon Mar 29 20:12:18 2010

0.60% done, estimate finish Mon Mar 29 20:12:11 2010

0.62% done, estimate finish Mon Mar 29 20:12:05 2010

0.64% done, estimate finish Mon Mar 29 20:11:59 2010

0.67% done, estimate finish Mon Mar 29 20:11:53 2010

0.69% done, estimate finish Mon Mar 29 20:11:48 2010

0.72% done, estimate finish Mon Mar 29 20:11:43 2010

0.74% done, estimate finish Mon Mar 29 20:11:39 2010

0.76% done, estimate finish Mon Mar 29 20:11:35 2010

mkisofs calculate size command:

-----------------------

/usr/bin/mkisofs -gui -graft-points -print-size -quiet -volid
Data_2010.03.29-01.38.44_5 -volset -appid K3B THE CD KREATOR (C)
1998-2010 SEBASTIAN TRUEG AND MICHAL MALEK -publisher -preparer -sysid
LINUX -volset-size 1 -volset-seqno 1 -sort /tmp/kde-dale/k3bZc8327.tmp
-rational-rock -hide-list /tmp/kde-dale/k3bfH8327.tmp -joliet
-joliet-long -hide-joliet-list /tmp/kde-dale/k3bdC8327.tmp
-no-cache-inodes -udf -full-iso9660-filenames -iso-level 3 -path-list
/tmp/kde-dale/k3bck8327.tmp

mkisofs command:

-----------------------

/usr/bin/mkisofs -gui -graft-points -volid Data_2010.03.29-01.38.44_5
-volset -appid K3B THE CD KREATOR (C) 1998-2010 SEBASTIAN TRUEG AND
MICHAL MALEK -publisher -preparer -sysid LINUX -volset-size 1
-volset-seqno 1 -sort /tmp/kde-dale/k3biU8327.tmp -rational-rock
-hide-list /tmp/kde-dale/k3bVB8327.tmp -joliet -joliet-long
-hide-joliet-list /tmp/kde-dale/k3bAn8327.tmp -no-cache-inodes -udf
-full-iso9660-filenames -iso-level 3 -path-list /tmp/kde-dale/k3bEN8327.tmp

I also tried to burn this with tkdvd but it failed too. I don't think
the media is bad. It doesn't appear to be k3b since the other program
fails too. I also updated to the latest testing but no difference that
I can see. It does sometimes burn and sometimes if I try again it will
burn but it's not getting any better.

In the regular burning box, it says that mkisofs has crashed. That part
is consistent. If it fails, that is the short version of the error.

Ideas? Where is our DVD expert? I need help. :-)

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 03-30-2010, 07:39 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 20:19:02 -0500, Dale wrote:

> I also tried to burn this with tkdvd but it failed too. I don't think
> the media is bad. It doesn't appear to be k3b since the other program
> fails too. I also updated to the latest testing but no
> difference that I can see. It does sometimes burn and sometimes if I
> try again it will burn but it's not getting any better.

K3b is running mkisofs and growisofs at the same time, hence the mixed up
debug output making it hard to see where the error is coming from. Take
the media, drive and growisofs out of the equation by getting K3b to
create an ISO image instead. If that works, write the image to disc with

growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd=/path/to/file.iso

At least you'll have a better idea where the problem lies.

--
Neil Bothwick

Does someone know the cheats for WindowsXP?

Old 03-30-2010, 02:53 PM
stosss

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 3:39 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 20:19:02 -0500, Dale wrote:
>
>> I also tried to burn this with tkdvd but it failed too. *I don't think
>> the media is bad. *It doesn't appear to be k3b since the other program
>> fails too. *I also updated to the latest testing but no
>> difference that I can see. *It does sometimes burn and sometimes if I
>> try again it will burn but it's not getting any better.
>
> K3b is running mkisofs and growisofs at the same time, hence the mixed up
> debug output making it hard to see where the error is coming from. Take
> the media, drive and growisofs out of the equation by getting K3b to
> create an ISO image instead. If that works, write the image to disc with
>
> growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd=/path/to/file.iso
>
> At least you'll have a better idea where the problem lies.

I once had a problem just like this and it turned out to be bad media.
The generic cheap priced discs don't always work. The more expensive
name brand generally are better because most, if not all of them,
work.

--
If we can but prevent the government from wasting the labours of the
people, under the pretence of taking care of them, they must become

Old 03-30-2010, 03:54 PM
Dale

stosss wrote:

[...]

I doubt it is the media. I have been using the same brand, Verbatim,
for ages and never had a failure. It's even coming from the same box
and is media that I have used for a previous backup with no issues.
Each time I have problems burning a DVD, it is something software. I
stay away from the really cheap junk. I learned that from the problems
people on this list have reported.

While it could be possible, it's not likely.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 03-30-2010, 04:00 PM
Dale

Neil Bothwick wrote:

I also tried to burn this with tkdvd but it failed too. I don't think
the media is bad. It doesn't appear to be k3b since the other program
fails too. I also updated to the latest testing but no
difference that I can see. It does sometimes burn and sometimes if I
try again it will burn but it's not getting any better.

K3b is running mkisofs and growisofs at the same time, hence the mixed up
debug output making it hard to see where the error is coming from. Take
the media, drive and growisofs out of the equation by getting K3b to
create an ISO image instead. If that works, write the image to disc with

growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd=/path/to/file.iso

At least you'll have a better idea where the problem lies.

Could I just get rid of one of the programs or are they all part of the
same package? I suspect a mismatch of package versions which is why I
went unstable with k3b and cdrtools.

It is odd that it is trying to run two programs at the same time tho.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 03-30-2010, 04:05 PM
Paul Hartman

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 11:00 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
> Neil Bothwick wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 20:19:02 -0500, Dale wrote:
>>

>>> I also tried to burn this with tkdvd but it failed too. I don't think
>>> the media is bad. It doesn't appear to be k3b since the other program
>>> fails too. I also updated to the latest testing but no
>>> difference that I can see. It does sometimes burn and sometimes if I
>>> try again it will burn but it's not getting any better.
>>>

>> K3b is running mkisofs and growisofs at the same time, hence the mixed up
>> debug output making it hard to see where the error is coming from. Take
>> the media, drive and growisofs out of the equation by getting K3b to
>> create an ISO image instead. If that works, write the image to disc with
>>
>> growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd=/path/to/file.iso
>>
>> At least you'll have a better idea where the problem lies.
>>

> Could I just get rid of one of the programs or are they all part of the same
> package? I suspect a mismatch of package versions which is why I went
> unstable with k3b and cdrtools.
>
> It is odd that it is trying to run two programs at the same time tho.

My money is on a dying DVD burner/laser...

Old 03-30-2010, 04:22 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 11:00:06 -0500, Dale wrote:

> > K3b is running mkisofs and growisofs at the same time, hence the
> > mixed up debug output making it hard to see where the error is coming
> > from. Take the media, drive and growisofs out of the equation by
> > getting K3b to create an ISO image instead. If that works, write the
> > image to disc with
> >
> > growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd=/path/to/file.iso
> >
> > At least you'll have a better idea where the problem lies.
> >

> Could I just get rid of one of the programs or are they all part of the
> same package? I suspect a mismatch of package versions which is why I
> went unstable with k3b and cdrtools.
>
> It is odd that it is trying to run two programs at the same time tho.

Not really, mkisofs is creating the ISO data and growisofs is writing it
to the disc. Basically, the output of mkisofs is piped through growisofs
to the disc. The alternative is to write an ISO image file and then burn
it to disc, which is slower but what I suggested to see where the problem
lies.

--
Neil Bothwick

why do kamikazee pilots wear helmets?

Old 03-30-2010, 05:00 PM
Dale

Neil Bothwick wrote:

[...]

OK. I went back to k3b and tried to burn a Gentoo install disc which is
a iso image. This is what it gives when I do that.

Devices
-----------------------
Optiarc DVD RW AD-7200A 1.05 (/dev/hdd, CD-R, CD-RW, CD-ROM, DVD-ROM,
DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD-R DL, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD+R DL) [DVD-ROM, DVD-R
Sequential, DVD-R Dual Layer Sequential, DVD-R Dual Layer Jump, DVD-RAM,
DVD-RW Restricted Overwrite, DVD-RW Sequential, DVD+RW, DVD+R, DVD+R
Dual Layer, CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW] [SAO, TAO, RAW, SAO/R96P, SAO/R96R,
RAW/R16, RAW/R96P, RAW/R96R, Restricted Overwrite, Layer Jump] [%7]

System
-----------------------
K3b Version: 1.91.0
KDE Version: 4.4.1 (KDE 4.4.1)
QT Version: 4.6.2
Kernel: 2.6.30-gentoo-r8

Used versions
-----------------------
cdrecord: 2.1.1a77

cdrecord
-----------------------
scsidev: '/dev/hdd'
devname: '/dev/hdd'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
Warning: Open by 'devname' is unintentional and not supported.
Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27
SCSI buffer size: 64512
/usr/bin/cdrecord: Warning: Cannot read drive buffer.
/usr/bin/cdrecord: Warning: The DMA speed test has been skipped.
Cdrecord-ProDVD-ProBD-Clone 2.01.01a77 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C)
1995-2010 Jörg Schilling

TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
Using libscg version 'schily-0.9'.
Driveropts: 'burnfree'
atapi: 1
Device type : Removable CD-ROM
Version : 0
Response Format: 2
Capabilities :
Vendor_info : 'Optiarc '
Identifikation : 'DVD RW AD-7200A '
Revision : '1.05'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW/DVD-RAM.
Current: DVD+RW
Profile: DVD+R/DL
Profile: DVD+R
Profile: DVD+RW (current)
Profile: DVD-R/DL layer jump recording
Profile: DVD-R/DL sequential recording
Profile: DVD-RW sequential recording
Profile: DVD-RW restricted overwrite
Profile: DVD-RAM
Profile: DVD-R sequential recording
Profile: DVD-ROM
Profile: CD-RW
Profile: CD-R
Profile: CD-ROM
Profile: Removable Disk
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc-3 DVD+RW driver (mmc_dvdplusrw).
Driver flags : NO-CD DVD MMC-3 SWABAUDIO BURNFREE
Supported modes: PACKET SAO LAYER_JUMP
Drive buf size : 1245184 = 1216 KB
FIFO size : 4194304 = 4096 KB
Track 01: data 2591 MB
Total size: 2591 MB = 1326592 sectors
Current Secsize: 2048
Trying to clear drive status.
Blocks total: 2295104 Blocks current: 2295104 Blocks remaining: 968512
Reducing transfer size from 64512 to 32768 bytes.
Starting to write CD/DVD/BD at speed 4 in real SAO mode for single session.
Last chance to quit, starting real write in 3 seconds.
2 seconds.
1 seconds.
0 seconds. Operation starts.
Waiting for reader process to fill input buffer ... input buffer ready.
Starting new track at sector: 0
Track 02: 0 of 2591 MB written.
/usr/bin/cdrecord: Success. write_g1: scsi sendcmd: no error
CDB: 2A 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 10 00
status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
Sense Bytes: 70 00 03 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 73 03 00 00
Sense Key: 0x3 Medium Error, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x73 Qual 0x03 (power calibration area error) Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
resid: 32768
cmd finished after 17.339s timeout 200s
/usr/bin/cdrecord: A write error occured.
/usr/bin/cdrecord: Please properly read the error message above.
write track data: error after 0 bytes
Writing time: 22.358s
Average write speed 87.7x.
Fixating...
Fixating time: 0.003s
/usr/bin/cdrecord: fifo had 128 puts and 1 gets.
/usr/bin/cdrecord: fifo was 0 times empty and 0 times full, min fill was
100%.

BURN-Free was not used.

cdrecord command:
-----------------------
/usr/bin/cdrecord -v gracetime=2 dev=/dev/hdd speed=4 -sao
driveropts=burnfree -data -tsize=1326592s -

This appears to be using cdrecord. Any ideas? Should I shoot it? lol

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 03-30-2010, 05:52 PM
Dale

Dale wrote:

OK. I went back to k3b and tried to burn a Gentoo install disc which
is a iso image. This is what it gives when I do that.

< SNIP >

This appears to be using cdrecord. Any ideas? Should I shoot it? lol

Dale

:-) :-)

OK. I thought I would try some different versions of software and see
what happens. With the info Neil provided about what does what, I
thought I would try a different version of cdrtools. I went to a older
version and it worked fine on the first try with my backup file. It is
as I type burning the second DVD with no errors yet. I'm using
cdrtools-2.01.01_alpha57-r1 at the moment. Maybe this will work.

Dale

:-) :-)

P. S. Watch it blow a gasket on the next burn. ;-)

Old 03-30-2010, 08:06 PM
Dale

Dale wrote:

Dale wrote:

OK. I went back to k3b and tried to burn a Gentoo install disc which
is a iso image. This is what it gives when I do that.

< SNIP >

This appears to be using cdrecord. Any ideas? Should I shoot it? lol

Dale

:-) :-)

OK. I thought I would try some different versions of software and see
what happens. With the info Neil provided about what does what, I
thought I would try a different version of cdrtools. I went to a
older version and it worked fine on the first try with my backup
file. It is as I type burning the second DVD with no errors yet. I'm
using cdrtools-2.01.01_alpha57-r1 at the moment. Maybe this will work.

Dale

:-) :-)

P. S. Watch it blow a gasket on the next burn. ;-)

This is hopefully the last update. I have now burned several DVDs,
including the ones that failed earlier, with no errors at all. I guess
the newer version of cdrtools has some issues which may be why it is not
in stable yet. ;-)

I hope the DVD guru saw this and the error just in case he sees what
needs fixing. Maybe he is on vacation or something. :-)

Thanks for the pointer Neil. It got me fixed in the end.

Dale

:-) :-)