Old 04-20-2010, 01:14 PM

Default Can't get a DVD to burn.

Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:

> Used versions
> -----------------------
> mkisofs: 2.1.1a77
> growisofs: 7.1
>
> growisofs command:
> -----------------------
> /usr/bin/growisofs -Z /dev/hdd=/dev/fd/0 -use-the-force-luke=notray
> -use-the-force-luke=tty -use-the-force-luke=4gms
> -use-the-force-luke=tracksize:2295193 -speed=4
> -use-the-force-luke=bufsize:32m

Well, if your problems are a result from using growisofs, use cdrecord instead
of growisofs...

Jörg

js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)

Old 04-20-2010, 03:01 PM
Paul Hartman

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 8:44 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
> /usr/bin/growisofs -Z /dev/hdd=/dev/fd/0

This part jumps out at me.

Is /dev/hdd your new DVD burner? Is it really IDE and not SATA?

And isn't /dev/fd/0 a floppy device? Are you burning from a floppy to
an IDE drive?

Old 04-20-2010, 03:38 PM

Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 8:44 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
> > /usr/bin/growisofs -Z /dev/hdd=/dev/fd/0
>
> This part jumps out at me.
>
> Is /dev/hdd your new DVD burner? Is it really IDE and not SATA?
>
> And isn't /dev/fd/0 a floppy device? Are you burning from a floppy to
> an IDE drive?

/dev/fd/0 is /dev/stdin

Jörg

js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)

Old 04-20-2010, 03:45 PM
Paul Hartman

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 10:38 AM, Joerg Schilling
<Joerg.Schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de> wrote:
> Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 8:44 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > /usr/bin/growisofs -Z /dev/hdd=/dev/fd/0
>>
>> This part jumps out at me.
>>
>> Is /dev/hdd your new DVD burner? Is it really IDE and not SATA?
>>
>> And isn't /dev/fd/0 a floppy device? Are you burning from a floppy to
>> an IDE drive?
>
> /dev/fd/0 is /dev/stdin

I learned something new, thanks

Old 04-20-2010, 04:08 PM
Mike Edenfield

On 4/20/2010 11:01 AM, Paul Hartman wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 8:44 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
>> /usr/bin/growisofs -Z /dev/hdd=/dev/fd/0

> And isn't /dev/fd/0 a floppy device? Are you burning from a floppy to
> an IDE drive?

/dev/fd0 is a floppy. /dev/fd/0 is file descriptor 0 for the current
process -- stdin.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:27 PM
Dale

Joerg Schilling wrote:

Dale<rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:

Used versions
-----------------------
mkisofs: 2.1.1a77
growisofs: 7.1

growisofs command:
-----------------------
/usr/bin/growisofs -Z /dev/hdd=/dev/fd/0 -use-the-force-luke=notray
-use-the-force-luke=tty -use-the-force-luke=4gms
-use-the-force-luke=tracksize:2295193 -speed=4
-use-the-force-luke=bufsize:32m

Well, if your problems are a result from using growisofs, use cdrecord instead
of growisofs...

Jörg

Well, I didn't tell it to use that either. I let k3b take care of what
program to use. Funny thing is, it appears to have worked later on.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 04-20-2010, 07:58 PM

Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> -----------------------
> >> /usr/bin/growisofs -Z /dev/hdd=/dev/fd/0 -use-the-force-luke=notray
> >> -use-the-force-luke=tty -use-the-force-luke=4gms
> >> -use-the-force-luke=tracksize:2295193 -speed=4
> >> -use-the-force-luke=bufsize:32m
> >>
> > Well, if your problems are a result from using growisofs, use cdrecord instead
> > of growisofs...
> >
> > Jörg
> >

> Well, I didn't tell it to use that either. I let k3b take care of what
> program to use. Funny thing is, it appears to have worked later on.

There are many cases where growisofs has problems but cdrecord works fine.
This is one reason why newer k3b versions allow you to specify which program
to use.

Jörg

js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)

Old 04-20-2010, 09:16 PM
Willie Wong

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 10:45:27AM -0500, Paul Hartman wrote:
> > /dev/fd/0 is /dev/stdin
>
> I learned something new, thanks

To complete your education fd stands for file descriptor.

fd/0 = stdin
fd/1 = stdout
fd/2 = stderr

You can create your own file descriptors and use them to manipulate
opened files. See man bash for more info. (It is, for example,
necessary if you do CLI scripting with a user interface using Dialog.)

Cheers,

Willie W. Wong wwong@math.princeton.edu
et vice versa ~~~ I. Newton

Old 04-20-2010, 09:19 PM
Dale

Joerg Schilling wrote:

Dale<rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:

-----------------------
/usr/bin/growisofs -Z /dev/hdd=/dev/fd/0 -use-the-force-luke=notray
-use-the-force-luke=tty -use-the-force-luke=4gms
-use-the-force-luke=tracksize:2295193 -speed=4
-use-the-force-luke=bufsize:32m

Well, if your problems are a result from using growisofs, use cdrecord instead
of growisofs...

Jörg

Well, I didn't tell it to use that either. I let k3b take care of what
program to use. Funny thing is, it appears to have worked later on.

There are many cases where growisofs has problems but cdrecord works fine.
This is one reason why newer k3b versions allow you to specify which program
to use.

Jörg

It took me a bit to figure it out but I think I have it disabled now. I
saw the list but didn't know I could disable anything in the list. I'll
test when making my next set of backups.

Dale

:-) :-)