Old 04-01-2010, 10:06 AM

Default Can't get a DVD to burn.

Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:

> I see your points but it just finished burning about 6 more very full
> DVDs with not one single error. They burned with no prompts other than
> the usual things it does to confirm what I am doing, such as overwriting
> a DVD with data on it. Since it was failing basically every time
> before and has not failed since downgrading cdrtools, it appears not to
> be hardware but a software issue. I guess I could install the newer

There is definitely no software issue with cdrecord.

Jörg

js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)

Old 04-01-2010, 10:43 AM
Dale

Joerg Schilling wrote:

Dale<rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:

Used versions
-----------------------
cdrecord: 2.1.1a77

cdrecord
-----------------------
scsidev: '/dev/hdd'
devname: '/dev/hdd'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
Warning: Open by 'devname' is unintentional and not supported.
Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27
SCSI buffer size: 64512
/usr/bin/cdrecord: Warning: Cannot read drive buffer.
/usr/bin/cdrecord: Warning: The DMA speed test has been skipped.
Cdrecord-ProDVD-ProBD-Clone 2.01.01a77 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C)
1995-2010 JÃ?rg Schilling
TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
Using libscg version 'schily-0.9'.
Driveropts: 'burnfree'
atapi: 1
Device type : Removable CD-ROM
Version : 0
Response Format: 2
Capabilities :
Vendor_info : 'Optiarc '
Identifikation : 'DVD RW AD-7200A '
Revision : '1.05'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW/DVD-RAM.
Current: DVD+RW
Profile: DVD+R/DL
Profile: DVD+R
Profile: DVD+RW (current)
Profile: DVD-R/DL layer jump recording
Profile: DVD-R/DL sequential recording
Profile: DVD-RW sequential recording
Profile: DVD-RW restricted overwrite
Profile: DVD-RAM
Profile: DVD-R sequential recording
Profile: DVD-ROM
Profile: CD-RW
Profile: CD-R
Profile: CD-ROM
Profile: Removable Disk
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc-3 DVD+RW driver (mmc_dvdplusrw).
Driver flags : NO-CD DVD MMC-3 SWABAUDIO BURNFREE
Supported modes: PACKET SAO LAYER_JUMP
Drive buf size : 1245184 = 1216 KB
FIFO size : 4194304 = 4096 KB
Track 01: data 2591 MB
Total size: 2591 MB = 1326592 sectors
Current Secsize: 2048
Trying to clear drive status.
Blocks total: 2295104 Blocks current: 2295104 Blocks remaining: 968512
Reducing transfer size from 64512 to 32768 bytes.
Starting to write CD/DVD/BD at speed 4 in real SAO mode for single session.
Last chance to quit, starting real write in 3 seconds.
2 seconds.
1 seconds.
0 seconds. Operation starts.
Waiting for reader process to fill input buffer ... input buffer ready.
Starting new track at sector: 0
Track 02: 0 of 2591 MB written.
/usr/bin/cdrecord: Success. write_g1: scsi sendcmd: no error
CDB: 2A 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 10 00
status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
Sense Bytes: 70 00 03 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 73 03 00 00
Sense Key: 0x3 Medium Error, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x73 Qual 0x03 (power calibration area error) Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
resid: 32768
cmd finished after 17.339s timeout 200s
/usr/bin/cdrecord: A write error occured.
/usr/bin/cdrecord: Please properly read the error message above.
write track data: error after 0 bytes
Writing time: 22.358s
Average write speed 87.7x.
Fixating...
Fixating time: 0.003s
/usr/bin/cdrecord: fifo had 128 puts and 1 gets.
/usr/bin/cdrecord: fifo was 0 times empty and 0 times full, min fill was
100%.
BURN-Free was not used.

Now we have an error message but there is no information on the media.

Please run "cdrecord -atip" with the failing medium.

DVD+RW is a medium with well known deficits in drive media compatibility and
there is also low quality media.

As nothing has been written, your problem youd be a result of a drive media
compatibility problem. This may be a result from writing the media with a
different drive before. You may try to call "cdrecord -v -force -format" in
order to reformat the medium before writing to it.

Note that the mein difference between DVD- (the standard) and DVD+
(a Philips/Sony vendor specific system) is that the DVD Forum frequently runs
round robin tests for drive media compatibility. The tests are run in a way that
every media is written with every writer and read with every reader.

Jörg

After downgrading to a stable cdrtools, I don't have any failing media.
I have been using the same drive and media for quite a while tho. I
think I had the drive for a year or so and the media for about the same
time. I re-use the media since it is RW. Actually, I bought the media
when I bought the drive. I got them from newegg of course.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 04-01-2010, 10:47 AM
Dale

Joerg Schilling wrote:

Dale<rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:

I see your points but it just finished burning about 6 more very full
DVDs with not one single error. They burned with no prompts other than
the usual things it does to confirm what I am doing, such as overwriting
a DVD with data on it. Since it was failing basically every time
before and has not failed since downgrading cdrtools, it appears not to
be hardware but a software issue. I guess I could install the newer

There is definitely no software issue with cdrecord.

Jörg

Then this is sort of funny. The only thing I changed was to downgrade
cdrtools and then it worked fine. Same DVD media, same drive, same
files being burned and it worked fine with the older version of
cdrtools. So it appears to be something software or some different
setting somewhere.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 04-01-2010, 11:52 AM

Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:

> After downgrading to a stable cdrtools, I don't have any failing media.
> I have been using the same drive and media for quite a while tho. I

There is a difference between "after" downgrading and _from_ downgrading.
It you really mean _after_ downgrading, there is no way to help you as you are
just describing a dirt effect.

Jörg

js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)

Old 04-01-2010, 03:02 PM

Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:

> OK. I thought I would try some different versions of software and see
> what happens. With the info Neil provided about what does what, I
> thought I would try a different version of cdrtools. I went to a older
> version and it worked fine on the first try with my backup file. It is
> as I type burning the second DVD with no errors yet. I'm using
> cdrtools-2.01.01_alpha57-r1 at the moment. Maybe this will work.

As mentioned before, if it works for you _after_ this change, you did not prove
anything. In special you did not prove that the change is a result _from_
changing releases.

There are many changes in cdrtools since January 2009, but there was no change
that could affect your problem.

Your media was either accepted after several tries by the drive for unknown
reasons and is now usable in general again or you are observing a problem
caused by "hald". Note that hald does not care about the CD/DVD/BD Writing
process and interrupts it. This is why hald may cause any strange result.

Jörg

js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)

Old 04-01-2010, 03:17 PM
Dale

Joerg Schilling wrote:

[...]

All I know is that I downgraded cdrtools and it worked. I didn't even
eject the media. Since it works now , I don't guess there is any way to
test it. Next time I do a backup, I'll upgrade and see if it fails. If
it does, maybe then we can figure it out. I'll go back to my current
version and see if it works then. May be a bit before I do backups
again tho.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 04-01-2010, 08:21 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Thu, 01 Apr 2010 17:02:20 +0200, Joerg Schilling wrote:

> Your media was either accepted after several tries by the drive for
> unknown reasons and is now usable in general again or you are observing
> a problem caused by "hald".

OMG Jörg! Do you have any idea what you've done?

--
Neil Bothwick

Drink varnish and you'll have a lovely finish.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:38 PM
Paul Hartman

On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 10:02 AM, Joerg Schilling
<Joerg.Schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de> wrote:
> Your media was either accepted after several tries by the drive for unknown
> reasons and is now usable in general again or you are observing a problem
> caused by "hald". Note that hald does not care about the CD/DVD/BD Writing
> process and interrupts it. This is why hald may cause any strange result.

Would a HAL preprobe FDI like this prevent it from interfering with burning?

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<deviceinfo version="0.2">
<device>
<match key="storage.drive_type" string="cdrom">
<merge key="info.ignore" type="bool">true</merge>
</match>
</device>
</deviceinfo>

Old 04-01-2010, 08:41 PM

Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:

> On Thu, 01 Apr 2010 17:02:20 +0200, Joerg Schilling wrote:
>
> > Your media was either accepted after several tries by the drive for
> > unknown reasons and is now usable in general again or you are observing
> > a problem caused by "hald".
>
> OMG Jörg! Do you have any idea what you've done?

Not really, did I say Jehova?

Jörg

js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)

Old 04-01-2010, 09:12 PM