Old 03-30-2010, 08:39 PM
Mike Edenfield

Default Can't get a DVD to burn.

On 3/30/2010 1:00 PM, Dale wrote:

> status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
> Sense Bytes: 70 00 03 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 73 03 00 00
> Sense Key: 0x3 Medium Error, Segment 0
> Sense Code: 0x73 Qual 0x03 (power calibration area error) Fru 0x0
> Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)

This part is claiming that your burner was unable to figure out what the
correct power level is for writing to the media. This is entirely
controlled in hardware, so there is no legitimate reason why your
version of cdrecord should have any effect. It is almost always caused by:

* Bad media
* Bad hardware
* Insufficient power supply

You've basically eliminated #1 by using the same media successfully, and
#3 isn't the kind of thing that just crops up, so I suspect your
recorder is starting to fail. (It could be as simple as a dirty lens).
The only question is why older versions of cdrecord continue to work.

Can you post the output from a successful run on the same ISO as this?
It would be helpful to see if cdrecord is using different settings for
the different versions. In particular, if it defaulted to a lower burn
speed, or didn't enable BURNFREE by default, those may change the power
requirements.

--K

#3 isn't the kind of thing that just crops up, so I suspect your
recorder is starting to fail. (It could be as simple as a dirty lens).
The only question is why older versions of cdrecord continue to work.

Can you post the output from a successful run on the same ISO as this?
It would be helpful to see if cdrecord is using different settings for
the different versions. In particular, if it defaulted to a lower burn
speed, or didn't enable BURNFREE by default, those may change the power
requirements.

--K

I see your points but it just finished burning about 6 more very full
DVDs with not one single error. They burned with no prompts other than
the usual things it does to confirm what I am doing, such as overwriting
a DVD with data on it. Since it was failing basically every time
before and has not failed since downgrading cdrtools, it appears not to
be hardware but a software issue. I guess I could install the newer
version of cdrtools and see if it fails again. If it does, then it is
software. If not, then I'm not sure what to think really. Well, I
think I will switch back to this version of cdrtools since it works. ;-)

Since I deleted the old backups, I would have to create a new set tho. I
remove them as I burn them since it sort of fills that partition up
pretty quick. I tend to forget to delete them if I don't do it at the
time.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 03-31-2010, 10:07 PM
Marc Joliet

Am Tue, 30 Mar 2010 15:06:46 -0500
schrieb Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com>:

> Dale wrote:
[...]
> I hope the DVD guru saw this and the error just in case he sees what
> needs fixing. Maybe he is on vacation or something. :-)

Heh, I was wondering where Jörg Schilling (I guess that's who you mean) is,
too :-) . Usually he reacts to these threads at the speed of light. A CD/DVD
burning thread without Mr. Schilling is like an X/HAL thread without you ;-) .

--
Marc Joliet

Old 03-31-2010, 10:46 PM
Dale