Old 01-11-2008, 10:41 AM
Philip Webb

Default Gentoo Install CD : was Is GWN dead?

080111 Michael Schmarck wrote:
> Shaochun Wang <scwang@ios.ac.cn> wrote:
>> Currently, Gentoo has not updated its installation CD for a long time!
> Well, actually, I never used a Gentoo install CD to install Gentoo.
> I also don't quite understand, why anyone would need such a beast.
> To install Gentoo, I'd boot my favorite "rescue system" (GRMl nowadays,
> Knoppix back then, but IMO Knoppix is too "fat" for *this* *task*)
> and install from there. As far as I'm concerned,
> the Gentoo install CD could easily be dropped without a loss.

I had to use it to set up my 64-bit system 0710xx :
Knoppix didn't have a 64-bit kernel
& SystemRescue couldn't connect to my ADSL Internet line.
I installed by hand following the steps in the manual with a few tweaks
for my own personal needs. I didn't like the Gnome desktop on the CD
& wondered why it doesn't use eg Fluxbox, but that's personal taste (smile).

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb : purslow@chass.utoronto.ca
ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Centre for Urban & Community Studies
TRANSIT `-O----------O---' University of Toronto

Old 01-11-2008, 12:35 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 06:41:09 -0500, Philip Webb wrote:

> I didn't like the Gnome desktop on the CD
> & wondered why it doesn't use eg Fluxbox, but that's personal taste
> (smile).

I understand they are switching to a lighter desktop for the next
release, because GNOME was using too much of the CD that was needed for
packages.

--
Neil Bothwick

8088 = model T Ford. Pentium = supercharged 400 horsepower model T Ford.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:41 AM
Thufir

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 13:35:38 +0000, Neil Bothwick wrote:

> I understand they are switching to a lighter desktop for the next
> release, because GNOME was using too much of the CD that was needed for
> packages.

The only packages (beyond a desktop) required are (my opinion):

xchat or pidgin
firefox

-Thufir