Old 03-23-2010, 05:35 PM
Arnau Bria

Default linux-uvc

Hi all,

I've an caer TravelMate 5720 and I'd like to use my webcam (Suyin).

I've read some docs and say that I should use uvc driver from kernel
and not linux-uvc driver from portage. But portage package also
contains user-space tools for USB cameras, so, if I use kernel driver,
How may I get the tools?

Anyone who is using uvc could explain me his experience?

TIA,
Arnau

Old 07-01-2010, 11:54 PM
Nicolas Sebrecht

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 07:35:39PM +0100, Arnau Bria wrote:

> I've an caer TravelMate 5720 and I'd like to use my webcam (Suyin).
>
> I've read some docs and say that I should use uvc driver from kernel
> and not linux-uvc driver from portage. But portage package also
> contains user-space tools for USB cameras, so, if I use kernel driver,
> How may I get the tools?

What tools are you talking about?

--
Nicolas Sebrecht

Old 07-07-2010, 03:09 AM
James Wall

I've an caer TravelMate 5720 and I'd like to use my webcam (Suyin).

I've read some docs and say that I should use uvc driver from kernel
and not linux-uvc driver from portage. But portage package also
contains user-space tools for USB cameras, so, if I use kernel driver,
How may I get the tools?

What tools are you talking about?

Anyone who is using uvc could explain me his experience?

the original driver was built outside the kernel tree and was called
linux-uvc. the driver has since been added to the kernel and is no
longer necessary. tools available include media-video/luvcview which is
only available for ~x86 and media-video/guvcview.

--
James Wall
No trees were harmed in the sending of this message. However, a large