Old 01-11-2008, 07:37 AM
"Daniel Pielmeier"

Default Is GWN dead?

2008/1/11, Shaochun Wang <scwang@ios.ac.cn>:
> Is Gentoo Weekly Newsletter dead? The most recent update is 15 Oct,
> 2007.
>
> What happened in Gentoo community?

There is currently a discussion on gentoo-dev. It looks like it will
be changed to a GMN (Gentoo Monthly Newsletter) due to the lack of
contributions.

Old 01-11-2008, 07:58 AM
Pongracz Istvan

2008. 01. 11, péntek keltezéssel 09.37-kor Daniel Pielmeier ezt írta:
> 2008/1/11, Shaochun Wang <scwang@ios.ac.cn>:
> > Is Gentoo Weekly Newsletter dead? The most recent update is 15 Oct,
> > 2007.
> >
> > What happened in Gentoo community?
>
> There is currently a discussion on gentoo-dev. It looks like it will
> be changed to a GMN (Gentoo Monthly Newsletter) due to the lack of
> contributions.

<joke>

Or they will change to GYN (Gentoo Yearly Newsletter)

</joke>

Old 01-11-2008, 08:12 AM
Shaochun Wang

On Fri, Jan 11, 2008 at 09:58:16AM +0100, Pongracz Istvan wrote:

> 2008. 01. 11, p茅ntek keltez茅ssel 09.37-kor Daniel Pielmeier ezt 铆rta:
> <joke>
>
> Or they will change to GYN (Gentoo Yearly Newsletter)
>

> </joke>

Maybe you joke will become the truth. Currently, Gentoo has not updated
its installation CD for a long time!

--
Shaochun Wang <scwang@ios.ac.cn>

Jabber: fungusw@jabber.org

Old 01-11-2008, 08:22 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Friday 11 January 2008, Shaochun Wang wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 11, 2008 at 09:58:16AM +0100, Pongracz Istvan wrote:
> > 2008. 01. 11, p茅ntek keltez茅ssel 09.37-kor Daniel Pielmeier ezt
> > 铆rta: <joke>
> >
> > Or they will change to GYN (Gentoo Yearly Newsletter)
> >

> > </joke>
>
> Maybe you joke will become the truth. Currently, Gentoo has not
> updated its installation CD for a long time!

Why do you think gentoo *needs* to update it's install CD?

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 01-11-2008, 08:35 AM
"Daniel Pielmeier"

2008/1/11, Shaochun Wang <scwang@ios.ac.cn>:
> On Fri, Jan 11, 2008 at 09:58:16AM +0100, Pongracz Istvan wrote:
> >
> > 2008. 01. 11, p茅ntek keltez茅ssel 09.37-kor Daniel Pielmeier ezt 铆rta:
> > <joke>
> >
> > Or they will change to GYN (Gentoo Yearly Newsletter)
> >

> > </joke>
> >

> Maybe you joke will become the truth. Currently, Gentoo has not updated
> its installation CD for a long time!

You can use other means of information, join gentoo-dev or the forums
for example to get informed.

Gentoo does not need any kind of installation CD. You can use other
Live CD's for installing Gentoo if you have hardware which is not
supported by the latest Gentoo Release. Just for updating your
installation there is no need for any installation media, execpt you
do not have a proper internet-connection. So just sync and update!

Old 01-11-2008, 08:38 AM
Dirk Heinrichs

Am Freitag, 11. Januar 2008 schrieb ext Shaochun Wang:

> Currently, Gentoo has not updated
> its installation CD for a long time!

They don't need to. One week ago I used a GRML cd to install a new Gentoo
system.

Bye...

Dirk
--
Dirk Heinrichs | Tel: +49 (0)162 234 3408
D-40468 Düsseldorf | ICQ#: 110037733

Old 01-11-2008, 08:50 AM
Dale

Dirk Heinrichs wrote:

They don't need to. One week ago I used a GRML cd to install a new Gentoo
system.

Bye...

Dirk

Knoppix will work too.*

Dale

:-)* :-)*

Old 01-11-2008, 09:02 AM
Michael Schmarck

Shaochun Wang <scwang@ios.ac.cn> wrote:

> Maybe you joke will become the truth. Currently, Gentoo has not updated
> its installation CD for a long time!

Well, actually, I never used a Gentoo install CD to install Gentoo. I
also don't quite understand, why anyone would need such a beast. To
install Gentoo, I'd boot my favorite "rescue system" (GRMl nowadays,
Knoppix back then, but IMO Knoppix is too "fat" for *this* *task*)
and install from there. No need for an install CD.

As far as I'm concerned, the Gentoo install CD could easily be dropped
without a loss.

Michael

Old 01-11-2008, 09:06 AM
Michael Schmarck

Daniel Pielmeier <daniel.pielmeier@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Gentoo does not need any kind of installation CD. You can use other
> Live CD's for installing Gentoo if you have hardware which is not
> supported by the latest Gentoo Release.

Absolutely correct! It would be good, though, if "them Gentoo folks"
would point to other Live CDs (like GRML or whatever) on the
appropriate places. At is right now, people might (IMO) rightfully
think, that the only way to install Gentoo is with the help of a Gentoo
install CD, as that's what's linked to in the documentation.

Michael

Old 01-11-2008, 09:07 AM
Galevsky

&

On Jan 11, 2008 10:22 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:
> Why do you think gentoo *needs* to update it's install CD?

Because Gentoo is a distro, and as a distro, it should have a way to
be installed on a computer... I upgraded my hardware recently and my
previous gentoo distro was not able to boot (ICH9 + JMicron
controller) because no SATA HD was recognized with my old 2.6.18
kernel.... the only way to boot was livecd with right kernel/modules.
But Gentoo was not able to provide a *so basic feature*, the one that
let me boot on my computer.... and you see no needs with that ? Well,
if Gentoo is not able to make my computer booting, it is sure that I
have no need to get maintained portage nor any one of the ebuilds...

To fix my problem, I had a look at other distro LiveCD, but had a too
old kernel inside, then fell back to a custom-made Gentoo LiveCD found
on the gentoo forums.

Maybe *YOU* don't have the need to spend hours looking for an
installCD/LiveCD, but it is a true one for lots of people that faced
this problem. What Gentoo have to tell to these people ? Let's get to
hell since Gentoo installCD is outdated ?

You can say that devs have no time to make it, but please, don't tell
that Gentoo doesn't need any installCD (outdated means no CD at all
for many computers nowaday).

Gal'