Old 03-22-2010, 05:58 AM
Mick

Default Playing Apple Trailers

What's the trick for playing Apple Trailers these days? It used to work fine
years ago, but now all I get is a pop-up telling me to download Apple's
Quicktime player. :-(

I looked for mplayer USE flags to enable it, but can't find any. I did find
media-libs/libquicktime, but I am not sure if this is needed or which video
player will use it.
Mick

Old 03-22-2010, 06:29 AM
Daniel Troeder

On 03/22/2010 07:58 AM, Mick wrote:
> What's the trick for playing Apple Trailers these days? It used to work fine
> years ago, but now all I get is a pop-up telling me to download Apple's
> Quicktime player. :-(
>
> I looked for mplayer USE flags to enable it, but can't find any. I did find
> media-libs/libquicktime, but I am not sure if this is needed or which video
> player will use it.
You have to use
$ mplayer -user-agent=QuickTime/7.6.2
http://trailers.apple.com/movies/disney/aliceinwonderland/aliceinwonderland-clip1_480p.mov

$ echo "user-agent=QuickTime/7.6.2" >> ~/.mplayer/config

The links on the web pages don't work for me - I search for the URL in
the HTML-source

Bye,
Daniel

--
PGP key @ http://pgpkeys.pca.dfn.de/pks/lookup?search=0xBB9D4887&op=get
# gpg --recv-keys --keyserver hkp://subkeys.pgp.net 0xBB9D4887

Old 03-22-2010, 10:43 AM
Mick

Thanks Daniel,

On 22 March 2010 07:29, Daniel Troeder <daniel@admin-box.com> wrote:
> On 03/22/2010 07:58 AM, Mick wrote:
>> What's the trick for playing Apple Trailers these days? *It used to work fine
>> years ago, but now all I get is a pop-up telling me to download Apple's
>> Quicktime player. *:-(
>>
>> I looked for mplayer USE flags to enable it, but can't find any. *I did find
>> media-libs/libquicktime, but I am not sure if this is needed or which video
>> player will use it.
> You have to use
> $ mplayer -user-agent=QuickTime/7.6.2
> http://trailers.apple.com/movies/disney/aliceinwonderland/aliceinwonderland-clip1_480p.mov

The correct syntax is slightly different:

mplayer -user-agent QuickTime/7.6.2

The "=" sign is required in the configuration file though.

Thanks again.
Mick

Old 03-22-2010, 06:18 PM
Christian Schulze

Hi,

I installed www-plugins/gecko-mediaplayer version 0.9.9.2 (masked with
keywords ~alpha ~amd64 ~hppa ~ppc ~ppc64 ~x86) recently and this works great
with the Apple Trailers.

It pulls in gnome-mplayer, which requires mplayer of course. I compiled them
with the following use flags, just in case you need them:

[ebuild R ] media-video/mplayer-1.0_rc4_p20091026-r1 USE="3dnow 3dnowext
X a52 aac alsa ass bidi cddb cdio dirac dts dv dvd dvdnav enca encode esd faac
faad gif iconv ipv6 jack jpeg live mad mmx mmxext mng mp3 network openal
opengl osdmenu oss png quicktime rar real rtc schroedinger sdl shm speex sse
svga theora toolame tremor truetype twolame unicode vorbis win32codecs x264
xscreensaver xv xvid xvmc -aalib (-altivec) -bindist -bl -bs2b -cdparanoia -
cpudetection -custom-cpuopts -debug -dga -directfb -doc -dvb -dxr3 -fbcon -ftp
-ggi -gmplayer -joystick -ladspa -libcaca -lirc -lzo -md5sum -nas -nut -
opencore-amr -pnm -pulseaudio -pvr -radio -samba -sse2 -ssse3 -teletext -tga -
v4l -v4l2 -vdpau -vidix -xanim -xinerama -zoran" VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia -mga -
s3virge -tdfx" 15,153 kB

[ebuild R ] media-video/gnome-mplayer-0.9.9.2 USE="alsa libnotify -gnome
-ipod -musicbrainz -pulseaudio" 0 kB

[ebuild R ] www-plugins/gecko-mediaplayer-0.9.9.2 USE="-gnome" 0 kB

Cheers
Christian

Old 03-22-2010, 06:30 PM
Mick

On Monday 22 March 2010 19:18:48 Christian Schulze wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I installed www-plugins/gecko-mediaplayer version 0.9.9.2 (masked with
> keywords ~alpha ~amd64 ~hppa ~ppc ~ppc64 ~x86) recently and this works
> great with the Apple Trailers.
>
> It pulls in gnome-mplayer,

Thanks Christian, I am not sure I want to install a gnome front end to
mplayer. However, it seems that the gecko-mediaplayer plugin only has one
option. Anyone knows if there's an alternative? Qt4 front end like smplayer
would be preferable to me.
Mick

Old 03-23-2010, 03:30 PM
YoYo siska

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 07:30:49PM +0000, Mick wrote:
> On Monday 22 March 2010 19:18:48 Christian Schulze wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I installed www-plugins/gecko-mediaplayer version 0.9.9.2 (masked with
> > keywords ~alpha ~amd64 ~hppa ~ppc ~ppc64 ~x86) recently and this works
> > great with the Apple Trailers.
> >
> > It pulls in gnome-mplayer,
>
> Thanks Christian, I am not sure I want to install a gnome front end to
> mplayer. However, it seems that the gecko-mediaplayer plugin only has one
> option. Anyone knows if there's an alternative? Qt4 front end like smplayer
> would be preferable to me.

don't know about alternatives, but gnome-mplayer with -gnome use flag
(and the same holds for gecko-mplayer) is just a "simple" gtk app,
just like firefox itself, nothig gnome specific about it and
theoretically it can look better in firefox than qt apps, because they
both use the same engine/theme

with -gnome it also doesn't bring in any gnome dependencies... its just
that it is named gnome-... (well, because when you enable it, it can
becamu a "full" gnome app..., though I really don't know what gnome
features it uses

yoyo