-   -   KDE 4 - error when closing window (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/344829-kde-4-error-when-closing-window.html)

Crístian Viana 03-21-2010 01:41 PM

KDE 4 - error when closing window

hi,
every time I close a window in KDE*4.4.1, a popup shows up saying "Starting KTTSD Failed" and I don't know why KTTSD tries to start. I don't have it installed right now, but when I had it, KTTSD showed up after I closed a window for the first time, and it didn't appear again. if I don't have it, like now, the KNotify popup appears every single time I close some window, it's annoying.

what should I do? I know I can install KTTSD but I don't need it. I wish I could disable the setting which triggers KTTSD every time I close a window in KDE.
thanks!

Neil Bothwick 03-21-2010 06:08 PM

On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 11:41:38 -0300, Crístian Viana wrote:

> what should I do? I know I can install KTTSD but I don't need it. I
> wish I could disable the setting which triggers KTTSD every time I
> close a window in KDE.

Is KTTSD the text-to-speech engine? Do you have something set up as a
window close notification in systemsettings?

--
Neil Bothwick

Got kleptomania? Be sure to take something for it.

Crístian Viana 03-21-2010 11:34 PM

KDE 4 - error when closing window

Is KTTSD the text-to-speech engine?
yes

Do you have something set up as a*window close notification in systemsettings?
yes, it's set up to play a sound when a window closes. just that.
I realized the KTTSD popup only shows up when I click the X button. if I close by a menu entry, for example (like File > Close), it doesn't happen.

Neil Bothwick 03-22-2010 12:42 AM

On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 21:34:07 -0300, Crístian Viana wrote:

> I realized the KTTSD popup only shows up when I click the X button. if I
> close by a menu entry, for example (like File > Close), it doesn't
> happen.

I see that KWin has a notification event for Delete Window, could this be
involved?

--
Neil Bothwick

"Do not handicap your children by making their lives easy."
-- Robert Heinlein

Mick 03-22-2010 06:19 PM

On Monday 22 March 2010 01:42:22 Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 21:34:07 -0300, Crístian Viana wrote:
> > I realized the KTTSD popup only shows up when I click the X button. if I
> > close by a menu entry, for example (like File > Close), it doesn't
> > happen.
>
> I see that KWin has a notification event for Delete Window, could this be
> involved?

I thought that KDE4 uses KDEWM not KWin ... ?

Mick

Alan McKinnon 03-22-2010 08:28 PM

On Monday 22 March 2010 21:19:16 Mick wrote:
> On Monday 22 March 2010 01:42:22 Neil Bothwick wrote:
> > On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 21:34:07 -0300, Crístian Viana wrote:
> > > I realized the KTTSD popup only shows up when I click the X button. if
> > > I close by a menu entry, for example (like File > Close), it doesn't
> > > happen.
> >
> > I see that KWin has a notification event for Delete Window, could this be
> > involved?
>
> I thought that KDE4 uses KDEWM not KWin ... ?

Dunno where you got that name. There's no such thing, and I don't think there
ever has been:

$ locate -i kdewm
$
$ locate -i kwin | grep bin/
/usr/bin/kwin
$

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Dale 03-22-2010 08:46 PM

Alan McKinnon wrote:

I realized the KTTSD popup only shows up when I click the X button. if
I close by a menu entry, for example (like File> Close), it doesn't
happen.

I see that KWin has a notification event for Delete Window, could this be
involved?

I thought that KDE4 uses KDEWM not KWin ... ?

Dunno where you got that name. There's no such thing, and I don't think there
ever has been:

$ locate -i kdewm
$
$ locate -i kwin | grep bin/
/usr/bin/kwin
$

There is such a thing but it appears to be a variable not a executable.
I found several references to it in the KDE mailing lists. All related
to KDE4 by the way.

Dale

:-) :-)

Mike Edenfield 03-22-2010 09:09 PM

On 3/22/2010 5:46 PM, Dale wrote:
> Alan McKinnon wrote:
>> On Monday 22 March 2010 21:19:16 Mick wrote:
>>> I thought that KDE4 uses KDEWM not KWin ... ?
>>>
>> Dunno where you got that name. There's no such thing, and I don't
>> think there
>> ever has been:
>
> There is such a thing but it appears to be a variable not a executable.
> I found several references to it in the KDE mailing lists. All related
> to KDE4 by the way.

It's not KDE4-specific, but you are correct that it's the name of an
environment variable, not an actual KDE component.

Setting KDEWM was the standard way of getting compiz instead of KWin for
your window manager in KDE3. Now that KWin composites all by itself,
not really necessary, but the variable still works as before.

--Mike

Mick 03-22-2010 09:45 PM

On Monday 22 March 2010 21:46:43 Dale wrote:
> Alan McKinnon wrote:

> >> I thought that KDE4 uses KDEWM not KWin ... ?
> >
> > Dunno where you got that name. There's no such thing, and I don't think
> > there ever has been:
> >
> > $ locate -i kdewm
> > $
> > $ locate -i kwin | grep bin/
> > /usr/bin/kwin
> > $
>
> There is such a thing but it appears to be a variable not a executable.
> I found several references to it in the KDE mailing lists. All related
> to KDE4 by the way.
>
> Dale
>
> :-) :-)

I'm prone to errors tonight - I hit Reply and ended up sending it to Alan and
missing the list. This is what I wrote:
Oops! You're right, $KDEWM is a variable for the window manager, which may be
defined as the kwin.

test -n "$KDEWM" && KDEWM="--windowmanager $KDEWM"

Sorry for the noise.
Mick

Crístian Viana 03-22-2010 09:49 PM

KDE 4 - error when closing window

I see that KWin has a notification event for Delete Window, could this be

involved?
how do I check what's set up for that event? there's nothing unusual in Notifications > System Notifications > The KDE Window Manager nor in Window Behavior > Window-Specific.