Old 03-22-2010, 10:40 PM
Dale

Default KDE 4 - error when closing window

Mick wrote:

On Monday 22 March 2010 21:46:43 Dale wrote:

Alan McKinnon wrote:

On Monday 22 March 2010 21:19:16 Mick wrote:

On Monday 22 March 2010 01:42:22 Neil Bothwick wrote:

On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 21:34:07 -0300, Crístian Viana wrote:

I realized the KTTSD popup only shows up when I click the X button. if
I close by a menu entry, for example (like File> Close), it doesn't
happen.

I see that KWin has a notification event for Delete Window, could this
be involved?

I thought that KDE4 uses KDEWM not KWin ... ?

Dunno where you got that name. There's no such thing, and I don't think
there ever has been:

$ locate -i kdewm
$
$ locate -i kwin | grep bin/
/usr/bin/kwin
$

There is such a thing but it appears to be a variable not a executable.
I found several references to it in the KDE mailing lists. All related
to KDE4 by the way.

Dale

:-) :-)

I'm prone to errors tonight - I hit Reply and ended up sending it to Alan and
missing the list. This is what I wrote:
Oops! You're right, $KDEWM is a variable for the window manager, which may be
defined as the kwin.

test -n "$KDEWM"&& KDEWM="--windowmanager $KDEWM"

Sorry for the noise.

Noise, what noise? Heck, this is how we learn. If we wasn't learning
something, we would have to know everything. My head ain't that big.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 03-23-2010, 02:27 AM
Crístian Viana

I see that KWin has a notification event for Delete Window, could this be

involved?
hey, I just found out what the problem was :-)
in the file ~/.kde4/share/config/kwin.notifyrc, there was an entry in Event/close which was telling KTTS to say out loud "Good bye" (so lame of me, isn't it). I think I may have set that up a long time ago, to test KTTS, and I didn't remember doing it... anyway, I just cleared the KTTS line and removed "KTTS" from the Action line, and the popup doesn't appear anymore.

the weird thing is that the KTTS setting still works if the notifyrc file says so, but there's no GUI option to turn if on/off. I'm sure I didn't do this by editing a text file; some previous KDE version must have allowed me doing it via System Setttings. now it doesn't.

thanks for your help!