Old 03-20-2010, 09:21 AM
Mick

Default KDE4 suspend to RAM

Hi All,

I want to map a OEM keyboard button to suspend the PC to RAM, but I am not
sure which command KDE4 is using in its menu for suspending to RAM. I assume
that I will be able to map this button to the command in question and I
wouldn't need to elevate privileges, enter passwds, or the like, because when
I select it from the KDE menu it just runs.
Mick

Old 03-20-2010, 02:14 PM
ich bins

Am 20.03.2010 11:21, schrieb Mick:
> Hi All,
>
> I want to map a OEM keyboard button to suspend the PC to RAM, but I am not
> sure which command KDE4 is using in its menu for suspending to RAM. I assume
> that I will be able to map this button to the command in question and I
> wouldn't need to elevate privileges, enter passwds, or the like, because when
> I select it from the KDE menu it just runs.

in the shortcuts section you have to define a new dbus-call

org.kde.kded
/modules/powerdevil
suspend
2

Old 03-20-2010, 02:16 PM
ich bins

Old 03-20-2010, 04:15 PM
Mick

On Saturday 20 March 2010 15:16:57 ich bins wrote:
> Am 20.03.2010 11:21, schrieb Mick:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I want to map a OEM keyboard button to suspend the PC to RAM, but I am
> > not sure which command KDE4 is using in its menu for suspending to RAM.
> > I assume that I will be able to map this button to the command in
> > question and I wouldn't need to elevate privileges, enter passwds, or the
> > like, because when I select it from the KDE menu it just runs.
>
> in the shortcuts section you have to define a new dbus-call
>
> org.kde.kded
> /modules/powerdevil
> suspend
> 2

Thanks! Will give it a try next time I get on that machine.
Mick

Old 03-21-2010, 07:46 AM
Mick

On Saturday 20 March 2010 15:16:57 ich bins wrote:
> Am 20.03.2010 11:21, schrieb Mick:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I want to map a OEM keyboard button to suspend the PC to RAM, but I am
> > not sure which command KDE4 is using in its menu for suspending to RAM.
> > I assume that I will be able to map this button to the command in
> > question and I wouldn't need to elevate privileges, enter passwds, or the
> > like, because when I select it from the KDE menu it just runs.
>
> in the shortcuts section you have to define a new dbus-call
>
> org.kde.kded
> /modules/powerdevil
> suspend
> 2

Hmm ... this is weird:

I set up Trigger as Sleep and populated the Action fields as you suggested in
the Input Actions in SystemSettings. If I click on the Call button under the
Action fields, the machine goes to sleep. If I use the keyboard Sleep button
it does not. How do I troubleshoot this?
Mick

Old 03-22-2010, 08:26 AM
ich bins

Am 21.03.2010 09:46, schrieb Mick:
> On Saturday 20 March 2010 15:16:57 ich bins wrote:
>
>> Am 20.03.2010 11:21, schrieb Mick:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I want to map a OEM keyboard button to suspend the PC to RAM, but I am
>>> not sure which command KDE4 is using in its menu for suspending to RAM.
>>> I assume that I will be able to map this button to the command in
>>> question and I wouldn't need to elevate privileges, enter passwds, or the
>>> like, because when I select it from the KDE menu it just runs.
>>>
>> in the shortcuts section you have to define a new dbus-call
>>
>> org.kde.kded
>> /modules/powerdevil
>> suspend
>> 2
>>
> Hmm ... this is weird:
>
> I set up Trigger as Sleep and populated the Action fields as you suggested in
> the Input Actions in SystemSettings. If I click on the Call button under the
> Action fields, the machine goes to sleep. If I use the keyboard Sleep button
> it does not. How do I troubleshoot this?

have you populated the Xf86Sleep-button (or which you re using) with the
action? Is the key you re using known by KDE ? which KDE version you re
using?

Old 03-22-2010, 10:17 AM
Mick

On 22 March 2010 09:26, ich bins <imehl_adresse@gmx.net> wrote:
> Am 21.03.2010 09:46, schrieb Mick:
>> On Saturday 20 March 2010 15:16:57 ich bins wrote:
>>
>>> Am 20.03.2010 11:21, schrieb Mick:

>>> in the shortcuts section you have to define a new dbus-call
>>>
>>> org.kde.kded
>>> /modules/powerdevil
>>> suspend
>>> 2
>>>
>> Hmm ... this is weird:
>>
>> I set up Trigger as Sleep and populated the Action fields as you suggested in
>> the Input Actions in SystemSettings. *If I click on the Call button under the
>> Action fields, the machine goes to sleep. *If I use the keyboard Sleep button
>> it does not. *How do I troubleshoot this?
>>
> have you populated the Xf86Sleep-button (or which you re using) with the
> action?

Yes, in the Trigger tab of Input Actions, I clicked on 'Input' and
then pressed the keyboard button which changed the 'Input' field into
'Sleep'.

> Is the key you re using known by KDE ? which KDE version you re
> using?

I believe that the key is known by KDE because it is now also shown
under Global hotkeys.

I am using KDE-4.3.5

Mick

Old 03-22-2010, 10:24 AM
ich bins

Am 22.03.2010 12:17, schrieb Mick:
> On 22 March 2010 09:26, ich bins <imehl_adresse@gmx.net> wrote:

>>> Hmm ... this is weird:
>>>
>>> I set up Trigger as Sleep and populated the Action fields as you suggested in
>>> the Input Actions in SystemSettings. �If I click on the Call button under the
>>> Action fields, the machine goes to sleep. �If I use the keyboard Sleep button
>>> it does not. �How do I troubleshoot this?
>>>

>> have you populated the Xf86Sleep-button (or which you re using) with the
>> action?
>>
> Yes, in the Trigger tab of Input Actions, I clicked on 'Input' and
> then pressed the keyboard button which changed the 'Input' field into
> 'Sleep'.
>

>> Is the key you re using known by KDE ? which KDE version you re
>> using?
>>
> I believe that the key is known by KDE because it is now also shown
> under Global hotkeys.
>
> I am using KDE-4.3.5

because of the missing kaction in 4.3.5 it worked for me only since 4.4.0

Old 03-22-2010, 10:44 AM
Mick

On 22 March 2010 11:24, ich bins <imehl_adresse@gmx.net> wrote:

> because of the missing kaction in 4.3.5 it worked for me only since 4.4.0

Thanks for that, I'll wait until 4.4.0 goes stable and try again.
Mick