-   -   SSH sessions hanging in VPN (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/344249-ssh-sessions-hanging-vpn.html)

Neil Walker 03-19-2010 09:21 PM

SSH sessions hanging in VPN

On 19/03/10 20:38, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> Occasionally, and apparently triggered
> randomly[1], all existing ssh sessions freeze and never come back (even after
> several hours). The connections are still up and do not die on the remote end.
> Mail connections stay up and the browser tabs continue to work as well[2].

It's probably totally unrelated but I have just been having problems
with one of
my servers since the openssh update a few days ago. SSH sessions were dieing
after a few minutes even when I was actively using them. I tried
everything I
could think of but couldn't trace the problem. In the end, emerge -C openssh
followed by emerge openssh cured it. <shrugs>

Be lucky,

Neil
http://www.neiljw.com

believed to be clean.

Alan McKinnon 03-19-2010 10:06 PM

SSH sessions hanging in VPN

On Saturday 20 March 2010 00:21:53 Neil Walker wrote:
> On 19/03/10 20:38, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > Occasionally, and apparently triggered
> > randomly[1], all existing ssh sessions freeze and never come back (even
> > after several hours). The connections are still up and do not die on the
> > remote end. Mail connections stay up and the browser tabs continue to
> > work as well[2].
>
> It's probably totally unrelated but I have just been having problems
> with one of
> my servers since the openssh update a few days ago. SSH sessions were
> dieing after a few minutes even when I was actively using them. I tried
> everything I
> could think of but couldn't trace the problem. In the end, emerge -C
> openssh followed by emerge openssh cured it. <shrugs>

I don't think you'r ebeing fair to yourself using that word "unrelated" ;-)

I've been on openssh-5.4 for about a fortnight now and I can't remember my
problem happening before that. So you might be onto something.

I'm unmerging and remerging openssh right now, then I'll do some tests over
the weekend and into next week. Who knows, maybe I get lucky too!

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

walt 03-19-2010 11:29 PM

SSH sessions hanging in VPN