-   -   CUPS and hp OfficeJet Pro (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/343589-cups-hp-officejet-pro.html)

James 03-18-2010 03:11 PM

CUPS and hp OfficeJet Pro

James <wireless <at> tampabay.rr.com> writes:

> Maybe some printer wiz will figure out how to just
> edit the /etc/cups/printers.conf file directly....

Well, I hate to keep answering my own posts....
surely one of the more astute admins will jump in?
(and keep me from looking.....foolish?)

So continuing to research this I find some new-2-me flags
on gentoo:

eix hplip
* net-print/hplip
Available versions: 2.8.6b ~3.9.8-r3 3.9.12-r1 ~3.10.2 {cupsddk dbus doc
fax gtk +hpcups hpijs libnotify minimal -new-hpcups parport policykit ppds qt4
scanner snmp static-ppds -udev-acl}

eix -e cups
[i] net-print/cups
Available versions: 1.3.11-r1!t (~)1.3.11-r2!t (~)1.4.2-r1!t {X acl avahi
dbus debug gnutls java (+)jpeg kerberos ldap linguas_da linguas_de linguas_en
linguas_es linguas_et linguas_eu linguas_fi linguas_fr linguas_he linguas_id
linguas_it linguas_ja linguas_ko linguas_nl linguas_no linguas_pl linguas_pt
linguas_pt_BR linguas_ru linguas_sv linguas_zh linguas_zh_TW pam perl php (+)png
ppds python samba slp (+)ssl static (+)tiff xinetd zeroconf}

ef (explain flag) is a little script from Ciaran...

ef cupsddk
Add support for net-print/cupsddk which enables dynamic PPD files (recommended)

ef hpcups
Build the hpcups driver for cups (by HP)

ef new-hpcups
Build the new hpcups driver for cups which is no longer based on APDK (by HP)

Sooooo, my question is has anyone any knowledge of these flags
and with cups (/etc/cups/ppd/*driver*)

???

James

Dale 03-18-2010 03:40 PM

CUPS and hp OfficeJet Pro

James wrote:

James<wireless<at> tampabay.rr.com> writes:

Maybe some printer wiz will figure out how to just
edit the /etc/cups/printers.conf file directly....

Well, I hate to keep answering my own posts....
surely one of the more astute admins will jump in?
(and keep me from looking.....foolish?)

So continuing to research this I find some new-2-me flags
on gentoo:

< snip>

Sooooo, my question is has anyone any knowledge of these flags
and with cups (/etc/cups/ppd/*driver*)

???

James

This is what I have for use FLAGS:

root@smoker ~ # emerge -pv hplip cups

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild R ] net-print/cups-1.3.11-r1 USE="X acl avahi dbus gnutls
java jpeg ldap pam perl png ppds python ssl tiff zeroconf -kerberos -php
-samba -slp -static -xinetd" LINGUAS="en -de -es -et -fr -he -id -it -ja
-pl -sv -zh_TW" 0 kB
[ebuild R ] net-print/hplip-3.9.12-r1 USE="gtk hpcups libnotify
parport qt4 -doc -fax -hpijs -minimal -new-hpcups -policykit -scanner
-snmp -static-ppds -udev-acl" 0 kB

Total: 2 packages (2 reinstalls), Size of downloads: 0 kB

* IMPORTANT: 1 news items need reading for repository 'gentoo'.
* Use eselect news to read news items.

root@smoker ~ #

I have a HP printer too. I went into cups and looked for your printer,
your model is in there. So, if you duplicate my USE flags, you should
be able to find your printer in that LOOOOONG list of printers.

I think ppds and hpcups is the key ones. I would at least start with
those.

Hope that helps.

Dale

:-) :-)

James 03-18-2010 04:50 PM

CUPS and hp OfficeJet Pro

Dale <rdalek1967 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I think ppds and hpcups is the key ones. I would at least start with
> those.

So hplip and cups work together? I thought is was one
or the other?

You use the hpcups flag and not the new-hpcups flag?

James

James 03-18-2010 05:13 PM

CUPS and hp OfficeJet Pro

Dale <rdalek1967 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> [ebuild R ] net-print/cups-1.3.11-r1 USE="X acl avahi dbus gnutls
> java jpeg ldap pam perl png ppds python ssl tiff zeroconf -kerberos -php
> -samba -slp -static -xinetd" LINGUAS="en -de -es -et -fr -he -id -it -ja
> -pl -sv -zh_TW" 0 kB

I could not help but notice the avahi and zeroconf flags. I do not
see them. Do I have to install mono-zeroconf and avahi to see those
flags?

Do you find them useful? What applications are using avahi/zeroconf ?

curiously,
James

Neil Bothwick 03-18-2010 05:34 PM

CUPS and hp OfficeJet Pro

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 17:50:14 +0000 (UTC), James wrote:

> So hplip and cups work together? I thought is was one
> or the other?

hplip is a set of drivers, for use by CUPS and other programs.

--
Neil Bothwick

Programmer (n): A red-eyed, mumbling mammal capable of conversing
with inanimate objects.

Dale 03-18-2010 06:52 PM

CUPS and hp OfficeJet Pro