Old 03-18-2010, 07:31 PM
Mike Edenfield

Default CUPS and hp OfficeJet Pro

On 3/18/2010 3:55 PM, Dale wrote:

> I think avahi is a KDE thing. I don't really know what zeroconf is. If
> I recall correctly, some package said it had to have that so I turned it
> on. No clue what it is even after looking up the definition with euse.
> May as well be Greek. ;-)

Zeroconf is a set of technologies that are supposed to generate a fully
working IP network with no user or operator intervention. It includes
three basic parts: link-local network config (e.g. IPv4LL), distribution
hostname resolution (multicast DNS), and automatic service and device
discovery (DNS service discovery).

Used in the context of applications or services, you're usually talking
specifically about the autodiscovery portion, which allows applications
to find services and network devices automatically. It was primarily
invented at Apple, who developed mDNS and DNS-SD, and is built into OS X
as Bonjour.

Avahi is just a free-software implementation of Bonjour (which was
originally under the not-entirely-free Apple Public License), and from
what I've read has practically overtaken Bonjour in terms of performance
and features.

Back onto the topic at hand: emerging cups with +zeroconf allows it to
respond to service discovery requests. By default CUPS uses
mDNSResponder, which is Apple's implementation; with +avahi is uses
avahi instead. This means any Mac on your network will automatically
see CUPS printers, as will any Linux client with avahi properly
installed. Windows machines with iTunes or Safari installed probably
have Bonjour as well, so they'd also benefit.

On a side-note: CUPS 1.4 stopped supporting Avahi and only supports
Apple's implementation, so the Gentoo devs have disabled zeroconf
support completely until CUPS 1.5 (or whatever) brings back native Avahi
support.

--Mike

Old 03-19-2010, 04:20 AM
Philip Webb

100318 Daniel Pielmeier wrote:
>> hpcups
> Is the new printer driver which replaces the hpijs driver.
>> hpijs
> See above.

Well, I replaced 'hpijs' with 'hpcups' & my printer wouldn't work,
so I restored 'hpijs' & dropped 'hpcups' & all was ok.
It's an ancient Deskjet 500C with the b+w '500' driver.
Installed versions: Cups-1.3.11-r1 Hplip-3.9.12-r1 (both stable).

Any comments or helpful suggestions ?

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb

Old 03-19-2010, 07:56 AM
Dale

Mike Edenfield wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the corrections. I thought it was a KDE thing because KDE
pulled it in on here. It appears to have more than one use. That's good.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 03-19-2010, 01:44 PM
James

Daniel Pielmeier <billie <at> gentoo.org> writes:

> You don't need avahi or zeroconf for hplip, which does not work for current
> versions of hplip due to bugs in cups anyway. This is only needed if you have a
> networked printer. You can still detect the printer without the mDNS
> (avahi,zeroconf) method through SLP. You should be able to select the detection
> method at run time with hp-setup.

hplip and cups are working fine together. Here are my flags
(for now) that are working fine:

net-print/cups-1.4.2-r1 USE="X acl dbus java jpeg ldap pam
perl php png python slp ssl tiff

net-print/hplip-3.9.12-r1 USE="gtk hpcups qt4 scanner snmp

Agreed. My printers all have ethernet; work off of the socket.
However, the printer supports mDNS (from the embedded web server)

"
Enable mDNS
This specifies the mDNS service name assigned to the device. This name is a
string that can consist of any UTF-8 characters and can be up to 63 bytes in
length. (If ASCII characters are used, the name can be up to 63 characters long,
but if other characters are used, the name might be shorter.) This name is
persistent and is used to resolve a particular device if socket information
(such as the IP address) changes from session to session. Apple Bonjour uses
this service. The default service name is the printer model and the LAN Hardware
(MAC) address.

mDNS Service Name: "

My experience is embedded software development companies are all
over "zeroconf".

Open source folks are all about avahi.

Most are confused, but not on this list, folks did a good job
of fleshing out the minutia.....
The whole zeroconf thing is very similar to the functions of
snmp, just extended and repackaged, methinks.

The printer is very cool.....
and less than $200 US at costco....

Thanks to all concerning zeroconf et all.

Thanks for the flags discussion.

Working great.
James

Old 03-19-2010, 07:35 PM
Daniel Pielmeier

Philip Webb schrieb am 19.03.2010 06:20:
> 100318 Daniel Pielmeier wrote:
>>> hpcups
>> Is the new printer driver which replaces the hpijs driver.
>>> hpijs
>> See above.
>
> Well, I replaced 'hpijs' with 'hpcups' & my printer wouldn't work,
> so I restored 'hpijs' & dropped 'hpcups' & all was ok.
> It's an ancient Deskjet 500C with the b+w '500' driver.
> Installed versions: Cups-1.3.11-r1 Hplip-3.9.12-r1 (both stable).
>
> Any comments or helpful suggestions ?

As you sad it is a very old model and already reached "End of support" [1]
state. Hpcups is the new driver and I guess such old models are not supported by
the new driver. Just use the hpijs driver then. The hpijs driver wont disappear
from hplip in the near future.

[1] http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/models/deskjet/deskjet_500c.html

--
Daniel Pielmeier

Old 03-19-2010, 11:38 PM
Peter Humphrey

(I sent this 24 hours ago but it hasn't appeared, so I'm sending it
again.)

On Friday 19 March 2010 05:20:47 Philip Webb wrote:

> Well, I replaced 'hpijs' with 'hpcups' & my printer wouldn't work,
> so I restored 'hpijs' & dropped 'hpcups' & all was ok.

I considered doing the same for my DJ4260, but I chickened out as I've
only just managed to get it working at all after months of struggling,
culminating with a complete reinstallation of the server it's connected
to. It stays exactly as it is pro tem:

[ebuild R ] net-print/cups-1.3.11-r1 USE="X acl dbus jpeg pam perl
php png python ssl tiff -avahi -gnutls -java -kerberos -ldap -ppds -samba
-slp -static -xinetd -zeroconf"
[ebuild R ] net-print/hplip-3.9.12-r1 USE="hpcups hpijs libnotify -
doc -fax -gtk -minimal -new-hpcups -parport -policykit -qt4 -scanner -
snmp -static-ppds -udev-acl" 0 kB

--
Rgds
Peter.