Old 03-18-2010, 12:37 PM
James

Default CUPS and hp OfficeJet Pro

Hello,

I've successfully set up many printers, using cups and HPLIP
before. I prefer to use CUPS.

So I cannot find an explicit listing for this new model HP printer:
"OfficeJet Pro 8500"; so I'm using this driver:
HP OfficeJet Pro 1150C.

Everything works, admin from localhost:631 for CUPS;
HP printer admin from the embedded web server (very cool). It
has a multitude of settings, but no duplex setting. I'm trying
to avoid using the HP disc on an XP system for admin.......

The HP literature clearly states this is a duplex printer.
I can copy both sides of a letter size document to a single
page, just using the menu on the printer. So I can see that
it duplexes. So I'm concluding (for now) that the problem
is the CUPS (best/closest I could choose) driver does not
support Duplex printing.

Does anyone know of an HP OfficeJet driver that supports
duplex printing? I have not been successful in finding a
CUPS drivers specifically for this printer:
HP OfficeJet Pro (A909g) and I really do not want to use HPLIP.

CUPS-1.4.2-r1 is installed.
Any suggestions are most welcome.

James

Old 03-18-2010, 12:53 PM
Dale

James wrote:

[...]

http://opensolaris.org/jive/message.jspa?messageID=400875#400875

About the third one down. Maybe that will help.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 03-18-2010, 01:28 PM
James

Dale <rdalek1967 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> http://opensolaris.org/jive/message.jspa?messageID=400875#400875

I tried those drivers:
6450 and the clj2605 and it made matters worse.

Any other ideas?

Maybe I need to start hacking the /etc/cups/printers.conf
file?

thanks,

James

Old 03-18-2010, 01:39 PM
James

Dale <rdalek1967 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> http://opensolaris.org/jive/message.jspa?messageID=400875#400875
> About the third one down. Maybe that will help.

The best driver I have found, is the
HP OfficeJet Pro 1150C Foomatic/cdj550 (color).

It works fine except no duplex printing.....

Maybe some printer wiz will figure out how to just
edit the /etc/cups/printers.conf file directly....

I've done this before, but, it's very difficult,
for me, and I'd rather avoid it....

For the averturest:

<DefaultPrinter hpop8500>
Info hpop8500
Location Lab-7
MakeModel HP OfficeJet Pro 1150C Foomatic/cdj850
DeviceURI socket://192.168.2.7
State Idle
StateTime 1268923376
Type 8400908
Filter application/vnd.cups-raw 0 -
Filter application/vnd.cups-postscript 0 foomatic-rip
Accepting Yes
Shared No
JobSheets none none
QuotaPeriod 0
PageLimit 0
KLimit 0
OpPolicy default
ErrorPolicy stop-printer
Attribute marker-colors none,none,none,none
Attribute marker-levels 25,58,62,63
Attribute marker-names black ink C4902S,yellow ink C4905S,magenta ink
C4904S,cyan ink C4903S
Attribute marker-types ink,ink,ink,ink
Attribute marker-change-time 1268923376
</Printer>
<Printer LaserJet>
Info LaserJet
MakeModel HP LaserJet Series CUPS v1.1
DeviceURI socket://192.168.2.3
State Idle
StateTime 1225714496
Type 12372
Filter application/vnd.cups-raw 0 -
Filter application/vnd.cups-raster 0 rastertohp
Accepting Yes
Shared Yes
JobSheets none none
QuotaPeriod 0