Old 03-18-2010, 05:39 AM
Alan McKinnon

Default syslog-ng filtering

On Wednesday 17 March 2010 23:43:39 Ralph Slooten wrote:
> On 18 March 2010 09:40, Keith Dart <keith@dartworks.biz> wrote:
> > You can comment that out and then those annoying run-cron entries won't
> > be logged.
>
> Yes, dropping those entries on the client side is an option, however then I
> have to do it for each client in the network. Doing it on the server means
> just once... and it's all local network, no bandwidth isn't an issue
> either.
>
> There are also some cron jobs I do want logged ~ things that run maybe
> weekly or monthly, but some run every minute and really don't need to be
> logged.

And you still have to cater for the case where some joker sends you heaps of
unwanted stuff despite you repeatedly asking him not to.

Or, god forbid, you have to receive logs from Cisco kit.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 03-19-2010, 06:56 AM
Robert Fekete

Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I see Robert responded here earlier. Perhaps he'll see this post and re-look
> at that section in a new light with a view to making a patch

Yes, there are some sections in the admin guide that sorely need a cleanup. I
hope to get to it before summer.

If you see other problems or missing stuff, feedback is most welcome at
documentation@balabit.com or frobert@balabit.hu.

Regards,

Robert