Old 03-16-2010, 08:00 AM
Dirk Uys

Default Udev error and how to fix it.

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 10:42 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:

Guess it's a keyboard error?

Regards

Old 03-16-2010, 08:02 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 03:42:57 -0500, Dale wrote:

In *nix, no output means no error, so it looks like you've already fixed
it

--
Neil Bothwick

"Facts are stubborn things, but statistics are more pliable."
- Mark Twain

Old 03-16-2010, 08:15 AM
Dale

Dirk Uys wrote:
On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 10:42 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com
<mailto:rdalek1967@gmail.com>> wrote:

Guess it's a keyboard error?

Regards

Actually this is a Seamonkey error. Seamonkey 1 doesn't work with some
sites, banking mostly, and Seamonkey 2 just loves to send blanks emails
to mailing lists. I might also add that it is starting to get on my
freaking nerves pretty bad. That was a pretty long message with a lot
of info in it. Thanks for letting me know that Seamonkey was falling
down on the job again. I'm going to get a larger hammer here shortly.
;-) Here goes again.

I rebooted today after almost three months of uptime. I noticed these
messages when booting:

Mar 16 01:55:54 smoker udevd[1275]: BUS= will be removed in a future
udev version, please use SUBSYSTEM= to match the event device, or
SUBSYSTEMS= to match a parent device, in
/lib/udev/rules.d/70-nut-usbups.rules:6
Mar 16 01:55:54 smoker udevd[1275]: SYSFS{}= will be removed in a future
udev version, please use ATTR{}= to match the event device, or ATTRS{}=
to match a parent device, in /lib/udev/rules.d/70-nut-usbups.rules:10
Mar 16 01:55:54 smoker udevd[1275]: SYSFS{}= will be removed in a future
udev version, please use ATTR{}= to match the event device, or ATTRS{}=
to match a parent device, in /lib/udev/rules.d/70-nut-usbups.rules:14
Mar 16 01:55:54 smoker udevd[1275]: SYSFS{}= will be removed in a future
udev version, please use ATTR{}= to match the event device, or ATTRS{}=
to match a parent device, in /lib/udev/rules.d/70-nut-usbups.rules:18
Mar 16 01:55:54 smoker udevd[1275]: SYSFS{}= will be removed in a future
udev version, please use ATTR{}= to match the event device, or ATTRS{}=
to match a parent device, in /lib/udev/rules.d/70-nut-usbups.rules:20
Mar 16 01:55:54 smoker udevd[1275]: SYSFS{}= will be removed in a future
udev version, please use ATTR{}= to match the event device, or ATTRS{}=
to match a parent device, in /lib/udev/rules.d/70-nut-usbups.rules:24
Mar 16 01:55:54 smoker udevd[1275]: SYSFS{}= will be removed in a future
udev version, please use ATTR{}= to match the event device, or ATTRS{}=
to match a parent device, in /lib/udev/rules.d/70-nut-usbups.rules:26
Mar 16 01:55:54 smoker udevd[1275]: SYSFS{}= will be removed in a future
udev version, please use ATTR{}= to match the event device, or ATTRS{}=
to match a parent device, in /lib/udev/rules.d/70-nut-usbups.rules:28
Mar 16 01:55:54 smoker udevd[1275]: SYSFS{}= will be removed in a future
udev version, please use ATTR{}= to match the event device, or ATTRS{}=
to match a parent device, in /lib/udev/rules.d/70-nut-usbups.rules:30
Mar 16 01:55:54 smoker udevd[1275]: SYSFS{}= will be removed in a future
udev version, please use ATTR{}= to match the event device, or ATTRS{}=
to match a parent device, in /lib/udev/rules.d/70-nut-usbups.rules:32
Mar 16 01:55:54 smoker udevd[1275]: SYSFS{}= will be removed in a future
udev version, please use ATTR{}= to match the event device, or ATTRS{}=
to match a parent device, in /lib/udev/rules.d/70-nut-usbups.rules:34
Mar 16 01:55:54 smoker udevd[1275]: SYSFS{}= will be removed in a future
udev version, please use ATTR{}= to match the event device, or ATTRS{}=
to match a parent device, in /lib/udev/rules.d/70-nut-usbups.rules:36
Mar 16 01:55:54 smoker udevd[1275]: SYSFS{}= will be removed in a future
udev version, please use ATTR{}= to match the event device, or ATTRS{}=
to match a parent device, in /lib/udev/rules.d/70-nut-usbups.rules:38
Mar 16 01:55:54 smoker udevd[1275]: SYSFS{}= will be removed in a future
udev version, please use ATTR{}= to match the event device, or ATTRS{}=
to match a parent device, in /lib/udev/rules.d/70-nut-usbups.rules:42

There are more but they are all pretty close to this. I googled and
searched the forums and the best fix seemed to be to delete the files in
/etc/udev/, re-emerge udev andthen reboot. So I did that. I still get
the same error message tho. Some more info:

root@smoker / # uname -r
2.6.30-gentoo-r8
root@smoker / # emerge -pv udev

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild R ] sys-fs/udev-149 USE="devfs-compat -extras (-selinux)
-test" 0 kB

Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 kB

* IMPORTANT: 1 news items need reading for repository 'gentoo'.
* Use eselect news to read news items.

root@smoker / #

I'm also still on baselayout 1 as well. Is this udev? Is it something
else? What's the deal here? What am I missing?

Thanks

Dale

:-) :-)

P. S. Deleting those udev files tinkered with the names of my network
cards. So, if anyone reading this deletes those files, you may have to
dig around to find out which card is which again. Good thing is, they
are back in order again instead of jumping up, down then back up again.
lol

Old 03-16-2010, 08:18 AM
Dale