Old 03-15-2010, 09:11 PM
Paul Hartman

Default getting firmware for orinoco pcmcia card

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 3:35 PM, Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@nyu.edu> wrote:
> I am installing gentoo on an old machine without wireless builtin.
>
> I have a hermes/orinoco pcmcia card that works fine. Indeed the
> wireless "works fine", but is not right.
>
> When booting there is a very long delay at the net.eth1 and the system
> wants the agere_sta_fw.bin firmware. If you wait it out, it eventually
> proceeds and the wireless works. I assume I should be getting the
> firmware, but I don't know from where. I did emerge the orinoco-fwutils
> but that doesn't have firmware or say where to get it.

You have to find and download the windows drivers for your device and
extract the firmware out of them, then rename it and put it in
/lib/firmware. See here:

http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/orinoco#device_firmware

A google search turned up this firmware link:
http://marc.info/?l=orinoco-devel&m=121078835610877&q=p3

I don't have this card so I have no idea if it'll work for you. I hope
it at least helps lead you int he right direction.