-   -   umount nfs share (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/341835-umount-nfs-share.html)

Harry Putnam 03-15-2010 12:18 PM

umount nfs share

I'm trying t umount an nfs mounted share but am told the resource is
busy. umount -f fails too.

So first I turned off all the xterms I had running which should have
killed any shell operating there.

Still says resouce is busy.

So trying to see what is doing it with `lsof'

However, when I run `lsof' (no arguments), it fails to produce any
output.

Just been setting there for 5-6 minutes, now. When I know from past
use it should have produced quite a pile of output.

I tried a lsof option that is supposed to show specifically nfs
related

( lsof -b /nfs/mount/point)

So trying it on the one reporting `busy'
lsof -b /projects

Which gave a gout of output with this kind of stuff in it:

lsof: avoiding readlink(/projects): -b was specified.
lsof: avoiding readlink(/): -b was specified.
lsof: avoiding stat(/): -b was specified.
lsof: WARNING: can't stat() rootfs file system /
Output information may be incomplete.
lsof: avoiding readlink(/): -b was specified.
lsof: avoiding stat(/): -b was specified.
lsof: WARNING: can't stat() reiserfs file system /
Output information may be incomplete.

[...]

Anyone know what might be going on here?

Neil Bothwick 03-15-2010 10:20 PM

umount nfs share

On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 08:18:10 -0500, Harry Putnam wrote:

> I'm trying t umount an nfs mounted share but am told the resource is
> busy. umount -f fails too.

What about umount -l?

--
Neil Bothwick

Angular Momentum Makes The World Go 'Round

Kacper Kopczyński 03-16-2010 12:32 AM

umount nfs share

Dnia 2010-03-15, o godz. 08:18:10
Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> napisał(a):

> I'm trying t umount an nfs mounted share but am told the resource is
> busy. umount -f fails too.
>
> So first I turned off all the xterms I had running which should have
> killed any shell operating there.
>
> Still says resouce is busy.
>
> So trying to see what is doing it with `lsof'
>
> However, when I run `lsof' (no arguments), it fails to produce any
> output.
>
> Just been setting there for 5-6 minutes, now. When I know from past
> use it should have produced quite a pile of output.
>
> I tried a lsof option that is supposed to show specifically nfs
> related
>
> ( lsof -b /nfs/mount/point)
>
> So trying it on the one reporting `busy'
> lsof -b /projects
>
> Which gave a gout of output with this kind of stuff in it:
>
> lsof: avoiding readlink(/projects): -b was specified.
> lsof: avoiding readlink(/): -b was specified.
> lsof: avoiding stat(/): -b was specified.
> lsof: WARNING: can't stat() rootfs file system /
> Output information may be incomplete.
> lsof: avoiding readlink(/): -b was specified.
> lsof: avoiding stat(/): -b was specified.
> lsof: WARNING: can't stat() reiserfs file system /
> Output information may be incomplete.
>
> [...]
>
> Anyone know what might be going on here?

Perhaps server is not responding... so make it respond :)
If that is the case add some rule to firewall or /etc/hosts to redirect
requests to localhost (use REJECT not DROP). And then try
again unmounting.

--
Kacper Kopczyński