-   -   MASKED Tilde with no `arch' what does it mean (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/341655-masked-tilde-no-arch-what-does-mean.html)

Harry Putnam 03-15-2010 02:34 AM

Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> writes:

> On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 18:19:03 -0500, Harry Putnam wrote:
>
>> Ok, fine but first I want to find out what the unexplained tilde
>> means. There are only a handfull of packagew with that notation in the
>> masked file... where do look to find out its meaning?
>
> Try man 5 ebuild.
>
> "~ means match any revision of the base version specified."

Thanks... now I can go ahead and trash my system... hehe.

Seriously, Do you know why emacs-24 is masked like that?

What little I know of Ulrich Mueller is that he is quite a stalwart
fellow and not much would get by him. I guess its just that its the
cvs version eh?

Neil Bothwick 03-15-2010 07:35 AM

On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 22:34:41 -0500, Harry Putnam wrote:

> Seriously, Do you know why emacs-24 is masked like that?
>
> What little I know of Ulrich Mueller is that he is quite a stalwart
> fellow and not much would get by him. I guess its just that its the
> cvs version eh?

Yes, CVS ebuilds are generally masked as they are too good a means of
breaking things to be installed without manual unmasking. Copy the mask
line to /etc/portage/package.unmask/emacs to see if it breaks for you.

--
Neil Bothwick

Fill what's empty, empty what's full, scratch where it itches.

Harry Putnam 03-15-2010 11:42 AM

MASKED Tilde with no `arch' what does it mean

Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> writes:

> On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 22:34:41 -0500, Harry Putnam wrote:
>
>> Seriously, Do you know why emacs-24 is masked like that?
>>
>> What little I know of Ulrich Mueller is that he is quite a stalwart
>> fellow and not much would get by him. I guess its just that its the
>> cvs version eh?
>
> Yes, CVS ebuilds are generally masked as they are too good a means of
> breaking things to be installed without manual unmasking. Copy the mask
> line to /etc/portage/package.unmask/emacs to see if it breaks for you.

No, no apparent problems.

But didn't we used to get `emacs-cvs' unmasked just with ~<ARCH>.

Before it changed to emacs-vcs... I don't recall having to manually
unmask it that way.